Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Jordan Staal beat him with his speed and a power move. Pricer had other plans

You can't say that, he's great defensively.
1547389909-tete-sable-autruche-image-csp36624874.jpg

Reactions: swimmer77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber is definitely playing injured. Not the same mobility as last fall. Major drop in ice time starting Feb 25th. Lately playing 22 to 23 minutes a games. With a low of 20 minutes on March 19th. Back in the fall he routinely played 25 to 26 minutes a night. Reaching a high on 29:19 on Dec 9th.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's the thing the preds did not write this contract the Flyers did. Preds only options was to equal the offer or lose the player.

True but this don't change the fact that the Preds benefited from a Cap Hit vs Actual Money difference of $24M while he was with the Preds. It does suck for the Preds cause their hand was forced but the cap hit advantage they got was huge. Bettman and the Owners/GM's who didn't bend the rules will not easily give them a break.

Think of it this way.. Lets say the Flyers didn't sign the offers sheet and the Preds negotiated the contract for Weber. He would of been easily a $10M AAV and still would of had lots of money front loaded which would of resulted in a Cap hit/Actual money advantage. Probably not $24M of difference but likely still substantial. For example: Take out the last 3 years at $1M (AAV changes from $7.8 to $10M) and it results in a cap recapture penalty of $16M vs $24.6M for those 4 seasons he played from 12/13 - 15/16.

Maybe the NHL makes an exception on this (has to be voted on by the teams) and they lower the total cap recapture from $24M to $15M ish. This I can see happening. But getting rid of it completely? I think not

Last edited:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Was it before the Buffalo game that the announcers commented that everyone playing against Montreal knows that Weber is fighting an injury?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He's struggling against the rush. And when he's executing foot runs.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's still effective. Yes he's slower then before but he will still beat you up and steal your candy in the corner and he has that wicked shot. Not many D like him around PLUS he is indeed a good leader. Good enough to be captain of Team Canada in the world cup.
I laugh at the argument that leadership means nothing because they haven't won the cup. We don't have the talent to win the cup but his leadership/tutoring younger guys, setting the examples is not measurable . Weber is a great asset and hopefully will not decline too fast.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's hurt and playing at this level....BEAST

31 Thoughts: Will NHL players fight for change to playoff format? - Sportsnet.ca

You can see Montreal trying to ease Shea Weber’s workload wherever possible. In November and December, he led Canadiens’ defenceman in ice-time for all 16 games he played. That was down to seven of 11 in January, nine of 13 in February and six of 12 so far in March. One opponent: “You can see he’s not 100 per cent, but no one’s getting him to sit.”

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I asked the question on the GDT, but I think it's more appropriate to ask it here.

Weber is playing tonight, so is he really that injured ? Because if it was the case, he would not play against the Leafs, like Byron and Price.

So why he's looking that bad defensively and he's often behind the play ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad