Boston Globe Shaughnessy: There’s no looking back for Brad Marchand and Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Like the Patriots, the Bruins seem to be doing a better job than the Red Sox of picking up where they left off. The Sox never figured out how to follow up on their World Series win, but the Bruins are playing the same inspired hockey that got them to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup Finals.

“I think the best thing to happen to our group was pretty much staying together,’’ Marchand said. “It allowed us to continue our chemistry and kind of roll in from last year and feel confident and comfortable with one another.

“It’s easy to get on our game quickly when you already have the chemistry and already feel comfortable with one another, and that’s what’s going on here.’’

Keeping things the same seems to have been the offseason goal for Bruins hockey bosses Cam Neely and Don Sweeney. This is the same team that got to Game 7. Playing at the same level so far.

Everything else about the Boston Garden Bruins experience feels different. The locker room is new, there are no more paper game tickets, and there are new food emporiums in and around the arena. Oh, and as you may have heard, the seats are all new and all black.

Many of those seats feel as though they have lost legroom. Perhaps it’s the pitch of the new chairs, or maybe the padding, but some of them make fans feel like they are sitting in the middle coach seat of a United Airlines flight after the guy in front reclines his seat.

There should be a lot of standing ovations at the Garden this year. It hurts too much to stay seated. That’s why family days are good. More children. Fewer complaints.

Are the Bruins blocking out Game 7 or using it as motivation? I wondered.

“I’m not really talking about that anymore,’’ Marchand said, politely. “We’re moving forward. You can’t do anything about it. So we’re really focused on this year.

“I think we’re happy so far this year, but we’re not comfortable. We can do better and I think that’s the message we all know and understand in this room.’’

The Bruins play the Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues at the Garden Oct. 26.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at [email protected]

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One sentence in before he mentioned the Red Sox. My God he is the laziest writer I think I’ve ever seen.

CLICK
upload_2019-10-14_19-27-37.png

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Who is CHB?

"Bye, bye, bye," Everett said. "Don't ask me [expletive]. See you, Globe [expletive]. I just told you. Anybody from the Globe, get the [expletive] away from me. Nobody from the Globe can talk to me. Globe, see you."
Edes was puzzled and tried to be diplomatic. But Everett kept swearing after Red Sox director of communications Kevin Shea stepped in and tried to restore order.
Everett told Edes never to come near him and to pass the message along to his "curly-haired boyfriend," a reference to Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy.

EVERETT BERATES GLOBE WRITERS

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"Bye, bye, bye," Everett said. "Don't ask me [expletive]. See you, Globe [expletive]. I just told you. Anybody from the Globe, get the [expletive] away from me. Nobody from the Globe can talk to me. Globe, see you."
Edes was puzzled and tried to be diplomatic. But Everett kept swearing after Red Sox director of communications Kevin Shea stepped in and tried to restore order.
Everett told Edes never to come near him and to pass the message along to his "curly-haired boyfriend," a reference to Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy.

EVERETT BERATES GLOBE WRITERS

Thanks.

I'd forgotten that.

I was in Rhode Island this weekend so I got to read the Sunday Globe. What a treat. So many excellent writer. Including CHB.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Let's take a moment here and appreciate how much Brad has matured in the past 5 seasons.

I hope he never fully loses the rat in his game, but it's good to see him becoming a leader and realize he doesnt need to be a pest to be effective. You can see it both in the way he carries himself and the way he plays the game.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
"The J. G. Taylor Spink Award is the highest award given by the Baseball Writers' Association of America (BBWAA). "

Which CHB received in 2016.

But of course the BBWAA is full of crap while your opinion is so much more worthwhile.
Hate to break it to ya but most in here side with my view on Shank. Not exactly a rare opinion.

Christopher Cross - Sailing beat Pink Floyd - The Wall for Album of the year which is complete lunacy ....but what do I know, the folks at the Grammys know what they are doing.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Jeremy Jacobs is in the HOF. Sometimes people get lifetime achievement awards for longevity..
Lol, I know you won't agree with this, since it's already pre programmed. Jeremy Jacob's is a Hall of Famer in the
Builder Category. It's not for longevity, it's because hes really good at what he does. What ever money he took from you...
He didn't really took it, you gave it to him.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Lol, I know you won't agree with this, since it's already pre programmed. Jeremy Jacob's is a Hall of Famer in the
Builder Category. It's not for longevity, it's because hes really good at what he does. What ever money he took from you...
He didn't really took it, you gave it to him.

You mean he wasn't a player?

We know you're pre-programmed to agree with everything that the great 'builder' does, but it'a life time achievement award.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Hate to break it to ya but most in here side with my view on Shank. Not exactly a rare opinion.

Christopher Cross - Sailing beat Pink Floyd - The Wall for Album of the year which is complete lunacy ....but what do I know, the folks at the Grammys know what they are doing.

I'm aware of the view in here. Still think I'll side with the BBWAA.

Not sure what the Grammys have to do with sports writers. Seems a very stupid analogy to me.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed Mr. Shaughnessy's columns.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
You mean he wasn't a player?

We know you're pre-programmed to agree with everything that that great 'builder' does, but it'a life time achievement award.
Either way my point stands.
I do admire great athletes whatever the sport, singers, actors, comedians, writers, artists, business men/women...

It's not a Jacob thing. It's about greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad