Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The best/worst quote he's ever said was this: "
On trying to acquire a big centre through a trade: “Do you want me to trade Carey Price? That’s what it costs to get a big centre.”
When asked about whether he could try to find a true No. 1 centre: “My reality, it might not be the same as the PlayStation that I play at night. I made a trade last night (on PlayStation), called the GM this morning and he hung up on me. So, to get that top centre, I’d love to get him, but I don’t see that happening. I think the last one was probably Joe Thornton (in 2005). Ryan Kessler had a limited trade clause, he got to choose where he went. … The reality is a lot of teams are looking for the same thing and often it’s just not available. We’ll look at the possibilities to improve our team at centre, if those players become available. But I don’t see any that are available.”

Full of excuses of why he won't do things, even before they happen. It's truly laughable.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'd say the same as most posters, he's been good as advertised but within seconds the trade was announcend, we knew (well, most of us) that we lost the deal.

Still can't believe MB was stupid enough to do it.

I'm not surprised. Weber has always been look at with great reverence in the league. Even as his ability slipped after 2012, from a Top 5 D to a first pair but not elite, he was still looked at as unflappable and a game changer.

I expected the Predators to eventually trade him for a big package for their future, or rather I felt that was the right move. I never in a million years thought they would get Subban for him.

For Weber's sake I was hoping he would get moved to a team like Washington or LA, where they already have a #1RD so Weber could focus on being the #2 and help a young LD focus on scoring. Instead he went to Montreal where he didn't just have to replace Subban but Markov as well. This was the wrong team for him to be moved to and it shows. His perceived intangibles are useless and his weaknesses are more visible.

I think it makes so much sense to make Anaheim, San Jose, Vegas, and others compete for him this summer with the best offer. He would be much happier out that way as well. You move Weber out, begin the rebuild, and erase this era from memory. It ain't Shea's fault. Might as well get him out.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The difference is small in that particular situation though. In my opinion at least.

To say it's small is to say they bring the exact same game with a little modification. They don't. They play very different styles and bring different elements to the team. The only place where they have some similarity is their powerplay shot which Weber has a better slapper and Subban is a superior passer.

It's an entirely different game played from the blueline out depending on if Weber or Subban is on the ice. To say it's a small difference is like saying there's a small difference on if Jeff Petry or Aaron Ekblad is out there because they had a three point difference this season.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
To say it's small is to say they bring the exact same game with a little modification. They don't. They play very different styles and bring different elements to the team. The only place where they have some similarity is their powerplay shot which Weber has a better slapper and Subban is a superior passer.

It's an entirely different game played from the blueline out depending on if Weber or Subban is on the ice. To say it's a small difference is like saying there's a small difference on if Jeff Petry or Aaron Ekblad is out there because they had a three point difference this season.
The difference between Weber and Subban is not that, IMO. Especially when you start bringing other top flight players like Radulov into the equation.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Habs re-invented:

Scherbak - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - DLR - Hudon
Deslauriers - A.Shaw - Byron
Carr

Sergachev - Subban
Markov - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Jerabek

Price
Niemi
Lindgren

Sign me up, we'd be one top 6C and 1 top 4D from being a top team. This lineup would easily make the playoffs.

Reactions: Bobby G

Jul 6, 2016
Habs re-invented:

Lekhonen - DLR - Hudon
Carr

Sergachev - Subban
Markov - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Jerabek

Price
Niemi
Lindgren

Sign me up, we'd be one top 6C and 1 top 4D from being a top team. This lineup would easily make the playoffs.

So easy to turn back the clock....

No way Scherbak is a first line player
DLR is a very weak solution on a top three line
Byron scoring 20 goals a year is on your 4th... ????
Sergachev played 15 minutes per game on a very good offensive team in TB .... Not the case in MTL.
Mete is not NHL material yet.
Markov would have retire at the end of this season. KHL is barely AHL caliber overall.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So easy to turn back the clock....

No way Scherbak is a first line player
DLR is a very weak solution on a top three line
Byron scoring 20 goals a year is on your 4th... ????
Sergachev played 15 minutes per game on a very good offensive team in TB .... Not the case in MTL.
Mete is not NHL material yet.
Markov would have retire at the end of this season. KHL is barely AHL caliber overall.

Your loyalty knows no bounds , it appears Bergevin acquired his dog.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Grant Mccagg = bergevin is a genius!

When the argument is a copy/paste of our GM's excuses I know I'm not discussing this in good faith.

I like to play a game and it's called "count how many times Bergevin says it's a good question when he is asked something that destroys him and for which has no answer".

I'm at 9 times for the year end presser, anybody else wants to play?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Laurentide

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Habs re-invented:

Lekhonen - DLR - Hudon
Carr

Sergachev - Subban
Markov - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Jerabek

Price
Niemi
Lindgren

Not really impressed with that line up. To me, it's same players but Sergachev instead of Drouin and Subban instead of Weber.

It completely ignores all the problems we had prior, where even Plekanec as a two-way 60+ point center couldn't solve.

A top 6 C wouldn't be the solution. In order to win Galchenyuk would have to be the #2. We'd still need a #1, the D core lacks a little toughness too.

At same time, I know where you're coming from. The habs have had some solid pieces for years. Status quo has burned us badly.

Reactions: Bobby G and 417

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Not really impressed with that line up. To me, it's same players but Sergachev instead of Drouin and Subban instead of Weber.

It completely ignores all the problems we had prior, where even Plekanec as a two-way 60+ point center couldn't solve.

A top 6 C wouldn't be the solution. In order to win Galchenyuk would have to be the #2. We'd still need a #1, the D core lacks a little toughness too.

At same time, I know where you're coming from. The habs have had some solid pieces for years. Status quo has burned us badly.

Literally who cares about toughness. It's 2018. The Kings, for all their toughness, just got swept by a team made up of every underutilized skill player from around the league. The lesson is clear: if a player doesn't do anything but hit and fight, they're stealing a spot from a talented skill player. Tough players are useless players, unless they bring goals or can skate with the puck. Alzner, Benn, Schlemko, etc, these guys should struggle to find contracts, not be actively acquired. The defense doesn't need them, or players like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad