Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Why did you choose this very avatar ?
Why did you join in 2018?
What do the 7's in your name mean ?

Still trying to find the relation between Hemlocks and whiskeys, but I'll find it.
Have no idea what you're talking about lol

Reactions: jaffy27

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think its fairly obvious that a guy at 40 is going to decline some- he won't be as effective as he was at 28. There is a reason that the ultimately had to retire.

As to your comment that most didn't make it to 40, tell me which ones of those I listed did not make it to 40? You say most that would imply over half so who are they?

FYI- it might be tough as they all played until 40. Mark Howe is the closest to not making it, being born in May of 1955. He last played in the lockout shortened 1994-95 season but as he was on one of the cup finalists his team played in June that year.
My bad. You're right I should've paid better attention. I didn't think of 40 year old Rob Blake as I had forgotten he trudged along until then.

But I concede! Weber can certainly play until he is 40.

Reactions: CDN24 and jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So saying I find Weber's aura overrated and that it's unnecessary to argue about his intangible intangibles makes me both evil and a troll. Ganged up on. Great community you've got here.

If you talk about negatives on a player that is trending well, you should be prepared to get ganged up on. The impact of Weber in the line-up clearly shows that he is that dam good. Add that aside from his injury, he has very comparable stats at age 30+ vs 30- and I'm not sure what you are seeing?

Reactions: Cobra Commander

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Insane the kind of instant impact he's had on the team since his return. Probably the most important impact is between the pipes...Price actually looks Price.

It helps to have someone on the ice for 25+ mins that can win battles in the corner, get the puck out of the zone effectively and clear the front of the net. He’s a beast.

It’s rare to point to a goal and say it was his fault.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Insane the kind of instant impact he's had on the team since his return. Probably the most important impact is between the pipes...Price actually looks Price.
I don't know if it's actual on-ice play affecting this or just a placebo effect for Price, but I don't even care. It's great.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So saying I find Weber's aura overrated and that it's unnecessary to argue about his intangible intangibles makes me both evil and a troll. Ganged up on. Great community you've got here.
It just seems that you have an issue saying anything positive about the team at all. I don't recall a single post from you that praises anything related to this organization.

I get it . It's been tough being a Habs fan these past couple decades but constantly reading posts whining about everything gets tiresome and frankly, it does sound like trolling after a while.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
A statistic I really like for measuring defensive ability is high danger Corsi percentage. Essentially, it measures the amount of quality chances for and against and puts it into a percentage. So 60 percent means this player will have 60 high quality chances for and 40 against per hundred.

Weber, since joining the habs is third in this category at 56.5 behind Spurgeon and Suter of all the players who played more than 100 games.

It's not the be all end all stat but it's an extremely relevant one especially when you have a goalie like price who can easily stop the low and medium danger chances 99 percent of the time.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Do you also concede that he is the best “Defender” in the world?

So I’m a huge Weber fan but wouldn’t go so far as to say he is the best defender in the world. There have to be guys that play less minutes that are total shut down types. I think you could make an easy argument that he is top 5 for players that play big minutes. I’m sure if I watched 30 teams play 60 games a year I could find a better defender but I am pretty sure there aren’t many better.

Bottom line is there is no real objective criteria to define a top defensive player. But to me, his positioning is unreal, he is almost always in the right spot. And not because he plants himself, quite the opposite - he is constantly challenging on his off side, on zone entry’s, at the other teams blue line. He is incredibly efficient at closing space. This is why you can put any plug with him and that guy suddenly looks NHL material - he covers both sides of the ice. Last, he is physical and blocks a lot of shots, one this year that was for sure a goal and two very dangerous ones last night. There are elite d men in the league that only block a shot if they can’t get out of the way quick enough. Sorry but if you aren’t willing to block as many shots as you can you are not a top defender IMO. Its always been a part of playing defense.

There is so much sublety to the defensive game and I’ve given up trying to convince posters around here as to why his so impressive. Some people are so confused about the d zone that they mistake his being in position for lack of speed. I mean if you aren’t chasing, sliding all over are you really playing good defense? There is one guy in the league thats considered a top defender that is consistently out of position, lets his coverage get behind him a LOT. He has a good stick though and can recover but makes a ton of mistakes that aren’t always glaringly obvious like a give away or getting blown around.

Someone needs to create an app that would allow a fan to break down film easily, would be fun to use examples to demonstrate.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A 26 year old winger who is on pace for his second straight 30 goal season alongside what many term a 3rd line center, while playing tough minutes defensively, is top end. With wingers, I don't care so much about points; furthermore, in this case, Gallagher is not going to get a lot of assists on Danault goals, LOL.

No it's not. He's just great at what he does. Not high end. He's not with the Tavares of the world. That's high end. If Domi keeps this up, he will be high end. If Drouin keeps it up, he'll be high end as well. Gallagher is not high end. He's a great solier to have, excellent at his role. That's it. Not high end.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Do you also concede that he is the best “Defender” in the world?
This was discussed during the trade. It's similar to cup half full or half empty...or that stupid dress..some people just see defense differently.
Some people look at defense as our management did with Douglas Murray, it's doesn't matter how bad he is at moving the puck away from our end, when opponents are in our zone, he makes them pay, he clears the net, decks them, blocks a ton of shots, etc.
Others look at defense as the ability to keep the puck as far as possible as our own end, which imo, is a more modern outlook on things.
So is Weber the best in the world at this?? Well...I have no f***ing clue. I'm not gonna pretend to watch every Dman play enough games to know how good or bad some of them are.

Weber has been awesome since he's back. That's more than enough. I don't need to pump his tires anymore than this...not sure why anybody has to honestly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad