Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe Gardiner can be good partner for him. Skates well and has pretty good offensive skill. Wants to carry the puck and have the puck on his stick. Let's Weber lay low and not need to worry about needing to touch the puck outside of onetiming it or knocking it away. Hopefully Weber's strength can make up for Gardiner's weaknesses and together they can make a good pairing.

Gardiner - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak/Reilly - Juulsen

Gardiner is overrated. If he wants to sign a 3 year team friendly deal at lets say $3.5M max, I would do it but doubt Gardiner wants to play for the Habs and if he was to sign a team friendly deal, I don't see him signing that with us and having to play against his buddies on the Leafs so often.

If Bergevin signs Gardiner to both AAV and term, I'm going to flip out.

Weber and Mete is a solid pairing. We need to find someone to play with Petry for a few years while we figure out how good Brook, Juulsen, Romanov, and Fleury are.

Rather go after Duchene and try to trade for Brodin or Gost

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Gardiner is overrated. If he wants to sign a 3 year team friendly deal at lets say $3.5M max, I would do it but doubt Gardiner wants to play for the Habs and if he was to sign a team friendly deal, I don't see him signing that with us and having to play against his buddies on the Leafs so often.

If Bergevin signs Gardiner to both AAV and term, I'm going to flip out.

Weber and Mete is a solid pairing. We need to find someone to play with Petry for a few years while we figure out how good Brook, Juulsen, Romanov, and Fleury are.

Rather go after Duchene and try to trade for Brodin or Gost

The odds of getting a 28 years old 20-22 min/game D that can put up 40-50 points at 3.5M is as low as winning draft lottery I recon.

Not sure Habs have trade assets to get a young top 4 D. Besides, we don't even know how long Weber will be able to play as a top pairing D. Whether people want to admit it or not, there is signs of him being impacted by age.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Reactions: True Tick and Tin

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
So he was injured in the playoffs series against SJ too?
He was injured at the end of the year his first season here.
Injured again this year at the end of the season.

Or maybe he just can't handle a full season anymore? Let's not pretend what happen with Weber is news. The writings were on the wall before he was traded here.

Not going to pretend that he isn’t declining or that the trade wasn’t horrible from the start... But it isn’t just decline since it up and down, he played injured last year came back this year and seem better than all of. Sudden next game can’t move laterally... my point was that he is that he isn’t good enough relied on so heavily when he isn’t a 100% and CJ keep sending him out there on the PP and he is totally ineffective since is mobility is even worst than normal.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’m really hoping it’s not a steep physical decline and more so being exhausted from missing a callender year.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Weber isn't placed in a situation to blossom, he excells in the defensive zone and has a slapper, a better pairing partner is what he needs, he'll be fine if he fills his role, a mean physical heavy shot top 4, probably until he retires since his type of game doesn't require speed. Expectations, there is the problem. Just be!

Jul 6, 2016
Not going to pretend that he isn’t declining or that the trade wasn’t horrible from the start... But it isn’t just decline since it up and down, he played injured last year came back this year and seem better than all of. Sudden next game can’t move laterally... my point was that he is that he isn’t good enough relied on so heavily when he isn’t a 100% and CJ keep sending him out there on the PP and he is totally ineffective since is mobility is even worst than normal.

You would decline too if you would have to play with AHL caliber D-men like Mete, Kulak, Reilly or Benn.

Reactions: GeorgeLebay

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's struggled a bit recently but he's looked very solid the last couple games. After missing basically a year of hockey, he's tied with Giordano for most goals by a D since he came back.

Weber has been very consistent...
- Career NHL averages (18 goals and 48 pts and a +7)
- Age 30+ averages (20 goals and 49 pts and a +7)
- With the Habs (19 goals and 47 pts and a +14)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Another great game from the Capt. & the entire team. Loved the shutout, Drouin, Kotkaneimi & Armia were a force all night. Buffalo(Sat.) & Carolina(Rick Dudley's team Sunday) Hmmmm!!!... Go Habs Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Another great game from the Capt. & the entire team. Loved the shutout, Drouin, Kotkaneimi & Armia were a force all night. Buffalo(Sat.) & Carolina(Rick Dudley's team Sunday) Hmmmm!!!... Go Habs Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:
He's been excellent for the majority of the year. So consistent, you can always count on him to play his game night in and night out. Breaking backs and snapping twine

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's also missed almost an entire season + summer + start of the season. It's just as likely, if not even more, that fatigue is simply catching up to him.
Fatigue may be a factor but it was night and day from one game to the next. Fatigue isn't going to manifest itself that dramatically from one game to another. He's nursing something.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He's struggled a bit recently but he's looked very solid the last couple games. After missing basically a year of hockey, he's tied with Giordano for most goals by a D since he came back.
I mean, he is Shea f***in Weber!!!!

The detractors have been absent since his recent play.....people need to just own up and admit he’s the man, the Mountain Man!!

Reminds me of Big Joe Mufferaw

images

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Fatigue may be a factor but it was night and day from one game to the next. Fatigue isn't going to manifest itself that dramatically from one game to another. He's nursing something.
Pretty sure most players in the NHL are nursing things right now.
Fatigue can be night and day btw because once it starts to manifest, if someone can exploit it, it can show itself pretty easily.
Flaws pop up quickly once fatigue is noticed.

Reactions: jaffy27

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
BTW anybody expecting the NHL to penalize the Preds for a contract given by the Flyers is living in la la land. Absolutely no way it will happen.

Either the NHL will change the rule in the next CBA to exclude contracts signed after matching an offer sheet or there will be some shenanigans and Weber will not retire but finish his career on the LTIR while his injury will be being an old guy.

In about 3 years that penalty becomes almost nothing. 500k hit when he will likely retire.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
BTW anybody expecting the NHL to penalize the Preds for a contract given by the Flyers is living in la la land. Absolutely no way it will happen.

Either the NHL will change the rule in the next CBA to exclude contracts signed after matching an offer sheet or there will be some shenanigans and Weber will not retire but finish his career on the LTIR while his injury will be being an old guy.

You can look at it in another angle... What about those teams and GM's that listened to Bettman and didn't sign cap circumventing contracts? Do you think these teams and Bettman are going to let those aggressive GM's get away with it where they benefited from a lower cap hit for several years? What about the Kings who have been already absorbing Richards contract that they traded for (Flyers signed it)? How about the Canucks who might face a $4M cap hit for 3 years if Luongo retires this off season. They are just going to play nice to the Preds and give them a break? :laugh:

Yeah, it sucks to be the Preds cause they did not offer him that contract but they did match it. At the end of the day, they benefited from a AAV vs Actual money difference and you can't ignore it

I think you are only looking at it from one angle (the Preds angle) and remember, all teams need to vote on this and you can bank on the fact that Bettman is going to be involved. He warned teams against cap circumventing contracts.

Maybe the NHL teams will vote on lowering the $24M of cap hits the Preds will face to some degree. Getting rid of it completely? Come on man. That will make some happy and the majority of teams who didn't try to bend the rules very unhappy

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You would decline too if you would have to play with AHL caliber D-men like Mete, Kulak, Reilly or Benn.

And yet he is scoring a lot of even strength points and is a clear + player, better than his team, despite facing top players and having a meh partner.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I mean, he is Shea ****in Weber!!!!

The detractors have been absent since his recent play.....people need to just own up and admit he’s the man, the Mountain Man!!

Reminds me of Big Joe Mufferaw

images
sure, Shea Weber reminds you (reminds you really ? lol) of a guy who's actions for the most part were exagerated, if not completely fabricated...:clap: :clap: :clap:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You can look at it in another angle... What about those teams and GM's that listened to Bettman and didn't sign cap circumventing contracts? Do you think these teams and Bettman are going to let those aggressive GM's get away with it where they benefited from a lower cap hit for several years? What about the Kings who have been already absorbing Richards contract that they traded for (Flyers signed it)? How about the Canucks who might face a $4M cap hit for 3 years if Luongo retires this off season. They are just going to play nice to the Preds and give them a break? :laugh:

Yeah, it sucks to be the Preds cause they did not offer him that contract but they did match it. At the end of the day, they benefited from a AAV vs Actual money difference and you can't ignore it

I think you are only looking at it from one angle (the Preds angle) and remember, all teams need to vote on this and you can bank on the fact that Bettman is going to be involved. He warned teams against cap circumventing contracts.

Maybe the NHL teams will vote on lowering the $24M of cap hits the Preds will face to some degree. Getting rid of it completely? Come on man. That will make some happy and the majority of teams who didn't try to bend the rules very unhappy

That's the thing the preds did not write this contract the Flyers did. Preds only options was to equal the offer or lose the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad