Boston Globe Shaughnessy: Harry Sinden sees a lot that he likes in this Bruins team

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Harry Sinden sees a lot that he likes in this Bruins team - The Boston Globe

He is the Bear in Winter. Still watching. Still working. Still bleeding Black and Gold.

Harry Sinden will be 87 in a few months and still reports to the Garden regularly, bouncing thoughts and ideas off Bruins president Cam Neely and general manager Don Sweeney.

“My official title is ‘Senior Advisor to the Owner,’ ’’ says Sinden. “But actually the only word that really applies in that title is the first one.

“I go in a couple of days a week. I’ve got very little business to do, but I do connect with Sweeney and Cam.
“They listen,’’ he says with a chuckle. “I don’t think they pay attention, but they listen.’’

Orr last week came to the defense of Zdeno Chara, who has been taking heat on sports talk stations. Sinden concurs.

“I read that and I agree,’’ says the Bruins godfather. “The guy has been tremendous for us. He’s one of the great Bruins players. And obviously, getting to his age . . . everybody writes about Brady being 42. Brady plays 16 games a year. Chara plays 82. And he plays 23 minutes a game and Brady plays six or seven.

“This is no mark against Brady, but Chara has put out an awful lot of energy in the last decade. Some nights he has it tough. I thought Saturday he had a tough night. But I expect him to come back — not to when he was 25 years old — but back from what he was the other night.

“And I’ll tell you something else. He is a great captain. He does exactly what a captain should do. And you’ll notice the Bruins don’t get out of line too much with their comments or anything else. That has a lot to do with Zdeno.’’

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sinden in a cap era would have been great but the guy dedicated his career to driving down salaries. Oh well. Good read there. A guy like Chara will never lose his instincts I don't think hes ever had a better D partner than McAvoy so he's still good overall and able to contribute.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wasn't too long ago that poster here went nuts because it was said Sinden had Sweeney's & Neely's ear. No wonder they were doing such a terrible job!

Lets face it, those guys learned an awful lot about the game from Harry.

Reactions: BBB24

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Wasn't too long ago that poster here went nuts because it was said Sinden had Sweeney's & Neely's ear. No wonder they were doing such a terrible job!

Lets face it, those guys learned an awful lot about the game from Harry.

it wasn't just one poster (including myself)

thankfully i havent posted on here as much as i used to the last few years or there would be a lot of embarrassing takes from me about how badly i thought neely/sweeney and co were running the team

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
The less they listen to that son of a *****, the better off the Bruins will be. :rant:
I know this sounds mean, but........ oh never mind. If I can't find something nice to say about an 87 year old man, then I shall say nothing at all, just like Mumsy and Grandmumsy taught me. Gah........you know I want to say something, too- I agree with you, ST.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad