Shawn Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Sammy said:
I gotcha, kinda like Robbie Scremp is a minority, cause hes not from Canada.
But I still dont get it . You said:

"I would have though the name Torres would've given away the fact that he's not white.
I take it you always mix up the words white, minority & immigrant?
White... as in someone who's ancestors immigrated to Canada from Europe a long time ago. Usually with names like Smith, Jones, Stevenson, Anderson, Martins, etc...

I may look at it a different way as you would.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
Well when most of your points come off second assists and pucks accidentally touching the stick and going in, we're entitled to some questioning.
I'm sorry, I must have missed the news. When did second assists not count, is that a recent development?

Shawn Belle is going to be a very good 2nd pairing blueliner. His speed and sheer physical being is going to help big time. His outlet pass is going to help and that is a very important tool in todays NHL.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Giving this a shy bump. Was wondering whether his WJC performance have changed people's view on Shawn Belle and his eventual upside.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sammy said:
Theres a very good reason why the guy with those kind of physical skills & size was picked number 30 overall.
IMO, there is virtually no chance he ever plays in the NHL as a regular, & I attribute that to his abject stupidity as a hockey player.
Just my .02

Ordinarily, I might agree. But in his case, put that on the count that his faults (lacking in smarts) pushed him back in an almighty draft ;)

The kind of prospects that fell in the 2003 draft despite oozing with potential might not have fallen in a thinner year. GMs saw Belle with all his awesome potential as you just said. Then they probably had the concerns you mentioned. Then they saw there were other players oozing with potential up for grab and they went for it.

I don't think he is as dumb with the puck as you say. I've seen better but I have noticed improvements last year and I notice some this year. I disagree with you that he has virtually no chance. I would rank his chances at over 50%. So I think he will probably be a NHLer.

He is slightly different from the two players I am about to name but has similar issues: Jeff Jillson and David Tanabe. IMO, he can and will be better than both. That being said, the chance he will develop his full-blown 1st pairing potential and become a sort of Jovanovski is fairly thin. But 2nd or 3rd pairing, I think he will make it. Still carries some risk, though. Not a safe bet at all.

True, Belle was 30th overall but man, that first round kicks some ass! In fact, there are already several quality prospects emerging from the 2nd round down. More than usual, IMO.

leafaholix*

Ott = Snott said:
Giving this a shy bump. Was wondering whether his WJC performance have changed people's view on Shawn Belle and his eventual upside.
Not really, although he played well at the WJC.

His performance hammered home my point of him being successful when he plays a limited role and knows his limits. In the tournament he wasn't relied upon for offensive production, therefore he played a solid physical game. His positioning was better. He still cannot play the puck for his life. It seemed like 2/3 of the time he got the puck in his end, he'd attempt an outlet pass and ice it.

Good player when he plays a limited role, because of his size and skating.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
Not really, although he played well at the WJC.

His performance hammered home my point of him being successful when he plays a limited role and knows his limits. In the tournament he wasn't relied upon for offensive production, therefore he played a solid physical game. His positioning was better. He still cannot play the puck for his life. It seemed like 2/3 of the time he got the puck in his end, he'd attempt an outlet pass and ice it.

Good player when he plays a limited role, because of his size and skating.

Wait...before it was 3 or 4 times he iced the puck on an outlet pass...now its 2/3 of the time? Make up your mind.

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Ordinarily, I might agree. But in his case, put that on the count that his faults (lacking in smarts) pushed him back in an almighty draft ;)

The kind of prospects that fell in the 2003 draft despite oozing with potential might not have fallen in a thinner year. GMs saw Belle with all his awesome potential as you just said. Then they probably had the concerns you mentioned. Then they saw there were other players oozing with potential up for grab and they went for it.

I don't think he is as dumb with the puck as you say. I've seen better but I have noticed improvements last year and I notice some this year. I disagree with you that he has virtually no chance. I would rank his chances at over 50%. So I think he will probably be a NHLer.

He is slightly different from the two players I am about to name but has similar issues: Jeff Jillson and David Tanabe. IMO, he can and will be better than both. That being said, the chance he will develop his full-blown 1st pairing potential and become a sort of Jovanovski is fairly thin. But 2nd or 3rd pairing, I think he will make it. Still carries some risk, though. Not a safe bet at all.

True, Belle was 30th overall but man, that first round kicks some ass! In fact, there are already several quality prospects emerging from the 2nd round down. More than usual, IMO.
I must say upon watching him in the WJC, I agree to an extent now. He has to keep his game simple as simple as can be & try to take virtually no risks. If he can do that (which he did well in the WJC), he has a much greater crack at playing in the showw cause of his superior physical skills. But he has to take virtually no risks.

leafaholix*

Sammy said:
I must say upon watching him in the WJC, I agree to an extent now. He has to keep his game simple as simple as can be & try to take virtually no risks. If he can do that (which he did well in the WJC), he has a much greater crack at playing in the showw cause of his superior physical skills. But he has to take virtually no risks.
Exactly.

If he can play a purely defensive game and improve his outlet pass, his chances of making the NHL get better. Offensively he doesn't have the head to do much.

If he can keep it simple and not try to get fancy, he's a safe bet to play as a #4/5 defenseman just based on his size, strength, and fabulous skating.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:

A little. It's the first time I've seen him look good on a smaller ice surface. And he's finally producing in the WHL, so I'm a lot more optimistic about his future than I was at the beginning of the season.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Chaos said:
Was there a reason Martin Havlat was picked 26th overall? Or maybe Pavol Demitra in the 8th round, or Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th(I think) round, or Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round, or Nicklas Lidstrom in the 3rd round. I could go on and on. You definately cant judge someone on draft position.

But you'll be right a lot, lot more than assuming that it makes no difference.

Hockeycanada*

Hi, this is my first post.

Anyways, I was very impressed by Belle after what I had heard of him before. He could be a #2 or 3 defenseman in the NHL if he continues to mature.

I guess only time will tell.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Hockeycanada said:
Hi, this is my first post.

Anyways, I was very impressed by Belle after what I had heard of him before. He could be a #2 or 3 defenseman in the NHL if he continues to mature.

I guess only time will tell.
Welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad