Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leafaholix said:
I think he'll be a good #4/5 guy.

Defensive defenseman, a possible journeyman because of his lack of puck skills. The AHL may eat him alive defensively before he can get back on his pony and settle in.

No offence, but that's like the exact opposite of what kind of player he is. If he EVER makes it it should be as a 4/5 Andy Delmore style player, but a bit stronger.

The Hedican comparison was spot on, but he's definately not as smart of a player.

I can't even see him being a NHL regular with his hockey smarts (or lack there-of). But he definately will never make it as a defensive-defenseman, IMO. He plays a very offensive game.

leafaholix*

Reveille said:
No offence, but that's like the exact opposite of what kind of player he is. If he EVER makes it it should be as a 4/5 Andy Delmore style player, but a bit stronger.

The Hedican comparison was spot on, but he's definately not as smart of a player.

I can't even see him being a NHL regular with his hockey smarts (or lack there-of). But he definately will never make it as a defensive-defenseman, IMO. He plays a very offensive game.
I definitely see him as a defensive defenseman if he ever makes it. Big, strong, and mobile... a guy that can muscle off other players and dump the puck off in transition. Not the typical defensive defenseman like Adam Foote, Robyn Regehr, etc... but like Bret Hedican.

Or you can call him a tweener, not an offensive defenseman or a defensive defenseman.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leafaholix said:
I definitely see him as a defensive defenseman if he ever makes it. Big, strong, and mobile... a guy that can muscle off other players and dump the puck off in transition. Not the typical defensive defenseman like Adam Foote, Robyn Regehr, etc... but like Bret Hedican.

Or you can call him a tweener, not an offensive defenseman or a defensive defenseman.

I'll just call him stupid. :P

leafaholix*

Reveille said:
I'll just call him stupid. :P
No offence to the him, but he doesn't have the brain for the game.

Otherwise, he seems like a stand up guy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leafaholix said:
No offence to the him, but he doesn't have the brain for the game.

Otherwise, he seems like a stand up guy.

Doesn't strike me as good or bad, just another kid in the game (which, I guess is a good thing since he's not an ass).

It would be nice seeing him make it, because I always would like to see more minorities in the game. Opens the doors for kids of that ethnicity wanting to play the game, you know?

leafaholix*

Reveille said:
Doesn't strike me as good or bad, just another kid in the game (which, I guess is a good thing since he's not an ass).

It would be nice seeing him make it, because I always would like to see more minorities in the game. Opens the doors for kids of that ethnicity wanting to play the game, you know?
I know what you mean.

Kind of off topic, but Team Canada's had a boatload of minorities in the WJC over the last decade with Shawn Belle, Jarome Iginla, Jason Doig, Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, Mike Ribeiro, Manny Fernandez, Paul Kariya, etc...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leafaholix said:
I know what you mean.

Kind of off topic, but Team Canada's had a boatload of minorities in the WJC over the last decade with Shawn Belle, Jarome Iginla, Jason Doig, Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, Mike Ribeiro, Manny Fernandez, Paul Kariya, etc...

Nigel Dawes.

210 said:
Can someone point out an article somewhere that says Belle isn't smart, and that his lack of smarts caused him to fall to pick #30?

Thanks.

This was the second link on Google about the 2003 Draft, I'm sure there are more if you want to look for it.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/draft2003/columns/hradek_ej/1571167.html

30. St. Louis Blues: Shawn Belle, D. The Tri-City (WHL) defenseman is a gifted skater with superb acceleration, but many scouts feel he lacks hockey sense. Against junior competition, his skating skill might be enough to get him out of trouble. At the pro level, you have to be able to think the game. Belle could be a long-term project for the Blues, who might have been better off selecting St. Michael's D-man Kevin Klein, who went to Nashville in the second round.

Edit: I hope people understand that by saying Belle is not smart, it means that he lacks hockey sense which can stem from a lot of things including having started playing at a later age.

leafaholix*

jlowry_19 said:
there is 3 this year with belle stewart and dawes
Did Max Fortunas ever play for Canada in the WJC?

Or was he a late cut?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Doomsday Device said:
Edit: I hope people understand that by saying Belle is not smart, it means that he lacks hockey sense which can stem from a lot of things including having started playing at a later age.

The key to what you just said is starting age. Experience is gained at every level and the longer you play a sport, the more you pick up and you increase your "hockey sense." I would expect that he is playing better this year, looking at his stats...

Now, my question for all who have said he will be a bust or journeyman.. Have you seen him play on a regular basis? Or are you going off what has been said of his game last year?

He is on the Canadian Jr. team that on paper is said to be the favorite. And he isn't a token player... he will get a decent amount of playing time. If he was set to be a bust, he wouldn't be on the team.

I am always stunned by the number of people who use their crystal ball to decide who will be great and who wont be.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Doomsday Device said:
]Edit: I hope people understand that by saying Belle is not smart, it means that he lacks hockey sense which can stem from a lot of things including having started playing at a later age.

And its entirely possible that as he gets older and plays more, his hockey sense will improve. Judging by his numbers from the WHL this year, it appears he could be headed in that direction.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Chaos said:
Was there a reason Martin Havlat was picked 26th overall? Or maybe Pavol Demitra in the 8th round, or Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th(I think) round, or Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round, or Nicklas Lidstrom in the 3rd round. I could go on and on. You definately cant judge someone on draft position.

Interesting to note that all these guys are euros. I think most draft steals are euros with much fewer of them being NA because NAs are so much more heavily scouted. This includes Belle who has been scouted for a very long time.

That being said, Belle is one of the toughest prospects around to call.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
jin said:
That being said, Belle is one of the toughest prospects around to call.

Couldn't agree more, because no one really knows for sure whether his 'hockey sense' will catch up to his physical gifts.

Sammy*

Frenzy1 said:
I am always stunned by the number of people who use their crystal ball to decide who will be great and who wont be.
Maybe if you took the time to look at the 1st post in the thread you could figure out why that is.
I am always stunned by the number of fanboys of a particular team who get all agitated when people dont think their boy will be as great as thjey seem to think he will. The funny thing is, the guys who opine & who are not the fanboys of that team are generally way more objective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy*

Chaos said:
Couldn't agree more, because no one really knows for sure whether his 'hockey sense' will catch up to his physical gifts.
Very true, but imo hockey sense is really not something you can easilycoach into a guy. The best you can do is have a guy really simplify his game & become less of a risk taker.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Leafaholix said:
I know what you mean.

Raffi Torres? Heinh? Excuse my homerism, but you're talkin' about the very white guy with blond hair? What is he, a sub-race of the white man?

leafaholix*

Leachmeister2000 said:
Raffi Torres? Heinh? Excuse my homerism, but you're talkin' about the very white guy with blond hair? What is he, a sub-race of the white man?
I would have though the name Torres would've given away the fact that he's not white.

His parents are from Portugal.

Sammy*

Leafaholix said:
I would have though the name Torres would've given away the fact that he's not white.

His parents are from Portugal.
Geez, I thought Portugese were white by & large. Does the same hold true for people from Italy & Spain?

leafaholix*

Sammy said:
Geez, I thought Portugese were white by & large. Does the same hold true for people from Italy & Spain?
Portugese in Canada is a minority... that's the point.

Sammy*

Leafaholix said:
Portugese in Canada is a minority... that's the point.
I gotcha, kinda like Robbie Scremp is a minority, cause hes not from Canada.
But I still dont get it . You said:

"I would have though the name Torres would've given away the fact that he's not white.
I take it you always mix up the words white, minority & immigrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad