Proposal: Shattenkirk to NYR

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Shattenkirk + ?

to NYR for

Kreider + ?

Shatts has 1 year remaining on his contract.
Kreider, I believe, is a RFA awaiting a new deal--arbitration?

Is it even value, 1 for 1?
If not, what would it take to make this a worthwhile hockey trade for both teams?

SuperGM17

Jun 17, 2015
British Columbia
Shattenkirk + ?

to NYR for

Kreider + ?

If not, what would it take to make this a worthwhile hockey trade for both teams?

I don't know what the + is, but it's definitely a lot! Shatts will likely sign if NY can afford him so it's a good trade for NY, but Kreider would never, EVER break the top 6 on the Blue's roster! The starter should be a Center(Stepan or Brassard) and a dman like klein or somebody. Then you will be close

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I don't know what the + is, but it's definitely a lot! Shatts will likely sign if NY can afford him so it's a good trade for NY, but Kreider would never, EVER break the top 6 on the Blue's roster! The starter should be a Center(Stepan or Brassard) and a dman like klein or somebody. Then you will be close

If they get him and extend him what will they do in expansion draft when they have to protect Staal and Girardi, leave Mcdonaugh out?

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Shattenkirk + ?

to NYR for

Kreider + ?

Shattenkirk would vastly improve the defense, but I just don't see anything that makes sense. If you trade Kreider + and the + doesn't include Staal/Girardi it's a complete waste of assets for a year of shattenkirk. There would be no room for an extension.

The need is there, but I don't see a fit from a trade perspective.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Brassard and a slight add, I can see.

Stepan would be straight swap, if anything I think I may want an add from the Blues.

overall, I think the values we share on these players is a bit different.

No worries

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
His best days always come playoff time so..

His 20 goals would probably make him STL's top playoff scorer with Backes and Brouwer now gone.

No...but, maybe you mean career wise, and not going forward, but who cares about that when there is a big difference in playoff games played compared to our top goal scorers.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Much better just waiting until he is a free agent if he wants to play in NY. Would love him on our team but wouldnt be worth it for us to give up alot of assets for him atm.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
1. Wait a year, keep assets
2. ???
3. Profit

Basically. But that just means this is another year down the tubes.

And then the following year with our core another year older and even further declined, what exactly is Shattenkirk going to help solve?

Shatty, while a hell of a player, to NYR makes no sense.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Basically. But that just means this is another year down the tubes.

And then the following year with our core another year older and even further declined, what exactly is Shattenkirk going to help solve?

Shatty, while a hell of a player, to NYR makes no sense.

That's the bed we've made.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That's the bed we've made.

So we should un-make it.

Blow it up now. Trade every current roster player outside the younger guys (Hayes, Kreider, JT, Skjei, Buch, Rath). I'd even be OK losing some of these trades in the present if it meant a long term gain.

This roster as constructed ATM is very mediocre. We'll be decent enough to be a wild card team, maybe even win a round, but nowhere near good enough to make a serious run. And we certainly won't be bad enough to get those top 3 picks we desperately need. Nearly every legit contender's best players are players drafted in the top 3.

we had a good run. But we traded away a bunch of picks, prospects and as a playoff team every single year since the first lockout, we've never drafted inside the top 10.

Within 3 years we'll be the worst team in the Metro. And then we'll start the rebuild. But until then this will all be a huge waste of time.

Orrrr a less radical, much simpler solution would be to fire AV.

It's no coincidence nearly every player on our roster had the worst season of their careers, or regressed hard. The only player I show any signs of improvement was Miller. Oh, and we had our worst playoff showing since 2006.

All those things happening at the same time?

A drastic change is needed.

I mean did you guys see Glass out there with 5 minutes left down 2 goals in Pittsburgh for Game 1?!?!?

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So we should un-make it.

Blow it up now. Trade every current roster player outside the younger guys (Hayes, Kreider, JT, Skjei, Buch, Rath). I'd even be OK losing some of these trades in the present if it meant a long term gain.

This roster as constructed ATM is very mediocre. We'll be decent enough to be a wild card team, maybe even win a round, but nowhere near good enough to make a serious run. And we certainly won't be bad enough to get those top 3 picks we desperately need. Nearly every legit contender's best players are players drafted in the top 3.

we had a good run. But we traded away a bunch of picks, prospects and as a playoff team every single year since the first lockout, we've never drafted inside the top 10.

Within 3 years we'll be the worst team in the Metro. And then we'll start the rebuild. But until then this will all be a huge waste of time.

I hear ya and it's tempting but don't think that there's been a precedent for a 100 pt team to tear everything down and make the 10-15 trades it would take to execute your vision. It's just not feasible. Resign yourself to 3 years of 6-8 playoff seeding and 1st or 2nd round exits and hopefully incremental improvements. Hopefully we cycle upwards and others cycle downwards. Vague I know but As they say in DeNiro movies, it is what it is....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are a lot of players like Kreider populating second lines and even first lines who disappear for stretches of games. Saying Kreider would never, EVER break the top 6 of the Blues forwards is just laughable. Chris outpointed Lehtera, Fabbri, Perron, Schwartz (he was injured for a while) and Berglund last year--and oh yeah Chris didn't even have a very good season. He's capable of being quite a bit better.

Anyway last I knew St. Louis was going back to the idea of re-signing Shattenkirk so........and if you ask me Shattenkirk is worth more than just Kreider.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I hear ya and it's tempting but don't think that there's been a precedent for a 100 pt team to tear everything down and make the 10-15 trades it would take to execute your vision. It's just not feasible. Resign yourself to 3 years of 6-8 playoff seeding and 1st or 2nd round exits and hopefully incremental improvements. Hopefully we cycle upwards and others cycle downwards. Vague I know but As they say in DeNiro movies, it is what it is....

Agreed that management doesn't have the [MOD] to trade Lundqvist and start getting some much needed elite youth in the organization.

Another problem is the Metro and the East as a whole is getting markedly better.

Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa and Florida are elite teams and will be for the foreseeable future.

Carolina, Philadelphia and the Islanders are loaded for the future.

New Jersey, Buffalo and CBJ are on the cusp of playoff contention.

Montreal is either going to be a mess or will be a very good team if Price can return to his 2014 form.

We, on the other hand, are on the beginning of a serious downswing.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
So we should un-make it.

Orrrr a less radical, much simpler solution would be to fire AV.

It's no coincidence nearly every player on our roster had the worst season of their careers, or regressed hard. The only player I show any signs of improvement was Miller. Oh, and we had our worst playoff showing since 2006.

All those things happening at the same time?

A drastic change is needed.

I mean did you guys see Glass out there with 5 minutes left down 2 goals in Pittsburgh for Game 1?!?!?

It makes zero sense to me why NYR would even consider it, but if we are living in a world where the Rangers are moving out ALL vets -AND- interested in acquiring Shattenkirk, what would the + need to be in a McDonagh for Shattenkirk + deal where the assumption is that Shattenkirk has agreed to an extension as a condition of the trade?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It makes zero sense to me why NYR would even consider it, but if we are living in a world where the Rangers are moving out ALL vets -AND- interested in acquiring Shattenkirk, what would the + need to be in a McDonagh for Shattenkirk + deal where the assumption is that Shattenkirk has agreed to an extension as a condition of the trade?

Would rather just do McDonagh for Fabbri or Parayko.

If we're trading McD the point is to get younger, trading for Shatty is just a sideways move I meant.

So don't really have an answer to your theoretical world question.

But I don't see the add being that much of a difference maker to make it worth it.

Plus Shattenkirk would probably require a much bigger cap hit than McDonagh's sweet heart deal at 4.7 for the next 3 seasons.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Would rather just do McDonagh for Fabbri or Parayko.

If we're trading McD the point is to get younger, trading for Shatty is just a backwards move.

So don't really have an answer to your theoretical world question.

I'm sure you would! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad