OT: Shaw Gateway

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Have been considering upgrading to this with Shaw.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this good or bad. I have read a couple of negative reviews but they were fairly old reviews and can't find anything up to date so thought Shaw may have possibly sorted some early teething problems.
In general I have been pretty happy with Shaw, internet is excellent so don't really want to move to Telus if I don't have to.

Thanks

BleedOil83

Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton
Have been considering upgrading to this with Shaw.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this good or bad. I have read a couple of negative reviews but they were fairly old reviews and can't find anything up to date so thought Shaw may have possibly sorted some early teething problems.
In general I have been pretty happy with Shaw, internet is excellent so don't really want to move to Telus if I don't have to.

Thanks
I recently moved to Shaw and internet has been flawless, literally. Destroys Telus and it isn't even close.

For TV, the Gateway system is decent. I'm never going to need to record 6 HD programs simultaneously but that's just me. The new guide is improved from what I heard it used to be but it's still flawed. Their channel packages aren't as good as Telus and it's more expensive too but I figure for most, internet is primary and TV is secondary these days and in that case - go with Shaw. If you haggle with them when signing up they'll throw in a theme pack or something for free for the first six months. Bell TV is my personal favorite, going away, but unless you're a TV nut - just keep it simple and do Shaw TV + Internet. (and home phone, they'll try their damndest to get you to sign up for a landline too)

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If you or a significant other are in school, Shaw's student discounts are disgustingly good. I was saving pretty much 50% on my bills

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The gateway is an excellent product, though I don't own it myself I know quite a few people who do and they love it. The catch is the price. At $600 for 3 TVs, it's certainly not a bargain. But if the price doesn't put you off, there's no way you won't like it, I don't think.

I really want it but am waiting for the price to fall. Right now I only have 1 PVR in my theatre room... if I had the ability to play recordings in the other rooms, I'd get to them a lot quicker. Definitely on my wish list.

New dawn

Sep 26, 2012
Hello,I'm a long time reader and first time blogger.I've had the Shaw Gateway for about 8 months now and love it.My bundle for cable,Internet & phone was $98 a month and $15 a month for 3 years to purchase the PVR.

OilerNut*

I've been tempted to get shaw gateway for awhile now. I have 2 boxes, so it would be nice to be able to watch recorded programs from both rooms.

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
I have had the Gateway since it first came out in Edmonton. Highly recomend it. Tested it out recently with Center Ice and recorded 6 HD hockey games at once. Worked without any issues.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Switched to Telus from Shaw because Telus' guide, channel packages, HD quality and (I never thought I'd say this because I'm no fan of Telus) their customer service destroys Shaw IMO but the Gateway is a fine system... if you can get over the archaic guide (and remote) like others here have mentioned.

I still don't know why Shaw can't get into the 21st century in that regard.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Appreciate all the feedback guys. It sounds like some of the early issues have been addressed.

The gateway is an excellent product, though I don't own it myself I know quite a few people who do and they love it. The catch is the price. At $600 for 3 TVs, it's certainly not a bargain. But if the price doesn't put you off, there's no way you won't like it, I don't think.
I really want it but am waiting for the price to fall. Right now I only have 1 PVR in my theatre room... if I had the ability to play recordings in the other rooms, I'd get to them a lot quicker. Definitely on my wish list.

Yep it is pricey but currently I have 5 tvs at home and am planning finishing the basement which will make 6, I subscribe to the Shaw HD package but currently only have a HD pvr on 1 tv and just digital boxes on the others. Just to have the benefit of HD on all the tvs I could be spending the equivalent of what the gateway system costs anyway. :( With the added benefits of Gateway it seems like a no brainer provided the reliability is there.

Switched to Telus from Shaw because Telus' guide, channel packages, HD quality and (I never thought I'd say this because I'm no fan of Telus) their customer service destroys Shaw IMO but the Gateway is a fine system... if you can get over the archaic guide (and remote) like others here have mentioned.

I still don't know why Shaw can't get into the 21st century in that regard.

...tbh I have never experienced any problems in regard to Customer service with Shaw, any problems have been dealt with extremely efficiently. :)

I recently moved to Shaw and internet has been flawless, literally. Destroys Telus and it isn't even close.

For TV, the Gateway system is decent. I'm never going to need to record 6 HD programs simultaneously but that's just me. The new guide is improved from what I heard it used to be but it's still flawed. Their channel packages aren't as good as Telus and it's more expensive too but I figure for most, internet is primary and TV is secondary these days and in that case - go with Shaw. If you haggle with them when signing up they'll throw in a theme pack or something for free for the first six months. Bell TV is my personal favorite, going away, but unless you're a TV nut - just keep it simple and do Shaw TV + Internet. (and home phone, they'll try their damndest to get you to sign up for a landline too)

The guide and remote seem to be the negatives with the Gateway system, when you compare it to Telus Optik TV but I think I can live with that if it means retaining Shaw Internet which is outstanding. I use that for Gamecenter live and NCAA football and the kids do the online gaming thing so the last thing I want to do is downgrade on Internet package.
The main concern I had with Shaw Gateway was the reported reliability issues, which now seems to be less of an issue than I thought. Thanks.

Last edited:

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
I am not a big fan of Shaw, they are overpriced for the service you get. When I had it, the internet regularly slowed to a crawl, and currently pay about 30% less with Telus for more channels/better internet.

Maybe they have gotten better in the last year, but I personally perfer Telus.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
I absolutely hate the gateway system. I seem to get a ton of lag(?) where the menus will not load properly or trying to start a recorded show takes a long time. I have contacted shaw and haven't been able to resolve the issue, I don't watch enough tv anymore for it to bother me though. This did not occur before with the shaw pvr I had previously. I also do not like the remote nearly as much, it feels like it is missing options that it previously had. Having a central pvr has it ups and downs, if you are living with roommates I would recommend against it though.

Their internet isn't spectacular and I don't feel like I get what I pay for, that being said from what I have heard it is the best option out there.

Edit to be clear: When I say I get lag with the menus loading, I don't mean 1-2 seconds it will take 1-2 minutes for the menu to become navigable.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I absolutely hate the gateway system. I seem to get a ton of lag(?) where the menus will not load properly or trying to start a recorded show takes a long time. I have contacted shaw and haven't been able to resolve the issue, I don't watch enough tv anymore for it to bother me though. This did not occur before with the shaw pvr I had previously. I also do not like the remote nearly as much, it feels like it is missing options that it previously had. Having a central pvr has it ups and downs, if you are living with roommates I would recommend against it though.

Their internet isn't spectacular and I don't feel like I get what I pay for, that being said from what I have heard it is the best option out there.

Edit to be clear: When I say I get lag with the menus loading, I don't mean 1-2 seconds it will take 1-2 minutes for the menu to become navigable.

Have you called for a free service call and explain the issue?....there should be very minimum lag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad