Movies: Shazam!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Heading to this tonight. There’s something to be said for going to movies with low expectations. Not to say I expect this movie to be bad, but there’s just not as much on the line as there is with Endgame, for example.

Sounds like an enjoyable movie, so I’m looking forward to it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Really enjoyed this! I would agree that it’s a bit slow at times, but still a well done movie overall that I throughly enjoyed!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I like what I have seen and heard. Could be the first DC movie I see in theatres since Batman v Superman.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
You think it's OK to take my 5 & 8 year-olds to?

Umm... that’s actually something I was wondering last night (whether it’s a kid friendly movie). Most of it is fine, but there are a few things in there that may be inappropriate for younger kids. But I feel like some of that may go over their head anyway. I would probably lean more towards no, but I’m not great at judging this either, because each parent is different with what they’ll allow their kids to watch.

There are a few bad words and some adult hinted humor, but it doesn’t go overboard by any means. For the 5 year old, it also depends if they’ll get scared or not, because there are some darker things shown from time to time. It’s such a weird mix of childish, but also grown up stuff at the same ide... which makes sense given the storyline of the movie.. so it’s kind of hard to answer that question, honestly.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I like what I have seen and heard. Could be the first DC movie I see in theatres since Batman v Superman.

Just don’t go in with the expectations of some masterpiece, and you should enjoy it. Basically, just don’t take it too seriously, and you won’t be disappointed.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Umm... that’s actually something I was wondering last night (whether it’s a kid friendly movie). Most of it is fine, but there are a few things in there that may be inappropriate for younger kids. But I feel like some of that may go over their head anyway. I would probably lean more towards no, but I’m not great at judging this either, because each parent is different with what they’ll allow their kids to watch.

There are a few bad words and some adult hinted humor, but it doesn’t go overboard by any means. For the 5 year old, it also depends if they’ll get scared or not, because there are some darker things shown from time to time. It’s such a weird mix of childish, but also grown up stuff at the same ide... which makes sense given the storyline of the movie.. so it’s kind of hard to answer that question, honestly.

I've seen some reviews mention that the humor is very childish, aimed more at around 10 year olds. I watched Tyrone Magnus review and to him the humor was too silly. Then again I don't take his words as "gospel" because his opinions are so way off with some movies compared to mine (MoS, Captain Marvel).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I've seen some reviews mention that the humor is very childish, aimed more at around 10 year olds. I watched Tyrone Magnus review and to him the humor was too silly. Then again I don't take his words as "gospel" because his opinions are so way off with some movies compared to mine (MoS, Captain Marvel).

There’s definitely some of that, but there’s also some more adultish jokes in there too. As I said, it’s an interesting mix... but that makes sense given it’s about a kid who transforms into an adult, too. I would say some of the kid jokes are also aimed at the “kid side” of adults, if that makes sense. But I certainly didn’t leave the movie thinking is way too kid-ish for me.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just don’t go in with the expectations of some masterpiece, and you should enjoy it. Basically, just don’t take it too seriously, and you won’t be disappointed.

Well that mindset is basically why I like the Marvel movies so much. :sarcasm:

I like the tone I have seen from the ads. It seems to know its station, which I like from superhero movies.

Im sure Zach Snyder thought he was making masterpieces. :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Well that mindset is basically why I like the Marvel movies so much. :sarcasm:

I like the tone I have seen from the ads. It seems to know its station, which I like from superhero movies.

Im sure Zach Snyder thought he was making masterpieces. :laugh:

Haha.. I mean you’re right. People go into too many superhero movies expecting some earth shattering movie that trascends generations. When, in reality, most of them are what they are - superhero movies meant to be fun. Sometimes, there’s not some huge message trying to be portrayed. It’s just meant to not think too much about and enjoy.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Shazam is basically for kids. Well, the target audience is around 10-12 years old. Still a good movie though. I would rate it 2nd.

Kinda like this:
1) Man of Steel / Wonder Woman
2) Aquaman / Shazam
3) The rest of DCEU

Zachary "Chuck" Levi is awesome in this role.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Shazam is basically for kids. Well, the target audience is around 10-12 years old. Still a good movie though. I would rate it 2nd.

Kinda like this:
1) Man of Steel / Wonder Woman
2) Aquaman / Shazam
3) The rest of DCEU

Zachary "Chuck" Levi is awesome in this role.

He is soooo good in this film.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Haha.. I mean you’re right. People go into too many superhero movies expecting some earth shattering movie that trascends generations. When, in reality, most of them are what they are - superhero movies meant to be fun. Sometimes, there’s not some huge message trying to be portrayed. It’s just meant to not think too much about and enjoy.
That's what Marvel got right - make watching a comic book movie trigger the same things in the brain that reading a comic book does. Yeah, sometimes you can do some deeper stuff, but at the end of the day remember that people want to have fun.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Went and saw it the other day and absolutely loved it. You could tell they took their time with the movie and placed a lot of love in to it.

Levi killed it as Shazam, same with Grazer as Freddy.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I fully expect this to be the Guardians Of The Galaxy type comedy movie of the DCEU.

Well unfortunately I didn't quite get that.

Shazam! 7.85/10. I really expected this to be better but unfortunately everything I saw reviews on Youtube criticize, turned out to be correct. Humor was too silly or aimed at kids and the funniest bits were shown in the trailers, as I feared. Well except for that one bit which I thought was funny (the evil guy speech too far away from Shazam for him to hear). Action scenes were disappointing. It's one saving grace was that it had heart and the foster kids had good chemistry. I just feel it should've been shown more. The first/original Captain Marvel ended up falling behind the newer one (despite it's own movie's flaws). I liked Aquabro more than Shazam!.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I watched the first half of this movie about a month ago, and over the last couple of days I've been struggling to get through the 2nd half

The school bullies are way over-the top, and both Levi and the cripple kid are so cartoonishly annoying, it takes away any and all essential realism

I can't believe this crap has a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad