Confirmed with Link: Sheahan and '18 5th round pick to the Penguins for Scott Wilson and 3rd round pick in '18

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Riley Sheahan for Scott Wilson and exchange of picks is the deal. Detroit-Pittsburgh trade.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It happened! Good luck Riley, hope you can pot a few and throw around some apples on the Pens.

I agree, Kenny did good today.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I like how Scott Wilson plays and think he'll be a good bottom 6 addition. I really like this trade as Sheahan's place on this team isn't there anymore.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wilson is a pretty solid piece for you guys to get. He wasn't getting chances in Pittsburgh due to a numbers game, but I think he'll be given more chances with Detroit. He's kinda a jack of all trades kind of player, which sadly pushed him out of the lineup for guys that had some sort of special skills (Kuhnhackl with his PKing, Reaves with his toughness, ect). Has some grit, has some speed, has some talent..but it's just all "some" for that. I think he's a good piece to get for a struggling player like Sheahan though. I think both teams come out of this deal happy.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wings might still have to send someone down to the AHL to fit AA in, the numbers are close. Need to see the nitty gritty details on the AA contract and what the adjusted AAV turns out to be.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wilson's a guy who makes all the right decisions to be a 2nd line forward (edit: should specify low-end 2nd line forward) and plays bigger than he is, but hasn't been able to score at the NHL level frequently enough to not get bounced back to the fourth line eventually. It's possible he just had bad luck last year (seemed like he was getting robbed at least once a game), but it's also possible he's just out-sized (doesn't have the explosive skating smaller guys usually use to compensate).

Worst case scenario, Detroit's got a decent fourth liner with better than normal offensive instincts, who does a little bit of everything.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I really don't even care that Detroit received a player in return. Just happy that Sheahan is gone.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I like the trade. I think Sheahan was the better player, but his time was up in Detroit. Holland saved 1.5M in the deal, upgraded the pick and paved the way for AA. Wilson isn't a slouch either - he had 26 pts in Pittsburgh last year, playing mostly with Cullen and Fehr.

Now I think that another minor deal has to happen, like someone sent to GR temporarily for a paper transaction or Booth to GR.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m ‘OK’ with it.

A little annoyed because Pitt desperately needed a 3c and I actually think Sheahan will help them there... so yeah, not a fan of anything that helps them.

But I do like picking up the 3rd, so that we have two 2nd’s and two 3’rds. Even though we are probably talking about swapping an early 5th for a late 3rd. I’ve always thought Wilson was solid for them but not sure we need another winger. Like at all.

Honestly if it was another team I’d like this trade better.. lol.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
this is a good deal. would rather have had kuhnhackl than wilson, but in a situation like this, i'll take whatever i can get. important thing was to shed some deadweight. sheahan isn't a bad player, and best of luck to him, but we are relatively strong down the middle and he was being grossly overpaid for a 4th liner. glad i never have to see him on our PP again.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wilson has stood out to me a couple times for the Pens so I’m happy with the move.

Also, it’s nice to finally be free of the nagging hope that Smith, Jurco, Sheahan, and Sproul would ever turn out for us.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you guys will like Wilson. He's developed a real physical dimension to his game and I think he still has some untapped offensive upside. His potential is a less productive version of Chris Kunitz before the wheels fell off.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Both trades seem pretty good for us. Even if Wilson doesn't work out for us, we move up a couple rounds in a good draft, and remove Sheahan from our PP, which could obviously only be great for our PP. Any way we could trade the coach that thought a 2 goals in 90 or so games player was a good idea on the pp in the first place? Sproul doesn't seem like he is going to be an NHL player, so not really a loss in my opinion. Puempel gets another fresh start, so we will see how he goes.

Actually refreshing to see Holland make a roster for roster trade, first one in forever. Even if he was forced to do it for cap reasons.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Rutherford trashing us lol. We don't have good players, nobody is excited to play here. What sucks is that he's not wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad