Tribute Shea Weber: Gone to Vegas

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He's so useless offensively. The only thing he got was his killer shot but killer shot has now a different meaning. He will either kill the glass or his own teammates.

He has 0 creativity offensively. The numbers of time I saw him dump the puck deep without any pressure while his forwards were waiting for the puck.

Even defensively he's getting very weak with his numerous turnovers.

Overall he's been pretty bad in terms of 1st D standards.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
"Lack of support" sums it up.

Petry is kind of like a Max Paccioretty. Really good player but not somebody who should be carrying your team. With Weber going away a lot more is put on Petry. It's killing us just like it did when Weber was hurt in 2018. You can't just have one guy (who's a great 2nd pairing guy) carry the load.

People keep screaming about the forwards and the goalie... it's the defense!!! That's our problem.

Defense being a problem doesn't mean our offense and goalie aren't.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Defense being a problem doesn't mean our offense and goalie aren't.
Do you think Allen has played well? Because since taking over he's been .897. Goaltending is not the problem.

As for our forwards, they'd be significantly better with a decent blueline. We are needlessly making things hard for ourselves. You can't play with a shit blueline like that and think you aren't going to cause problems throughout your lineup. It's f***ing crazy how bad we are back there.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Do you think Allen has played well? Because since taking over he's been .897. Goaltending is not the problem.

As for our forwards, they'd be significantly better with a decent blueline. We are needlessly making things hard for ourselves. You can't play with a shit blueline like that and think you aren't going to cause problems throughout your lineup. It's f***ing crazy how bad we are back there.

built in MB (& Richardson's) image, unfortunately.

Weber himself would probably be significantly more serviceable and settling into a solid late career run were he able to be partnered with a solid PMD partner.

He can't carry a pairing, he can't play with skating/puck limited partners like Edmundson and be expected to deliver anything close to top pairing (and, as we've seen, even quality top-4) caliber play.

accepting that will be necessary by this management team if we are going to see competent roster assembly this summer

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Come on man. I think you should know better. This is a team sports. If the goalie plays well, the D won't look that bad. If the D plays well, it will help the goalie. If the offense does well, it will take pressure off the defense and goalie. I agree that the D has been bad, just as much offensively than defensively but the offense sucks just as much and goaltending too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's so useless offensively. The only thing he got was his killer shot but killer shot has now a different meaning. He will either kill the glass or his own teammates.

He has 0 creativity offensively. The numbers of time I saw him dump the puck deep without any pressure while his forwards were waiting for the puck.

His foot speed is the problem and it's very noticeable this season IMO. It has ripple effects on his game cause he has to make quick decisions where he ends up turning the puck over. What bothers me the most is now his physical game is affected this year. I would have expected him to still be a force along the walls and in puck battles. Same kind of problem with Staal. I expect more from them in the gritty game. Once that area of their game is affected, it starts to look very bad

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
So nothing about Marinaro (sick podcast) and Nick Kypreos talking about Weber
He is playing on one leg, due to injury that needto be fix but if it does, that could mean end of career.
So they are talking about the possibility that he could retire real soon (like next year)

Weber_recap-600x169.jpg

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So nothing about Marinaro (sick podcast) and Nick Kypreos talking about Weber
He is playing on one leg, due to injury that needto be fix but if it does, that could mean end of career.
So they are talking about the possibility that he could retire real soon (like next year)

Weber_recap-600x169.jpg

I don't see anyway he plays out his contract. Whether it's retirement or Robidas Island.

Age, minutes he's played throughout his career, injuries etc.

He is nearing the end.

Reactions: Kwikwi

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Maybe Weber isn't hurt, maybe he's just old and is no longer good.

I always find it hilarious which players the media decides to apply the "he must be injured" narrative to. Maybe the 35 year old, aging D-man just sucks now because of age.

There is so much effort from the Habs media to defend Weber's tenure here, it's so gross. It's even grosser when you recall how low the threshold was to completely bash a player like Koivu, Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov.

Koivu came back from cancer and gave his heart out every damn shift. Dude played with garbage players, but hustled like I've never seen anyone hustle.

Pacioretty, Subban and Price led the team on it's most exciting playoff run since '93 and were leaders on the most successful habs club in almost 3 decades. Subban was a top defender in the league, Pacioretty has been one of the best scoring LW in the league, Price made this team look decent for years.

Weber manned one of the worst habs teams in history and has no memorable moments other than breaking Gallagher's hand 3 times.

Yet, the only person here that constantly gets defended by the media is Weber while the other 4 guys got f***ing trashed day in and day out.

It's so f***ing gross. I hate what MB has done to this club and the media. He's sucked all the life and joy out of hockey and turned the media into a bunch of f***ing sychophants. It really really sucks to be a habs fan.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think he has creativity but it's been pushed to side cause he knows he has no time and space with his weak skating. That changes players cause forwards attack well and close gaps in a heart beat. Weber is not stupid and he survives but yeah, he's been making some mistakes that he didn't in the past. Age and how the game is getting faster is catching up to the big and heavy Weber. He's not that lean. Petry is lean for his height.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Our Blueline is decent in terms of playing physical and being in position. However, aside from Petry, we don't have puck movers. What we are seeing is bad passes and then the other player gets the puck and is smothered. Flames exposed that area of our team very well IMO.

One area you are overlooking is the impact forwards play in our team D. They are not innocent in terms of turning the puck over as well (in our own end). It makes things worse when we got centers who are not puck possession beasts. Both our D and forwards lack puck possession guys who can skate it out and also deal with some contract. It's a problem

Our team D issues are deeper than you may or may not realize. It's not solely on the lack of mobility on our D.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009

I always find it hilarious which players the media decides to apply the "he must be injured" narrative to. Maybe the 35 year old, aging D-man just sucks now because of age.

There is so much effort from the Habs media to defend Weber's tenure here, it's so gross. It's even grosser when you recall how low the threshold was to completely bash a player like Koivu, Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov.

Koivu came back from cancer and gave his heart out every damn shift. Dude played with garbage players, but hustled like I've never seen anyone hustle.

Pacioretty, Subban and Price led the team on it's most exciting playoff run since '93 and were leaders on the most successful habs club in almost 3 decades. Subban was a top defender in the league, Pacioretty has been one of the best scoring LW in the league, Price made this team look decent for years.

Weber manned one of the worst habs teams in history and has no memorable moments other than breaking Gallagher's hand 3 times.

Yet, the only person here that constantly gets defended by the media is Weber while the other 4 guys got f***ing trashed day in and day out.

It's so f***ing gross. I hate what MB has done to this club and the media. He's sucked all the life and joy out of hockey and turned the media into a bunch of f***ing sychophants. It really really sucks to be a habs fan.

The source seems to say that he his playing on one leg. Hence the issue with his mobility.
I think there's a possibility that after next year he will be gone.

And then we look on the RD side and cry a bit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see anyway he plays out his contract. Whether it's retirement or Robidas Island.

Age, minutes he's played throughout his career, injuries etc.

He is nearing the end.

His contract was designed for him to retire after his age 37 season where he has 3 more years at $1M actual salary (cap circumventing contract). The question I have is does he retire at age 35 or 36? A year or so ago, I would have said no but now I'm wondering

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The source seems to say that he his playing on one leg. Hence the issue with his mobility.
I think there's a possibility that after next year he will be gone.

And then we look on the RD side and cry a bit

Weber is not providing more than a $4M player at RD this season so no need to cry if he retires after next year. Brook is coming along nicely and Fleury can be used in a bottom pairing role. I think we need Chiarot after next season and hopefully we don't loose him in the expansion draft. He's underrated.

Romanov / Petry
Edmundson / Brook
Chiarot / Fleury
* Harris, Norlinder, Guhle knocking on the door

And this does not factor in a possible UFA signing at RD with Weber's cap hit. Or a trade. When I look a the entire picture, I see a young core that is going to be good but we need a reset or mini rebuild before they reach their prime (24/25+)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Oh look a guy with PK photo still butthurt about the trade lol. You and the Lars Eller guy should get a room.

How about instead of a vast conspiracy the simple obvious explanation of he is old and his leg is still messed up would be the obvious answer and then if so what's the point of crapping over him?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Oh look a guy with PK photo still butthurt about the trade lol. You and the Lars Eller guy should get a room.

How about instead of a vast conspiracy the simple obvious explanation of he is old and his leg is still messed up would be the obvious answer and then if so what's the point of crapping over him?

Or he's just getting old. It's not because his leg is messed up that he makes bad decisions with the puck, turns it over without pressure and can't hit the net with a shot or make a 5 foot pass.

These are indeed excuses for an aging D man.

It has nothing to do with the PK trade. It has to do with Weber's treatment relative to the history of how leaders in Montreal are treated.

Weber has done nothing in 6 years, has captained one of the worst clubs and stretched in habs history, has no defining moments, and he gets almost no backlash from the media.

No leader ever would be able to go over this unscathed.

It's not about crapping on him and about being truthful about his current state and the reaction to his poor play over the last two seasons.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Or he's just getting old. It's not because his leg is messed up that he makes bad decisions with the puck, turns it over without pressure and can't hit the net with a shot or make a 5 foot pass.

These are indeed excuses for an aging D man.

It has nothing to do with the PK trade. It has to do with Weber's treatment relative to the history of how leaders in Montreal are treated.

Weber has done nothing in 6 years, has captained one of the worst clubs and stretched in habs history, has no defining moments, and he gets almost no backlash from the media.

No leader ever would be able to go over this unscathed.

It's not about crapping on him and about being truthful about his current state and the reaction to his poor play over the last two seasons.

The team result has been poor the past few years because there's not enough talent, mostly because the Habs failed at drafting for almost a decade from 2009-2016. It's not because 1 player didn't "do enough". Before injuries Weber was doing his job, logging big minutes against top players and scoring at a 20g pace. Since then the past 2 seasons his play has noticeably slowed down and declined. Everyone knows it, what does screaming and name calling accomplish?

Will he retire or get some LTIR arrangement after this season (to prevent Nashville from getting totally boned)? Seems likelier now.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The team result has been poor the past few years because there's not enough talent, .
That hadn't stop the media from shitting on Roy, Koivu, Gionta, Pacioretty, Price etc, when they manned teams with little talent.

I've never seen a captain given so much rope when he manned a team that accomplished so little.

And I'm talking about the last two seasons where Weber's play has been poor while the team has struggled.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd have no issues with him on the bottom pair, but we see how different the team is without him. Really hoping we trade him. Maybe Seattle would want him, Nashville could want him back, Arizona may like his leadership.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'd have no issues with him on the bottom pair, but we see how different the team is without him. Really hoping we trade him. Maybe Seattle would want him, Nashville could want him back, Arizona may like his leadership.
Why aren't they playing him on the bottom pair with Romanov? Please? It would damper Romanov but at least it would give us a better chance to win games.

Reactions: Tanknation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->