Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You pick the best players right? Who here was better than him? Abdelkader, Backes, Dubinsky, Palmieri, JVR, Pacioretty, Kane, Pavelski, Parise, Kesler, Wheeler, and Stepan? Why are you even talking about his tenure in Toronto, he was incredible for the Pens in his first year and was dominant in the playoffs.
Obviously not dominant enough, he didn't make the f***in team man, lots of good players are left off teams, was his turn,

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I obviou

Why didn't they pick him then, why was he blackballed if he's so great??

I'm interested in fact, not an opinion
You tell me! I have no clue what they were thinking, brutal decision. You literally admitted he has played much better as a Penguin and how you pick the best players. Kessel is most definitely one of the best players on that list no?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Obviously not dominant enough, he didn't make the ****in team man, lots of good players are left off teams, was his turn,
Lots of garbage players like Abdelkader also make the team. And he had a brutal season. Kessel had the most points on the stanley cup winning team, I'd say that is pretty dominant.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You tell me! I have no clue what they were thinking, brutal decision. You literally admitted he has played much better as a Penguin and how you pick the best players. Kessel is most definitely one of the best players on that list no?
I think so, I also think Weber is a better fit for team Canada then Subban is........what matters is what team USA thinks and they think otherwise.....it's a hockey team, not a skills competition

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lots of garbage players like Abdelkader also make the team. And he had a brutal season. Kessel had the most points on the stanley cup winning team, I'd say that is pretty dominant.
I think you need to bring this up with team USA, there you will find your answers, not here at HF

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think so, I also think Weber is a better fit for team Canada then Subban is........what matters is what team USA thinks and they think otherwise.....it's a hockey team, not a skills competition
You need skill to win and Kessel was most definitely better than most of those skilled guys that were picked. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
I think you need to bring this up with team USA, there you will find your answers, not here at HF
Don't need, brutal decisions killed them.
Abdelkader is garbage now......ok, I'm out
Compared to Kessel? Absolutely. I get that you like Bergevin hockey that is filled with talentless 3rd liners, but I'll take the superstar that you were praising before you knew he was a Penguin before the world cup.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Funny how the guys that ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE NHL and have played for team canada all view him this way......but a select few on HF BOARDS think otherwise because you know, they know more about the guy and what he actually brings having spent ZERO time with him on the ice, in the dressing room, at dinner, at social gatherings, at the olympics then the guys who did

........some of you here remind me of Gandolfini were he was actually starting to think he was an actual Mafioso because he portrayed one on the Sopranos
I was about to respond, but I changed my mind... you don't know him personally so you're not qualified to talk about him.

Reactions: Price is Wright

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I was unaware.....then they must have their reasons, I don't think they'd purposely leave a player behind over I guy who they think is worse.
since you're, as always, in a 'Im gonna teach you a thing or two" mode, might want to get your facts straight.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

Being a better fit for team canada doesnt make you a better fit for an NHL team. Dont even know why you are bringing this up in that discussion. The fourth line of team canada produce more offense than pretty much any first line in the NHL. Therefore you dont need a defenseman that generate offense, just a big guy that stay behind and make a quick short pass to the offensive player. In todays NHL a Subban type of player is much more valuable than a player like Weber. Bringing international team in the discussion show your poor knowledge of todays NHL.

Reactions: Miller Time

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Talent is just as important as that leadership......you really can't win one without the other.

What team in the NHL has won a cup on pure talent alone??

Why has Washington faultered year in, year out?
Why has Russia fallen short so many times even though their talent pool is supreme?? Geez, some tournaments they finish 7th and they have the most talent of all!!
Euh no. Talent is incomparably more important.
Every team has leadership. It's bullshit. The Pens did not beat the Preds because they have more leadership. Detroit, Chicago, LA did not own their opponents because their leaders were better at getting up and saying cliche inspiring words.
Stop watching disney movies.

Washington has faultered because....It is f***ing difficult to make it to the Finals.
Russia has fallen short because their opponents are better or had a better game plan. It's really that simple.
Canada was eliminated too, with the likes of Gretzky, Sakic, etc on it, oh oh...I guess they took a leadership break that year. No disney movie out including a sexy speech that year perhaps..
One year Yzerman is a questionable leader in Detroit. Just doesn't have it. Oops. That changes the following year. Alfredsson, terrible leader in Ottawa, just can't lead them where they have to be, until he does. I guess they drank some leadership fruit juice before the season and it turned them into better leaders...

Ya, sure, it is important to have experienced, mature and passionate players on the team. Every team in the NHL has that.
The difference between us being at the bottom and TB at the top, is not f***ing leadership. Come on man. Don't be silly.
Talent has always been and will always be, by far, the driving force of winning. After talent, there is luck. After luck, there is strategy. After that...maybe you can start talking about leadership.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber went from having "top" centres in Nashville such as Mike Fisher, Mike Ribeiro and David Legwand.. to coming here and having guys like Danault, Plekanec and a bunch of wingers playing centre. Unsurprisingly, Nashville didn't go anywhere while he was there and Montreal ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Nashville has greatly improved their team by adding Johansen, Turris and Bonino to their centre group, while we've added nothing.

Weber/Subban are both top 10 D in this league, both are excellent and have different strengths, but one D can't carry a whole team. It wasn't Subban's fault we had off years in the past while he was here and it is not Weber's fault we haven't done anything since he's been here. Weber is the least of my concerns, if you swap Weber for Subban right now we'd still be out of the playoffs and Nashville would still be one of the top teams in the whole league.

Weber has done his job here when healthy, unfortunately Bergevin and management continue to fail to do theirs.
I like Weber too, don't want to trade him as he is good developing young d-men ie. Mete. Pretty well know our top pick will be a defenseman, so like to have Weber take him under his wing. At least for a year, can trade Weber a year from now and get roughly same return.

But if a team like Toronto wants to blow us out of the water with an offer...have to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->