Confirmed with Link: Shea Weber is the new captain of the Montreal Canadiens

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Start a pool on the date MB throws the new captain under the bus? $10 a square.

April 10th 2019, at the presser once the season ends

I believe the media will probably question about Weber's leadership before that though

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This obsession is what made me completely leave RDS.

What happened to their ratings last season is just sublime and delictable karma.

I almost came in my pants when I read the article saying both TVA and RDS loss a lot of profit because of the Hab woes.

All of the francophone sports media and several reporters across the franco media, are uber-obsessed with the language question. Every non-franchophone captain of the team was confronted with questions about it. Weber is no exception. If you're going to boycott RDS, you might as well boycott all francophone media -- they all have the same modus operandi. It's not just some of them, it's all of them. And that's the way it is, no matter how many posts in here refute it or complain about it.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
It shouldn't be but it is. Look at how RDS made sure to include in a piece, how he said a few words in French:

Contrairement à ce qu’il a vécu à Nashville en tant que capitaine, Weber sera énormément sollicité par les médias. Il se dit prêt à vaquer à de telles occupations et il a pris le temps de prononcer quelques mots en français.
We had another D a few years back who gave a pile of money to the hospital and gave half his announcement speech in French with Mme. Beliveau in the front row. In that case, the local media bypassed the Saku Koivu 'thou shalt speak the language in public' edict and trashed the player anyway.

The bigger problem with the local media is they are too invested in their chums Therrible and Bergevin and side with them come hell or high water. Our M. Montagne will probably never grumble more than a bon-joor but that'll be OK since he's Bergevin's signature acquisition.

Good call to make Weber captain, he is a highly regarded vet, plus the league hates poor Gallagher so he'd be in tough as the C here. Hopefully the captaincy restores Weber's aura to maximum strength so as to maximize his trade value in a couple of years.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
If it wasn’t Gallagher or Weber or if they decided not to name one, they couldn’t have gone wrong here . Let’s just hope to have him back healthy regardless on how long it takes

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I'm happy regardless who was named captain as long as if patches wasn't the captain anymore. I like when he said "I'll try my best to help other team mates even if I'm not one the ice" a good leadership

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
April 10th 2019, at the presser once the season ends

If I was Weber, I would have thought long and hard about accepting the captaincy. Especially after watching what was done to the last player "honored" with the "C".

Not to mention the absurdity of making an injured player the Captain.

Reactions: ArtPeur and PaulD

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It’s more respectable to have Weber as captain than Gallagher. This was the right choice.

They should’ve stripped Pacioretty’s C and have given it to Weber much sooner.
Would pacioretty have held as much trade value if the acquiring team knew they weren't getting veteran leadership tho?

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
All of the francophone sports media and several reporters across the franco media, are uber-obsessed with the language question. Every non-franchophone captain of the team was confronted with questions about it. Weber is no exception. If you're going to boycott RDS, you might as well boycott all francophone media -- they all have the same modus operandi. It's not just some of them, it's all of them. And that's the way it is, no matter how many posts in here refute it or complain about it.

While i agree there were moments of nonsense in our media history, Weber opened his statement in french and I don't think it was an offensive question to just follow up and ask the guy if he is or if he would like to speak more in french.

Look around in sports in general, especially soccer, coaches have often a couple of months to learn new languages... And they do. Its not an intrusive question for someone that plans to stay here for a few years

Reactions: admiralcadillac

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Heplayed well. Score 17
And Weber was in the room. If he is so great then why didn't he do something about it.
He played well. Scored 17 goals his first season. Plus 20.

When was the last time a Montreal D accomplished that or better ?

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If I was Weber, I would have thought long and hard about accepting the captaincy. Especially after watching what was done to the last player "honored" with the "C".

Man Mountain stars as Lightning Rod in the new Molson & MB Muppet Production

Only reason to name an injured player captain is to direct the media attention to someone else

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Predictable nomination. There was no point in waiting, next year it would've been the same choice him or Gallagher... So, happy it's done and we can move forward.

Extremely happy for Lord Byron, what a story, from waiver pickup to assistant captain of the most prestigious NHL franchise in history! :clap:

MC94

May 13, 2018

I really dont see a problem with him being injured and getting the letter if he is the one bound for captaincy and you are 100% certain of this then why not just announce it

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
And Weber was in the room. If he is so great then why didn't he do something about it.

I never said anything about Weber being a great captain.

It's like your boss at work...it's a hierarchy that you have to 'respect' even if you disagree with the direction. The captain is a link between the coach and the players...holds players accountable for their performance. Patch had a tough year last year and he felt like he couldn't get in people's faces because his own performance was lacking...that's the danger in picking a captain who is a streaky goalscoring winger.

Weber isn't a bad choice, but any hopes of a rebuild just went out the window.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
And people like you never give PK the credit he's due because he's no longer a member of the Habs or out of some strange devotion or loyalty to Bergevin. Whether YOU like it or not PK is a leader and should have never been traded in the first place. It's obvious you didn't watch any of those games because if you did you would have seen what a difference maker he was vs Chicago, St Louis and Anaheim.

Neither of them really deserve much credit seeing as neither has lead their team towards anything in the nhl, both playing for comparably bad teams up until the last few variations of the predators.

I'd take a prime weber over subban, problem is that's not what we got.

You guys certainly make every effort to point out these things every time. On the while seems minor.

It's so innocuous in fact that it surprises how much you guys loathe it.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I really dont see a problem with him being injured and getting the letter if he is the one bound for captaincy and you are 100% certain of this then why not just announce it

It's just a bit weird. You make someone a captain - especially in a market like Montreal - and you figure the media will be all over him, asking him about the team, results, etc. Media is a huge component of being captain in a city like Montreal - and the fact that he's out 6 months is odd.

I'm still fine with the choice. He was by far the best choice.

I still absolutely hate that we traded Subban away but i've never held it against Weber. Very solid player and i think he's a great choice for captain.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We all know now Patioready was not voted by the players right?

Player vote of captain is what broke the team apart imo. It should never have happened. Maybe in a year like now where Weber likely gets unanimous support, having an unofficial player vote could be ok. But back then if there was cliques and you'd know more than 1 guy (notably 2 - Pacioretty vs Subban) would be up for it - having the vote is what caused all the drama that followed imo.

Never should have happened.

Toronto could be in a similar situation. Having a player vote for captain (ie to pick Tavares vs Matthews) would be a horrible decision and could be divisive in the room.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Why would you say that?

Because Weber was Management's choice from the start.
His reaction to some questions on Tout le monde en parle.

They're also adding value to the Weber Trade by giving Weber the C.

Bottom line this weber-subban trade will haunt for many more years to come.

I personally dont think Weber wants to be here let alone be the captain.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
While i agree there were moments of nonsense in our media history, Weber opened his statement in french and I don't think it was an offensive question to just follow up and ask the guy if he is or if he would like to speak more in french.

Look around in sports in general, especially soccer, coaches have often a couple of months to learn new languages... And they do. Its not an intrusive question for someone that plans to stay here for a few years

Pretty sure Weber didnt "plan" on being here. He's stuck here.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad