Speculation: Shea Theodore Holdout/Trade?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why worry? He'll get signed. It's not like Willie Nylander looking for 7-8m or a full NTC.

Wait a week. If he's not signed then, by all means worry.

alfred_e_neuman.jpg

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My experience is that SOME players that hold out need at least a full week of getting up to speed (before you'd want to put player in lineup). Others may take a month or more. Really depends on the player, his role, and his fitness/health level.

Don't have a clue where Theodore is on that scale.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
My experience is that SOME players that hold out need at least a full week of getting up to speed (before you'd want to put player in lineup). Others may take a month or more. Really depends on the player, his role, and his fitness/health level.

Don't have a clue where Theodore is on that scale.

Disclaimer: It's pre-season.....

It honestly looks right now like GG can ice a competitive team without him.

Disclaimer: It's pre-season.....

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Not trying to stir stuff up but what would Vegas want back as a trade? I'm thinking a 2nd or late first. To advance that argument what are your thoughts on;

Theodore = Sabres lowest 1st (SJ/STL)+ Moulson (50% retained for cap reasons)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
1)not even remotely a decent offer
2)Theodore won't be traded unless it's a similar defenseman(#2 upside) coming back
3)we'll take Moulson off your hands for a 2nd though

Reactions: derriko

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
My thought was you are not a cap team this year and the 50% equals his real (not cap) salary. lets take that off the table and be more general.

Is Theodore for a 1st in the 20-30 range a fair value?

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
My thought was you are not a cap team this year and the 50% equals his real (not cap) salary. lets take that off the table and be more general.

Is Theodore for a 1st in the 20-30 range a fair value?

I'll beat that: Krug even up. Actually I think there are a lot of teams that would beat that deal.

Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Ehhhh. I don't think so.

Hampus Lindholm and Rikard Rakell both held out well into the Ducks 16-17 season. Rakell had a 30 goal season and Lindholm was part of one of the top shutdown pairs in the NHL and both were key in the Ducks' run to the WCF.

He's shooting himself in the foot but I don't think it will necessarily be ultra damaging to his play.

Interesting. There’s a couple examples in my head of it going the other way, like Erik Karlsson last year, Jared Cowen a couple years before that, I think Zibanehad did too, but Karlsson was injured which is a bit different.

Good to know the Ducks examples. With Schmidt out, Theodore is an absolute need with his puck moving ability to keep Vegas’s fastest transition team in the league title. Looks like his agent and him know it.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I have to think we are going to see a trade. And personally I am not as high on the kid as many seem to be. I'd flip him for best offer and move on.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I have to think we are going to see a trade. And personally I am not as high on the kid as many seem to be. I'd flip him for best offer and move on.
If it comes down to paying him an extra million and a half for a couple years or cutting bait and moving on, I think we're a long way from the cutting bait option.

Honestly, he's definitely worth what we're willing to pay him or any other RFA with his experience, if he's going crazy with the demands, it's going to take a while. If it's $2.5 or so for a couple of years, or $4MM for 5 or so, I'm in. I've got a feeling he's trying to get mid term money for the short term until he goes UFA. If that's the case, and he's willing to stand on the side to get it, he's losing a little leverage with every passing day since the Schmidt news. Brannstrom isn't as ready as I'd like, but he's definitely showing to be a potential stopgap that makes Theodore a little less valuable/urgent to get signed, IMO.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Brannstrom is the very near future for this blueline. Hague isn't too far behind, surprisingly to myself at least (I always expect the big dudes like him to take a little extra time). The Knights are not in any sort of hurt locker without him. Better with him, sure. But they need to be smart and appropriate with contracts and if a guy is out of touch with that you move him.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Brannstrom is the very near future for this blueline. Hague isn't too far behind, surprisingly to myself at least (I always expect the big dudes like him to take a little extra time). The Knights are not in any sort of hurt locker without him. Better with him, sure. But they need to be smart and appropriate with contracts and if a guy is out of touch with that you move him.

All a moot point now :)

I would like to see Bischoff and Brannstrom get 9 day swings with the team while Schmidt is vacationing. Though I'll admit that would leave Hunt as a scratch, and he has done pretty well this pre-season.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->