Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Hard to say. I really like both players for what they bring.
Subban brought excitement and he was really strong along the boards. He wants it more, wants to be that go to guy. Shows up in big games. Sometimes he tries to make things happen and leads to turnover because our team cannot produce offensively. Its just a guy who desire to win.

Weber is superior defensive zone. He's a champ and I would want him in closing minutes. His shot is unstoppable and deadly. He's an elite player. He's classy player.

Bottom line if same age, I would lead toward Weber. But he's older so kinda evens out.

Kinda reminds me of Al McInnis for Phil Housley trade. Two different kind of defensemen.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm not losing m time with this anymore. A reputation in this league takes at least 3 years to be defeated. In his prime he used to be a force. Not as great as his reputation but still very good. But he's not there anymore. He's not good enough anymore to build a team around him. Ideally he should be a number 1A or 1B but not a clear number 1.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm not losing m time with this anymore. A reputation in this league takes at least 3 years to be defeated. In his prime he used to be a force. Not as great as his reputation but still very good. But he's not there anymore. He's not good enough anymore to build a team around him. Ideally he should be a number 1A or 1B but not a clear number 1.
He's still good, and I don't see a sharp decline like some predicted. I think he'll be a very useful guy for us for the next 5-7 years. He'll never be the guy to build around, but I don't see why he couldn't play top pairing well into his late 30's like Markov did.

Reactions: Mrb1p and HabsDood

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Where was Weber in the playoffs last year when it counted?
Where is Weber now with a 1-5 record? Where is the passion, the intensity, the character, the veteran leadership?
Nha, doesn't work that way, make him captn and let's argue.. For the moment, he's Weber, I respect that. Refer to that other post I posted.. Does not mean i'm right though mate.. My opinion.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
[mod]

He'll be useful, just not as useful as the guy he was traded for. Forget 5 years, I don't think he's as useful right now. I'd still take him on my team any day of the week just not as the centerpiece of my Dcore. If the Habs are headed for a rebuild, I think he's perfect but I don't believe he should be the guy you build around if you're trying to compete. That's why he's paired with Mete and Petry/Alzner are the shut down pair despite him having the reputation as one of the best shutdown players in the league. He's a mentor and a leader, he shouldn't be a #1 D. Montreal just happened to trade a #1 D to get him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Bit worrying that Weber hasn't been on the ice for a Habs 5on5 goal so far this season, no?

Even before the trade with Markov still a Hab the team was overly reliant on Subban to drive the even-strength offense. With those two gone Petry seems to be the only guy defenceman who can do it at evens.

Reactions: E82

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Is it me or does he take more risks this year? Same thing with Benn. I see them pinch when it's not necessarily the right time (mostly Benn, but Weber too) and they don't have the speed to come back in time. Mete has been great at covering up for Weber though. Not sure if it's Julien who asks every D to be more aggressive, or if they're just trying to do too much since the Habs can't score.

Anyways, Weber doesn't deserve much criticism, the blame should go to MB.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Where is Weber now with a 1-5 record? Where is the passion, the intensity, the character, the veteran leadership?

Ask Price and Pacioretty the same question.

Weber has 3pts last playoff, he can’t win on his own

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Is it me or does he take more risks this year? Same thing with Benn. I see them pinch when it's not necessarily the right time (mostly Benn, but Weber too) and they don't have the speed to come back in time. Mete has been great at covering up for Weber though. Not sure if it's Julien who asks every D to be more aggressive, or if they're just trying to do too much since the Habs can't score.

Anyways, Weber doesn't deserve much criticism, the blame should go to MB.

Because the team is starved for offense, and players will try to do more for it.

Why do you think Subban was "taking so much risk" the last year he played here? Absolutely nothing happened offensively if he didn't. He was on the ice for something like 65% of the goals we scored. And "oh, he calmed down and plays safer and understood things" in Nashville... or the team can actually manage some offense without him taking risks all the time?

He was blamed for taking risks, when the rest of the team didn't. They played it safe, and generated absolutely nothing, and we sunk in the rankings. But hey, let's not have someone actually trying to shake things up cause it was going so well following the plan.

And now Weber is in the same situation, and he has to take risks too. But at least he has Mete (damn are we lucky, imagine if we DIDN'T have him graduating as a 19 y.o. on top) to cover.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Weber would have been the right choice back in the height of the DPE

He was the wrong choice and a signal to everybody that the Habs were living in the past.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He's been our best defenseman this season.

Do you want him to get out of position to hit people? Drop the gloves to fight for no reason? I'm not sure what you're asking of him but it seems unrealistic to say the least.

Reactions: Mrb1p and cphabs

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
A reminder that this is NOT the place to talk about PK Subban, or any other players other than Shea Weber. Use the out of town thread / former players thread for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad