Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Reactions: Deebs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Weber has been very good upon his return. Who knows, the year off with injuries could help in the long run ( it did for Markov ) and he seems very comfortable with the C and the role.........even seems to be talking more to the media.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To be fair though, regardless of the quality of the competition the fact he has been dominant after being out a year is impressive and shouldn't be dismissed easily because of who it was against.

The only thing I'll be impressed with is if he's highly effective against the good teams, when he's back in the flow. You're right, he won't be fully back right away. But how he is when he is fully back against the better teams is what will really define his value.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The only thing I'll be impressed with is if he's highly effective against the good teams, when he's back in the flow. You're right, he won't be fully back right away. But how he is when he is fully back against the better teams is what will really define his value.

You know, you don't even need to wait to see Weber vs top competition.

Quite frankly every team has some good players and he faces them anyway. If Toronto has Matthews and Tavares and not both Weber would still likely match up against 1 of the 2 at ES anyway so comparing vs deep talented teams is at times irrelevant on an individual basis.

Besides, it's not like our players emerged as superstars playing weak competition. Weber looks better than every other D we have in the same game vs the same team. He's just miles ahead and it's a major improvement. He's bound to make mistakes eventually but everyone does...especially vs top competition. Ovechkin scores all the time, some players are just unstoppable. You can limit them but can't stop them.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Lol, Lidstrom is the mythical king. He earned the nickname the perfect human. He was elevated so far above his actual play level that people believe he was the best player on the Redwings, even though its factually untrue, from Fedorov, Yzerman, to Zetterbergs career year and to Datsyuk, he was never the best. Yet, people still claim he is and have him ranked as the best defender ever. Bad comparison. Another one that benefitted from that was Doughty.

Nieds also.
My oh my. Fedorov and Yzerman I are debatable but Zetterberg better than Lidstrom?! For real?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Don't forget that his playing vs team beat line with a #6 defensman that was playing AHL a month ago ..
His best partner since becoming a hab? 20 or so games of Markov, followed by Emelin, then a mix of ahl players. And posters wait in the weeds till he has a bad game against a great team.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
His best partner since becoming a hab? 20 or so games of Markov, followed by Emelin, then a mix of ahl players. And posters wait in the weeds till he has a bad game against a great team.
the guy's a god, the best "defender" in the league, so being very good is not enough, carrying his LD partner is expected.

Anything less is a disappointment, it comes with his godlike status.

the impressive part though, is every single one of his ass kissing fans disappear when he has a great defensive game like yesterday, no comments!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
the guy's a god, the best "defender" in the league, so being very good is not enough, carrying his LD partner is expected.

the impressive part though, is every single one of his ass kissing fans disappear when he has a great defensive game like yesterday, no comments!

Every other great defenseman had a good partner

Subban: Eklhom
Keith: Seabrook
Doughty: Muzzin
Hedman: Stralman
Jones: Murray
Karlsson: Methot was really good with him
Slavin: Pesce/Faulk
Suter: Dumba/Spurgeon

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

It's the karma, he always played with great players (Suter and Josi) before being a Habs. :sarcasm:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

he'S not just great, he's the very best defender in the league... he's above all the names in that list...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Jeeze, relax pal. You are taking this way too personally. He’s playing with an AHL partner and will get beat. On the first goal Kulak was not supposed to switch - he was like 5 feet from challenging, any competent dman understanding its a 1 on 2 would have closed distance not switched sides.

But who cares, he got caught flat footed and beat. The real question is why 3 years after the trade do you get so excited about one of OUR guys getting beat. You are a Habs fan right and realize that some of us actually pull for the current team and its players?

The fact that a bunch of you showed up to celebrate a bad game by a Habs player tells me two things - it doesn’t happen often, you guys have been waiting a long time for him to lay an egg. Two, you are clearly chearing for one of our guys to fail.

Thats your perogotive but it looks pretty silly.

Anyways, so far the count is 6 points in 8 games, plus 5, playing 25 mins a game with an AHL plug. Not a bad return, obviously not what you were looking for but some of us are pretty happy with that.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
he'S not just great, he's the very best defender in the league... he's above all the names in that list...

I wouldn’t claim that but what if he is? Is you understanding of the game so base that you think that the best defender in the league never gets beat? Would you also expect the best goalie to never let in a soft one, the best goal scorer to score on every breakaway?

Seriously what it your angle? That some Habs fans think a Habs player is pretty awesome and now that he got beat we are all a bunch of fools? You have 25k post, can I suggest an investment in actually watching hockey and less raving on a hockey message board? You have a very bizarre understanding of the game.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I wouldn’t claim that but what if he is? Is you understanding of the game so base that you think that the best defender in the league never gets beat? Would you also expect the best goalie to never let in a soft one, the best goal scorer to score on every breakaway?

Seriously what it your angle? That some Habs fans think a Habs player is pretty awesome and now that he got beat we are all a bunch of fools? You have 25k post, can I suggest an investment in actually watching hockey and less raving on a hockey message board? You have a very bizarre understanding of the game.
then comparing him to lesser (although good) D is pointless.

not awesome, the very best, a notch above every single other D in the league.

sure, and may I suggest you don't act as if you knew better like you're doing right now ? forgot you're just a regular joe cause you're a fan of Weber I guess...

and you have a very bizarre understanding of the posts you quote.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
then comparing him to lesser (although good) D is pointless.

not awesome, the very best, a notch above every single other D in the league.

sure, and may I suggest you don't act as if you knew better like you're doing right now ? forgot you're just a regular joe cause you're a fan of Weber I guess...

and you have a very bizarre understanding of the posts you quote.

I’m not following what your point is, but I do get that you really dislike Weber.

He can be the best defender and still be playing with a shitty partner. He can be better then most guys in that list and still have the worst partner in that list. He can be one of the best defensemen in the game and still get walked.

You are one of the posters that is still so worked up about the trade that you see guys enjoying the player we got and somehow think people are calling him a god, or in love with his aura, or whatever. These are memes that YOU guys are perpetuating. The irony is you guys are projecting - the real over the top fan boy bs is for the guy that went the other way. I mean you are so butthurt three years later that you get excited when Weber gets beat. THAT is fanatasicm, there is very little of that type of over the top love for Weber on these boards. Even the mention of him playing with a shitty partner sends you into a rant.

Anyways seen enough of your spazz posts on these boards, no point going back and forth.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I’m not following what your point is, but I do get that you really dislike Weber.

He can be the best defender and still be playing with a ****ty partner. He can be better then most guys in that list and still have the worst partner in that list. He can be one of the best defensemen in the game and still get walked.

You are one of the posters that is still so worked up about the trade that you see guys enjoying the player we got and somehow think people are calling him a god, or in love with his aura, or whatever. These are memes that YOU guys are perpetuating. The irony is you guys are projecting - the real over the top fan boy bs is for the guy that went the other way. I mean you are so ******** three years later that you get excited when Weber gets beat. THAT is fanatasicm, there is very little of that type of over the top love for Weber on these boards. Even the mention of him playing with a ****ty partner sends you into a rant.

Anyways seen enough of your spazz posts on these boards, no point going back and forth.

It's not often that you see someone being wrong on so many things in a single post.

Looks like just suggesting that Weber may not be perfect has a very strong effect on you. It's a good thing he was traded for (not signed as UFA for example) it gives you the perfect deflection. People who may not agree that he's a god are automatically fans of the guy he was traded for. There's one possibility only and that's the one.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You know, you don't even need to wait to see Weber vs top competition.

Quite frankly every team has some good players and he faces them anyway. If Toronto has Matthews and Tavares and not both Weber would still likely match up against 1 of the 2 at ES anyway so comparing vs deep talented teams is at times irrelevant on an individual basis.

Besides, it's not like our players emerged as superstars playing weak competition. Weber looks better than every other D we have in the same game vs the same team. He's just miles ahead and it's a major improvement. He's bound to make mistakes eventually but everyone does...especially vs top competition. Ovechkin scores all the time, some players are just unstoppable. You can limit them but can't stop them.

Yes, we saw Svechnikov go around him like a pylon yesterday for a goal.

I like Weber. I just want to see how he handles the speed of the new NHL over a longer sample size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->