Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I’m actually saying this. I love Shea and I think the hate he gets is unwarranted because he’s been nothing short of excellent since he’s been here. People would love him if the Habs acquired him for anyone other than PK.
Unfortunately for Shea Weber, Subban has an emotionally attached fan base (myself included).

Weber has been exactly what I expected. He’s still a good, perfectly competent top pairing D. However, His qualities are rather overrated, thanks to an outdated outlook on the game. I believe the way things have played out solidify this opinion.

He’s just not an exceptional D, especially in this era. That’s what we lost.

Add in 76’s off ice contributions, the way he appealed to non-traditional demographics, and there you have it.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Trading Weber to Leafs makes a ton of sense for both teams. He's basically what they need: safe, elite in Dzone, leadership, tough/big, heavy point shot/One timer option

Leafs got some soon to be expensive young offensive players like Nylander (who'd be a C on a team that doesn't already have Matthews/Kadri/Bozak down middle IMO). Doubt they'll include Dermott though

Something like Nylander (5-6M)+Zaitsev (4.5M)+pick/prospect for Weber (8M) would be fair.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Prior to his injury i thought he was playing great hockey for us, imo i think he gets underrated quite a bit among Habs fans. Obviously he's not as flashy as Subban but i'd argue that he's by far a more efficient dman than him (especially when it comes to smarts/decision making/positioning).

He won't rush the puck in the o-zone on the PP like Subban used to but on the other hand he's much more reliable than PK defensively and he has the best shot in the game, that has value too. Sadly we still don't have a partner for him but i still can't wait to see what he does next season..

BJUqO9P.png

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Isn’t using the SKATR comparison tool flawed as it takes the entire season into account? If Weber played the full year, I understand, but it’s taking Weber up to the point of injury and comparing against Subban’s results for the year.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Isn’t using the SKATR comparison tool flawed as it takes the entire season into account? If Weber played the full year, I understand, but it’s taking Weber up to the point of injury and comparing against Subban’s results for the year.

Yes, if we include the last 2 seasons, the stats are in favor of Subban... This last season, at the beginning of the year, the Habs were so bad, they were trailing games like 0-5 quickly. Those games are weird, the team that loses will often have great advanced stats, when in fact, they were never in the game at all. So I'm not sure we can make any conclusions from those games. Weber's stats were much better this season compared to last year, but most people would agree he was much better in his first season. Small samples can lead to weird results.

Reactions: LaP and Peanut

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yes, if we include the last 2 seasons, the stats are in favor of Subban... This last season, at the beginning of the year, the Habs were so bad, they were trailing games like 0-5 quickly. Those games are weird, the team that loses will often have great advanced stats, when in fact, they were never in the game at all. So I'm not sure we can make any conclusions from those games. Weber's stats were much better this season compared to last year, but most people would agree he was much better in his first season. Small samples can lead to weird results.

Yeah, agreed. Anyhow, I wasn’t trying to make this all about PK and Shea again, but end of the day, my concern is the Habs and the “plan”, whatever that is. I mean, if we are keeping Weber, Price and even Patches, the hope has got to be for our players to over perform this season.

Copy the Vegas formula I guess...

Reactions: ArsHabs and Peanut

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We would get a collasal return for Weber, especially if we retained. Habs in position to do that. But he is good developing young defensemen also.. Mete be an example. It's a tough choice to make.

Jul 6, 2016
We would get a collasal return for Weber, especially if we retained. Habs in position to do that. But he is good developing young defensemen also.. Mete be an example. It's a tough choice to make.

I am pretty sure Weber is not in love with Montreal or with the Habs. This guy would rather be still playing in Nashville ør even out West.

Babcock loves him.

I would take Marner in a heart beat for him, but I would say Kadri would be the return.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am pretty sure Weber is not in love with Montreal or with the Habs. This guy would rather be still playing in Nashville ør even out West.

Babcock loves him.

I would take Marner in a heart beat for him, but I would say Kadri would be the return.
Do that you would be handing Toronto multiply cups.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Of all the vets we have, Weber would be the only one I would keep. I would trade away Max and Price far quicker. Weber seem like the perfect guy to help the kids in a rebuild.
That's just wrong. This guy absolutely disappeared off the face of the earth when he got his little booboo. Hes a terrible leader. Has he said anything in months? Has anyone seen him? Help the kids? The kids don't even know hes on the team.

Reactions: Bieber fever

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm worried about the impacts the foot injury will have on him moving forward. He's a bigger guy, was never the fastest to begin with, he's 33 when the season starts... I wonder what lasting impacts it'll have on him.

Has there been any word on his recovery yet anyways?

In an ideal world we would have traded him this summer for picks and prospects even if we had to retain to just fully commit to the rebuild.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
Of all the vets we have, Weber would be the only one I would keep. I would trade away Max and Price far quicker. Weber seem like the perfect guy to help the kids in a rebuild.

Quite right. Patch is a pantload, and Carey is just grossly overpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->