Shea Weber's injury : Career ending?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The bar is pretty high for d-men IMO. Very good player for many years that just couldn't get over the hump when it comes to the Norris. More of a two-way guy, his numbers are good-not great. Tough call. I think there will be a similar debate about his former ex-partner Ryan Suter.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
2x 1st AST
2x 2nd AST
3x Norris finalist
5x Norris top 5
9x Norris top 10

Whoever thinks he isn't getting in is delusional af lol. Find one other Dman with those kind of Norris finishes who isn't in the HHOF? Guys like Andreychuck, Gartner and Carbonneau who never came close to sniffing ASTs are in the hall lol. It's not hard to make the HHOF.

Reactions: ottawa and Voight

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
The bar is pretty high for d-men IMO. Very good player for many years that just couldn't get over the hump when it comes to the Norris. More of a two-way guy, his numbers are good-not great. Tough call. I think there will be a similar debate about his former ex-partner Ryan Suter.

Housley is in the hall so no, the bar isn't pretty high.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
If the Weber injury is indeed career ending, the Leafs will probably pay a premium for his contract. They need to replace Horton and Clarkson on their LTIR after this season after all.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Even if Kypreos knows 100% what the medical situation is, it's not his place to divulge it if there are career-impacting implications. He should have left the "and his future in question" out of it. That's just sensationalism at this point.

As a reporter, isn't it his job to divulge? His job is literally to get as much info as possible and to pass it on to his readers for clicks and views...

It is exactly his place...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, there is lots of clickbait and sensationalism all over the internet, for sure. Lots of people trying to profit off the misfortune of others too. Doesn't mean it's a good look for him.

He's a reporter. He's not doing it for asthetics...come on.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I doubt a ankle sprain that keeps a player away from hockey for 4-6 weeks is career ending.

I guess the speculation is that his ankle is damaged and needs reconstructive surgery and that surgery could end his career(but help his ankle for his life), not necessarily that a basic ankle sprain will end a players career...

Reactions: Curufinwe

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
2x 1st AST
2x 2nd AST
3x Norris finalist
5x Norris top 5
9x Norris top 10

Whoever thinks he isn't getting in is delusional af lol. Find one other Dman with those kind of Norris finishes who isn't in the HHOF? Guys like Andreychuck, Gartner and Carbonneau who never came close to sniffing ASTs are in the hall lol. It's not hard to make the HHOF.

Basically, Weber was in the hall years ago based on his resume. Forget the Norris, Yzerman put up 155 points one year and didn't win the Hart because of Gretzky. Weber had some great years and didn't win because of Lidstrom. Can't fault the guy because he happened to play in a time that coincided with an all time great. Not all Norris years are created equal. And obviously looking at those Norris finishes, Weber was no flash in the pan.

Reactions: Canadienna

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Well well, looks like Kypreos' plan to get a top trending tweet has succeed. Bravo, sir!

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Even if Kypreos knows 100% what the medical situation is, it's not his place to divulge it if there are career-impacting implications. He should have left the "and his future in question" out of it. That's just sensationalism at this point.
Oh well. If he hadn’t, someone else would have. That’s the reality.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Basically, Weber was in the hall years ago based on his resume. Forget the Norris, Yzerman put up 155 points one year and didn't win the Hart because of Gretzky. Weber had some great years and didn't win because of Lidstrom. Can't fault the guy because he happened to play in a time that coincided with an all time great. Not all Norris years are created equal. And obviously looking at those Norris finishes, Weber was no flash in the pan.

Never mind that Weber lost two of those Norris' by the smallest of margins, including Lidstroms lifetime achievement award in 2011.

Stevens never won a Norris since he played against guys like Bourque, Chelios, Coffey and Leetch. Same with park vs Orr, Potvin.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I know he gets a lot of hate but Housley is 4th all-time in defenseman scoring with 1232 points. That's the dimension Weber doesn't have even though he is a superior d-man in his own zone.

Weber is top 20 on the all-time D-man goal scoring list, up against a lot of players who put up inflated #s in the 80s also. Most of them player more games than Weber, another couple of 20 goal seasons could move him up a lot of spots. Same goals per game as Housely around 0.22.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Weber is top 20 on the all-time D-man goal scoring list, up against a lot of players who put up inflated #s in the 80s also. Most of them player more games than Weber, another couple of 20 goal seasons could move him up a lot of spots. Same goals per game as Housely around 0.22.

We're dancing around this. Weber has 568 career points. Housley has 1232. I know Housley's numbers are inflated by playing in a high-scoring era but that's a huge difference. I like Weber. I think he's had an excellent career and IMO a case could be made that he is HOF worthy. I'm just saying his numbers don't stand out and even though he was close he doesn't have any hardware aside from playing on stacked Team Canada teams. I think that could weigh against him. Maybe not.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I remember reading on the hockey history forum that he lost 2 norris trophies by the closest margins in norris voting history.

When it's that close, little things can make all the difference, such as being more difficult to get noticed in Nashville versus a more traditional hockey market that had more cache.

Reactions: double5son10

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
images

Montreal trades Shea Weber and a 5th round pick to Nashville in exchange for a 4th round pick.
got it wrong, sorry.
Shea Weber and a 5th round pick to Nashville in exchange for Yannick Weber and a 4th round pick ;)

Reactions: Khelandros

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If Nashville re-aquired Weber, would Montreal be on the hook for a re-capture penalty? How does it work?
Nashville would be re-acquiring Weber for the purpose of putting him on LTIR, thereby not having him retire and there being no recapture until his contract was finished.
If Nashville re-acquired him and he was to retire, Montreal would still have a small recapture penalty.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
We're dancing around this. Weber has 568 career points. Housley has 1232. I know Housley's numbers are inflated by playing in a high-scoring era but that's a huge difference. I like Weber. I think he's had an excellent career and IMO a case could be made that he is HOF worthy. I'm just saying his numbers don't stand out and even though he was close he doesn't have any hardware aside from playing on stacked Team Canada teams. I think that could weigh against him. Maybe not.

Unlike Housley, Weber can actually play defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->