Player Discussion Shea Weber Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you may be correct TLTQ. That was alot of time off and I am sure that during that time alot of the wear and tear that I'm sure he would have played through got a solid chance to heal.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

I will be curious to see how Weber fares against a power house team like jets or the buds.... I assume he will do fine but its the other defense men that are the true issue here.

He's not perfect and he will make mistakes from time to time. He's human. But his overall game and reliability is top notch. The key is how our top 4D looks IMO. If we can shore up the top 4D even more, Weber doesn't feel like he has to do more than he should.

I consider this year off a good thing (other than missing him for a year..haha). Look at Markov when he had his Knee surgery. Were talking about smart and skilled D man here. Weber may not have the same vision as Markov but the parts of his game that he is good at, he is very good at and I don't see this disappearing like some are waiting for to happen since we acquired him 3 years ago at age 31.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
giphy.gif

Reactions: ChikN

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I never had any doubts. This year off likely prolonged his career a bit IMO. The only concern I had was any set back in recovery and getting back into game shape. Remember those who said it would take him a while to get into game shape?
Yeah, what about them ?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I forgot how a top pair dman is supposed to look like. He just does many things better than any of the other dmen in the lineup, including holding the offensive blueline, the shot, and creating loose pucks in the defensive zone.

Reactions: dralaf

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Maybe a reset and some time away from the game helped him get a new perspective. If he's as competitive as they say, he must've been fuming watching the rudderless Habs last year.

With most hockey players it's all they know. Being in rehab while you're missing games is pretty boring I bet.

Sixth in Norris voting is meaningless. It amounted to 100 points, the winner of the Norris got 1400 points. Second place got ~1250. The glut of Norris points, as voted by shlubby sports writers, goes to the top2. Sixth got less points than the difference between the winner and runner up.

Weber had a fine year with a lot of goals. He was great in the six playoffs game too. You don't have to make it bigger than it is.

Why is it meaningless? Because you're not first? Why not say anyone besides 1st is meaningless because no one recognizes 2nd place Norris finishes.

What does matter is 1 person named him best, 6 named him 3rd best, 10 4th best and 16 5th best. Doesn't amount to a ton of voting points but it certainly is a positive to be recognized.

I forgot how a top pair dman is supposed to look like. He just does many things better than any of the other dmen in the lineup, including holding the offensive blueline, the shot, and creating loose pucks in the defensive zone.

I'm thinking the same. Day and night compared to everyone else.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Does his shot seem different to anyone?

It still as powerful, but it seems that his wind up is shorter/quicker. Doesn't seem to use those big back scratchers, but the velocity is still there.

We can see that the Habs are starting to use him and its opening some things up. The team was missing that dangerous point shot. And the fans eat it up, they want to see him blast one.

Reactions: Adriatic

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
BS. You have your blinders on again. I have admitted when I am wrong but you either missed it or ignored it. But I don't admit to your twisting logic trying to imply I said something I did not. Your focus is clearly to belittle others.

Back to the point.. You have been wrong with Weber. Were still waiting for this decline propaganda that has been the focus since we acquired him at age 31. Maybe when he turns 37, you will be right and you can finally tell us you were right all along :sarcasm:
He's signed until he's 42. Let's give the gloating a rest. His counterpart reached the Stanley cup finals one year and was a Norris finalist the other. Of course Habs fans are going to be sour on the guy until something changes.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
With most hockey players it's all they know. Being in rehab while you're missing games is pretty boring I bet.

Why is it meaningless? Because you're not first? Why not say anyone besides 1st is meaningless because no one recognizes 2nd place Norris finishes.

What does matter is 1 person named him best, 6 named him 3rd best, 10 4th best and 16 5th best. Doesn't amount to a ton of voting points but it certainly is a positive to be recognized.

I'm thinking the same. Day and night compared to everyone else.
It's meaningless because it's essentially one moron journalist's vote that skews it. His tally is LITERALLY marginal.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He's not perfect and he will make mistakes from time to time. He's human. But his overall game and reliability is top notch. The key is how our top 4D looks IMO. If we can shore up the top 4D even more, Weber doesn't feel like he has to do more than he should.

I consider this year off a good thing (other than missing him for a year..haha). Look at Markov when he had his Knee surgery. Were talking about smart and skilled D man here. Weber may not have the same vision as Markov but the parts of his game that he is good at, he is very good at and I don't see this disappearing like some are waiting for to happen since we acquired him 3 years ago at age 31.

Weber almost miraculously never makes a bad zone exit, or at least very very rarely. He just manages to get it out.

He's signed until he's 42. Let's give the gloating a rest. His counterpart reached the Stanley cup finals one year and was a Norris finalist the other. Of course Habs fans are going to be sour on the guy until something changes.

You might be more alone than you think in turning sour on Weber. The trade should be separate from the player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Nope. He is signed till he is 40, not 42. His contract is designed for him to retire at after his age 37 season where the last 3 years are only $1M in salary. Zetterberg and Hossa didn't play those $1M contract years, Weber will probably not as well. Insisting that he will and also that he will be a burden is going against the norm on circumventing contracts.

$7.8M cap hit from Weber at age 33-36/37 is very good value. This whole rapid decline BS is exactly that... BS! Weber will be fine from today till age 37. If Hainsey can do what he is doing at age 37, So can Weber. Of course we would expect some decline but were talking about minuscule amounts here. Weber's game is not build on speed and never was. And he is not getting dramitically weaker from age 33-37.

Reactions: Bobby G and dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It seems that the demise of Weber was greatly exaggerated.

We have been waiting for the apparent decline for 3 years now. Yeah, it was a stupid trade (RD for a RD with a 4 year age gap) but I think some jumped on Weber's back a bit too much. In truth, both the supporters and non supporters got trapped in the line in the sand type war in debating.

Weber is in my top 15 D man in the NHL. 10-15 range for sure.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sixth in Norris voting is meaningless. It amounted to 100 points, the winner of the Norris got 1400 points. Second place got ~1250. The glut of Norris points, as voted by shlubby sports writers, goes to the top2. Sixth got less points than the difference between the winner and runner up.

Weber had a fine year with a lot of goals. He was great in the six playoffs game too. You don't have to make it bigger than it is.
Just meant he was not going through the motions in 2016-17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad