shea weber or cam barker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I take Weber. He's more hardcore d. "In theory" Barker might get a few more points, but even after this WJC, I still find Barker to be a bit soft around the edges, not quite fully engaged at times.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Shea Weber will be awesome. So will Barker, but I'd choose Weber.

He was ranked 4th on this year's THN Future Watch.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
I would take Weber because I think he is more of a Pronger type of player and I see Barker as more of a Neidermayer player, I don't think either will develop into the players I am comparing them too but I prefer the Pronger style over Neids, thus my prefernce lies with Weber.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I may be in minority but I'd talke Barkler FOR SURE.

P.S. You should make a poll for this comparison if you haven't already.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
We in Chicago are happy with Barker. Watching Barker is like watching Doug Wilson, and that ain't bad.
I'm sure Weber will be good too.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
weber for sure ! in medicine hat barker is not a fan favorite ! barker is lazy. weber will shut you down, beat you up, and can play the pp. after watching them as a pair in the 05 wjc i would be inclined to put weber right next to phaneuf. to think calgary could have got him with pick 39 but they took ramholt (bust) instead. the flames would have the top d unit in the league for the next 15 years. weber can do everything barker can and more, plus he plays physical

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Weber HANDS DOWN.

I'm a Tiger fan and he gives people here ulcers. When he shoots he CAN'T hit the net. He doesn't hustle and is soft along the boards.

Yeah he's not exactly my favorite player.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I think it depends on what you are looking for. Barker is going to be more offensive, but won't provide that shut down element that Weber has the potential for. I think Weber has untapped potential on offense. He's got a hard shot from the point and makes good outlet passes. He's gotta work on his stickhandling though. For the Preds, there is little question they would take Weber over Barker. We need Weber's strength. He has very strong arms and can move people out of the way even when he can't get a good base under him. He's just a strong, no nonsense hockey player that'll shorten the season for a player or two in his career. He dropped Datsyuk in his first or second game up and stood Lang up as well. Definitely has stuff he needs to work on and needs more seasoning, but he should be a force.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I prefer Weber. Barker has underwhelmed me when I watch him because he reminds me of poor man's Brewer in some respects. Tools are all there, but he doesn't take them and utilize them.

On the other hand, Weber takes a decent tool box and uses everything at his disposal and does everything very well.

As a comparison. The nastiness of Jason Smith, smart defensively, with far better offensive instincts.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Just because he (Barker) doesn't put guys THRU the boards doesn't mean he doesn't take them off the play. Why do so many think being positionally sound is a bad thing? As I mentioned before, I watched Doug Wilson's entire career, and never saw him hurt anyone. He was still a great D-man. He, like Barker had no wasted motion. And he won a Norris.

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
Wow, tough call. Depends on what you really want on your d. They both are potential top pairing dmen. But for me it would be Barker then Weber right after if I had back-to-back picks.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
GaryU said:
Just because he (Barker) doesn't put guys THRU the boards doesn't mean he doesn't take them off the play. Why do so many think being positionally sound is a bad thing? As I mentioned before, I watched Doug Wilson's entire career, and never saw him hurt anyone. He was still a great D-man. He, like Barker had no wasted motion. And he won a Norris.

Well when I mean soft along the boards I don't mean he doesn't slam people into the boards, I mean he lets people walk right through him and get a clean shot on Keetley from the slot.

Stars-Preds

Jul 25, 2005
I think both will be very good NHL defensemen. Barker will probably score a few more points, but I would argue Weber will be the more valuable defenseman. He's a big, positionally strong, physical defenseman. He has an underrated slapshot that generally stays low and hard. I expect him to be a regular in the Preds lineup by next season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
weber and its not even close. although he did get completely owned by sidney crosby at the mem cup.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Who?

I think Barker is the beter player... But I'd still take weber due to the style

I love to watch him hit... and pretty awesome package too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad