Player Discussion Shea Weber Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't really say what you're suggesting. In fact you and I both say he isn't at fault. If you're looking for someone to blame though look at his crappy GM.
You're the one that's on this blame crusade.
I simply mentioned two things:
1- he wanted out of Nsh, hence signing with another team.
2- he obviously had a say in the contract he negotiated and agreed to.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Loosening my stance because i realize how pointless this discussion is.

You would agree whether I'm "right"or you're "right" , it means nothing with respect to webers character, right?

But yeah, poile really crapped the bed on that one, that's not up for debate.

character as in, the amazing team player that was basically shopping himself out of Nashville ? ?

cause Weber was interested in re-signing long term right ? and Weber was willing to listen to offers from Poile ? and Weber was not asking for a bank breaking contract or anything ?

So yeah, it'S definitely up for debate, unless you're being hilariously obtuse...

Reactions: Pickles and Peanut

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Since when do RFA can talk to other teams ? People need to stop taking the paranoïa pills and realize that Weber's contract was made without Weber's or his agent's involvement. It was a well constructed contract by a smart GM without any remorse. Hard for any players to not sign it... also who knows how were the negociations between Weber and Nashville were going... I bet they never came close to what Philly was offering.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
character as in, the amazing team player that was basically shopping himself out of Nashville ? ?

cause Weber was interested in re-signing long term right ? and Weber was willing to listen to offers from Poile ? and Weber was not asking for a bank breaking contract or anything ?

So yeah, it'S definitely up for debate, unless you're being hilariously obtuse...
So your opinion is that weber is a money before team loyalty type of guy.

Say you're right. So what? Is that something unique in the nhl? Is he really any different than price or Subban who also tried successfully to maximize their career earnings?

Should he have been punished financially because he was drafted by a poor expansion team?

Do you blame him for what he did? What exactly is your point here.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Especially when you're the one sending it fillers...
So much for his awesome character then...:sarcasm:
If that’s the criteria then every NHL player should play for NHL minimum since playing for maximum is a knock on ones character.

As a matter of fact, I’m ready to bet the farm that every player in the NHL tells their agents to go out there and get the least amount possible for themselves in fear of being judged for bad character.

Example of other horrible character players is Sakic in accepting NYR frontloaded offersheet....Sakic clearly had character problems throughout his career

The mighty Brendan Shanahan also accepted an offersheet, yes, the same Shanahan who is praised for his brilliance in wanting to lose every game so the Leafs can draft Matthews and lose in the first round every year :sarcasm:

(My last paragraph is a little cheap shot at the Leafs who are regarded as godlike as per all Toronto based sports broadcast)

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm just wondering why this offersheet that didn't even affect our team is being discussed 6 years after it occurred.

Imagine going to Dallas' board and they're trying to undermine Radulovs character because of how he left here, or Nashville talking about Subbans negotiations that made him the highest paid defenseman in the league for 4 years...as if that stuff matters to fans of other teams.

But somehow it matters here. You tell me why.

Reactions: jaffy27

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If that’s the criteria then every NHL player should play for NHL minimum since playing for maximum is a knock on ones character.

As a matter of fact, I’m ready to bet the farm that every player in the NHL tells their agents to go out there and get the least amount possible for themselves in fear of being judged for bad character.
It's not bad character to want to get paid as much as you can, it's only bad character if your sorry ass franchise can't afford to pay you, and your sorry ass gm can't figure out a way to pay you what you're worth.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I saw a number of fans encouraging Habs to offer sheet other players as a means of getting them here. Why would we want a player with such low character as to sign one of those?

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I’ll buy this.....there’s no denying he wanted out, just like Radulov at the time, and he obviously read the contract over before they pushed send to the care of Dave Poile.......but accepting 110m$ is not a knock on anyone, especially a player who already wanted out......

Anyways, his leadership has been praised by multiple multiple players and coaches across the league for years

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Example of other horrible character players is Sakic in accepting NYR frontloaded offersheet....Sakic clearly had character problems throughout his career

The mighty Brendan Shanahan also accepted an offersheet, yes, the same Shanahan who is praised for his brilliance in wanting to lose every game so the Leafs can draft Matthews and lose in the first round every year.

I guess you didn't notice the :sarcasm: smiley...
Sensitive subject for you perhaps :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I’ll buy this.....there’s no denying he wanted out, just like Radulov at the time, and he obviously read the contract over before they pushed send to the care of Dave Poile.......but accepting 110m$ is not a knock on anyone, especially a player who already wanted out......

Anyways, his leadership has been praised by multiple multiple players and coaches across the league for years
Never said it was a knock on him.
His leadership has been praised, but I think that means very little in a league that loves intangibles and cliches.
Before ever getting Weber, I have discussed the incredibly overrated hype of leadership in this sport.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm just wondering why this offersheet that didn't even affect our team is being discussed 6 years after it occurred.

Imagine going to Dallas' board and they're trying to undermine Radulovs character because of how he left here, or Nashville talking about Subbans negotiations that made him the highest paid defenseman in the league for 4 years...as if that stuff matters to fans of other teams.

But somehow it matters here. You tell me why.
Wh0 ever said it mattered?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ll buy this.....there’s no denying he wanted out, just like Radulov at the time, ...

Are you sure about that? Radulov was on his last big payday and wanted to get paid -- I didn't see anything where Radulov said he wanted out.

It was purely a money play. Had the Habs paid up, I don't see how he would have taken the Dallas offer. He had spent a year in Montreal and chose the city cause he liked it, he found it to be a safe place for his family, etc.

Bergevin opened the door for a competing offer by playing hardball with him, when he pulled his offer. You'll remember how Dallas's offer came in only after Bergevin had vacated his. And then Bergevin put a foot in his mouth and followed it up with his "take it or leave it" comment and the loyalty epithet.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Are you sure about that? Radulov was on his last big payday and wanted to get paid -- I didn't see anything where Radulov said he wanted out.

It was purely a money play. Had the Habs paid up, I don't see how he would have taken the Dallas offer. He had spent a year in Montreal and chose the city cause he liked it, he found it to be a safe place for his family, etc.

Bergevin opened the door for a competing offer by playing hardball with him, when he pulled his offer. You'll remember how Dallas's offer came in only after Bergevin had vacated his. And then Bergevin put a foot in his mouth and followed it up with his "take it or leave it" comment and the loyalty epithet.

I don't think Radulov wanted out either. He wanted to be paid though and I don't think there was any question he didn't at least deserve it after the season he had, including the playoffs. Whether he was worth it or not is one thing, but at his age and given what he felt he was worth, he wanted to be paid.

I think also, on paper at the time, Dallas probably appeared to be stronger or at least more star studded up front. He probably also felt Dallas was closer to contention than we were. It's a wash now since neither made the playoffs last year, but just saying what he probably felt at the time.

However, I think it was more about the $$$ amounts that led Radulov in leaving. I don't think Shea wanted to leave Nashville either, but he wanted to be paid and the offer-sheet from Philly forced everyone's hands. Maybe Shea wanted to leave, but I suspect he was going to be happy in Nashville, but for the right price.

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I’m talking about Radulov when he was in Nashville

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
We have no clue what went down with Weber and Poile. For all we know he could have offered him a crap contract. So why are we making assumptions and judging?

It's not like it's relevant now either...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We have no clue what went down with Weber and Poile. For all we know he could have offered him a crap contract. So why are we making assumptions and judging?

It's not like it's relevant now either...
It's very likely poile never valued Weber respective to his value around the league evidenced by the arbitrators ruling and subsequent offer sheet. It reminds me of Toronto trying to get nylander to sign for 5m aav because they need room for more important players.

If he would have just grabbed his sack and offered him a 10 year 75m deal like he should have Weber would have reluctantly stayed in Nashville for the money, and poile would have protected his most valuable asset, like a good gm would do.

Instead poile sat on his hands and watched a proactive gm put the franchise he was supposed to be in charge of in a very bad situation.

I'm sure he learned from his mistake, in fairness he had only been a gm for 20 or so years at that point.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

This is how i imagined things went down in Nashville minus the obnoxiousness from the gm.

Poile was trying to appease his owner and in the process lowballed weber.

Weber and his agent put out feelers around the league and both webers camp and poile found out very quickly what his value was settings the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad