Confirmed with Link: Sheahan and '18 5th round pick to the Penguins for Scott Wilson and 3rd round pick in '18

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Sheahan goes down with McCollum as another example a terrible first round pick by Detroit. Add Smith and Kindl, Detroit's first rounders prior to Larkin haven't done much.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is there any cap penalty if Kronwall retires this offseason? I know it's the case with 35+ contracts.

I thought he signed before 35, or maybe not.

Edit - Looks like he signed his deal before he even turned 30, so if he retires I think we would clear his cap hit.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sheahan goes down with McCollum as another example a terrible first round pick by Detroit. Add Smith and Kindl, Detroit's first rounders prior to Larkin haven't done much.
I mean, they were all picked in the 20+ range and most turned into NHL players. Some players picked in the bottom half of the first round don't even play NHL games. More often than not late first round picks don't amount to much.

I would be curious to know how Jacob Markstrom would have done if he was drafted by Detroit and not Florida. I know Hakan was critical (allegedly) about them taking McCollum instead.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is there any cap penalty if Kronwall retires this offseason? I know it's the case with 35+ contracts.

Kronwall’s deal is subject to recapture, so yes.

If he retires at the end of this season, I believe we’d be on the hook for 3 million the following season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Holland has had since when? Since Daley signed?

Poor previous performance is no excuse for not finding a way to get things done today.

If you can't find a taker for Helm at $4M, eat a million.

Holland needs to start solving the serious cap crunch he's about to have. He can't do it if he continues under the delusion that the Red Wings are a playoff team.

We know this crunch was coming.
We knew this before the Daley signing. Holland signed him anyways.

Holland needs to be working the phones on a regular basis trying to unload Howard, Helm, Ericsson, Nielsen even if it means eating some contract.

There are some desperate teams out there.
Montreal is desperate. I can see them taking Nielsen at C.
Boston lost Rask.

Edmonton could be hitting panic mode soon.
The Coyotes are a disgrace.

Trading away a youngish, RFA C making $2M a year seems like a patch, not a solution.

Holland did get things done today, though. He needed to clear cap/roster space and dealt a guy who has seriously eroded in our system, while getting someone who appears to be a serviceable bottom6 forward back and a higher pick. And it is a long term move because it clears Sheahan from our cap obligations for the next several years where we would have seen us continually extending qualifying offers to him, hoping he found his game again.

Is this my first choice for a move? No, but that doesn't make it a bad one.

With Helm, Nielsen, et al., no one wanted them three months ago, either. They're not going to want them three months from now, at least not without us either keeping a good chunk of salary, taking a worse return, or taking salary back. Or a combination of all three. And it's unlikely we buy them out because of the way their deals dive off on the backend with low salaries, which drive up the buyout cap hit.

I'd love to see us be able to move on from some of these guys ASAP, but it's probably just not going to happen until they are down to a year or two left on their deals. The bright side is that I think Holland will be able to get by the next few years as he's been doing, scraping the cap ceiling, massaging LTIR, and making small, cap saving deals. It also handicaps us in trade talks because we can't take salary back without shipping some the other way, and a big chunk of our roster is locked in place.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I would be curious to know how Jacob Markstrom would have done if he was drafted by Detroit and not Florida. I know Hakan was critical (allegedly) about them taking McCollum instead.
He can be critical all he wants, he didn't suggest Roman Josi now did he?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Why would he suggest Josi? He scouts Swedish players, Josi is Swiss and played in the Swiss leagues. Also, we don’t even know if he did or not.
Was just pointing out that debating McCollum / Markstrom is kind of pointless when they could have had Josi. Shouldnt have linked the 2, but at the same time they were half right in not going with his recommendation.

For his reputation I want to hear his criticism be "I told you don't pick a goalie before round 5 there's this Lindback kid".

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Holland needs to be working the phones on a regular basis trying to unload Howard, Helm, Ericsson, Nielsen even if it means eating some contract..

This isn't NHL 18 where you can just choose a team you want to unload a bad contract on

nobody is going to take those contracts unless holland adds other significant pieces with it. also all those players have some kind of ntc or nmc which will make it even harder

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The only moveable contracts are players like Sproul and Sheahan. Low risk.

Any sane GM that is willing to take on Helm, Ericsson or Abdelakder would ask for hefty compensation for doing so. Now despite their negative value, it would be even more costly to trade them away. We are stuck with those hideous contracts for their entire duration.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sheahan was an okay pick. Not what you want but for a late 1st, you can certainly do a lot worse.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
This isn't NHL 18 where you can just choose a team you want to unload a bad contract on

nobody is going to take those contracts unless holland adds other significant pieces with it. also all those players have some kind of ntc or nmc which will make it even harder

People say that. But teams have needs.
Montreal desperately needs a center.

Secondly, Holland doesn't get a pass for not being to trade the contracts he signed.

The problem isn't that Holland can't trade these guys. It's that he doesn't want to.

Reactions: StargateSG1

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Secondly, Holland doesn't get a pass for not being to trade the contracts he signed.

The problem isn't that Holland can't trade these guys. It's that he doesn't want to.
We have no need to move those contracts right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

He doesn't get a pass for giving those guys NTCs, but they have them and that doesn't change.

I'm sure there's teams out there that need a center but not an awful contract on their roster.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
It's silly to think you can move healthy veterans with lots of salary and term left on their deal. Teams will take on the Clarkson/Pronger/Savard/Horton deals where they can stash them on LTIR but they don't disrupt their lineup plans.

With a guy like Sheahan, the Pens needed in a bottom 6 center. It was a logical move.

You can't just get rid of a contract because teams still want to fill out a lineup how they see fit. For lack of a better word...they're stuck with most of what they have unless they buy them out of they are seriously hurt like Franzen and you can LTIR for eternity.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

Holland has created several extremely difficult contracts to trade. that is not giving him a pass, it's simply stating reality.

no team is going to take on a long term overpaid contract to an aging veteran unless you are also sending them better pieces along with it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Those contracts will be sold on the final year. That's how it works in current NHL. Every contender is against the cap on multi-year plans and then any slightly bad contract with extra years is pretty much untradeable on the trade-deadline.

But on the trade deadline, on the final year, they have good value. And that's our long term plan. Sell everyone on the trade deadline, when they hit the final year.

2018 deadline
- Mike Green

- Niklas Kronwall (if not LTIRetired before that)
- Jimmy Howard (if not being successful)
- Gustav Nyquist

- Jonathan Ericsson
- Trevor Daley

- Darren Helm
- Luke Glendening

- Frans Nielsen
- Dan DeKeyser

- Justin Abdelkader

I think Jimmy will be kept and Kronner will be LTIRetire. But Nielsen and Daley were signed, to help the team a bit, but also to be sold in the future. Contracts are obviously structured that way. NMCs will disappear in the end and salaries are lowest in the end. Very good cheap depth veterans to be sold for contenders of that time.

Holland did this already with Kindl, Smith and Vanek. And will repeat it every year if we are out of playoff race.

If you trade Green, Nyquist, Ericsson, Daley, Nielsen, that's at least 5 extra draft picks. Probably more.

Last edited:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Those contracts will be sold on the final year. That's how it works in current NHL. Every contender is against the cap on multi-year plans and then any slightly bad contract with extra years is pretty much untradeable on the trade-deadline.

But on the trade deadline, on the final year, they have good value. And that's our long term plan. Sell everyone on the trade deadline, when they hit the final year.

2018 deadline
- Mike Green

- Gustav Nyquist

- Jonathan Ericsson
- Trevor Daley

- Darren Helm
- Luke Glendening

- Frans Nielsen
- Dan DeKeyser

- Justin Abdelkader

I think Jimmy will be kept and Kronner will be LTIRetire. But Nielsen and Daley were signed, to help the team a bit, but also to be sold in the future. Contracts are obviously structured that way. NMCs will disappear in the end and salaries are lowest in the end. Very good cheap depth veterans to be sold for contenders of that time.

Holland did this already with Kindl, Smith and Vanek. And will repeat it every year if we are out of playoff race.

If you trade Green, Nyquist, Ericsson, Daley, Nielsen, that's at least 5 extra draft picks. Probably more.

Besides Nyquist and Green im not sure how much value any of those players will have by the time their contracts expire. 5 extra draft picks is pretty hopeful and I don't think many of them would fetch anything that great if traded.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

2018 deadline
- Mike Green

- Gustav Nyquist

- Jonathan Ericsson
- Trevor Daley

- Darren Helm
- Luke Glendening

- Frans Nielsen
- Dan DeKeyser

- Justin Abdelkader

As of right now i only see Green and possibly Nyquist being trade candidates, Daley and Nielsen aren't going anywhere. Ericsson more or less could be a buy out candidate next summer if Holland wanted to open up a little more cap here. Daley could be TDL bait in his last year Nielsen i guess could be trade bait if he felt that the team was heading in the wrong direction for his liking. But that's probably at least another 3 years away or so.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well Ericsson has a no trade, I really dont think Kronbad will be here through the end of the year.
Mrazek is going no where, Wilson will not be here.

Mrazek is going no where?

I highly suspect we basically just let him walk. (we will let him become UFA, and offer him a low backup pay (1.5M))

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
We'll have what, like around 15 mil coming off the books after the 18/19 season. Unless Holland signs some horrible deals that off season we shouldn't have to worry about our cap going forward.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Way late to the party, but man am I happy about this trade. Hopefully there's no thought to bringing Riley back in FA this summer. Wish him all the best, but he was a nothing here, and he wasn't improving. Hopefully a new team and new management can wring some additional talent out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad