Sharpening Skates... how often and what grind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffW

Apr 2, 2005
I get mine done about every 20 skates (I don't like 'em razor sharp). I get the 3/8 hollow. I tried the 1/2 but every time I lean hard on my edges I end up on my ass. 3/8 cuts a little more ice & gives me the grip to turn hard.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
As a goalie, I've been wanting my skates sharpened sharper and sharper every time. I don't know the inches hollow, the guy at the rink just uses numbers, I think they start at 9 and go into the minuses. The lower the number, the sharper the skate. When I started playing goal, I used to get my skates sharpened 3 or 4 times a year, at a 6, now I like about a 4 and a half. With that comes more sharpening. I don't like to get more than about 4 ice times on a sharpening....my skate blades are junk and get dull quick.

Perry91502

Dec 23, 2003
Having the advantage of owning a sharpener, I grind my skates at 3/8 every other time I hit the ice.

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
I seriously sharpened my skates 2 or 3 times a year. And in that year I probably player 20-30 games and then mostly weekly 3 times a month & bi-weekly 1 time a month. As for my grind I'm guessing it was always 3/8.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Dan Galvin said:
3/8 seems like a bit too much grip for me. Always felt like I was going to blow a knee when trying to stop when I first would get them done at that length.
And I did....

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I've been playing only a year so please enlighten me... what's the difference?? :dunno:

I've just checked the 1/2 box cause it was the first one.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I once went 10 months without sharpening. My blades were all rusty, too.

Flyboy34

Registered Something
Jul 7, 2003
33,000 FT
Depending on the ice quality and the time of the year, I hover between 7/8" and 1 1/4". I most often use 1". I'm a goaltender and I have the benefit of being able to sharpen my own skates.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
ive always been 1/2. ive really never known better and didnt think much about it. crazy, since ive been playing since i was five. maybe someone who really knows this stuff could give a more detailed breakdown for those who are afraid to ask.

what is the range for hollows? where is 1/2 on the overall scale? the shop i used to go to had a "check this box" list that had about 12 options. an explanation on varying the radius would also be helpful im sure. anyone want to help out?

ps i meant an explanation on the profile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->