Sharpening question

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I'm an intermediate skater. For some time I had my blades at 1/2 and after awhile it began to feel and little too "grippy" I guess. Then I have had them sharpened at 5/8 which is the next above 1/2 correct? The first few times they felt like what I was going for and now the last two they just don't feel right almost lilke they haven't been sharpened. The guy asked me last time why I would want them sharpened at 5/8 if I actually played, he mentioned a lot of refs do the 5/8. :dunno: I guess what I'm asking is 5/8 the next step in the sharpening level after 1/2? If it is then maybe I should be looking at t blades for a more consistent sharpen? Don't know, but I'm a little frustrated at the moment. Thanks

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Are you checking the blades for even edges etc etc? There is more to the grind than just what ROH. I always suggest a person find a grinder they like and make every effort to have the same person repeating your grinds.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I'm an intermediate skater. For some time I had my blades at 1/2 and after awhile it began to feel and little too "grippy" I guess. Then I have had them sharpened at 5/8 which is the next above 1/2 correct? The first few times they felt like what I was going for and now the last two they just don't feel right almost lilke they haven't been sharpened. The guy asked me last time why I would want them sharpened at 5/8 if I actually played, he mentioned a lot of refs do the 5/8. :dunno: I guess what I'm asking is 5/8 the next step in the sharpening level after 1/2? If it is then maybe I should be looking at t blades for a more consistent sharpen? Don't know, but I'm a little frustrated at the moment. Thanks

A lot of players also use 5/8. Paul Coffey used an even shallower hollow and he did pretty well.

I found that when I was using 5/8 i needed to dig in more. Also, they felt like they lost their edges quicker (luckily I worked in the shop and was able to sharpen them whenever I needed).

Were you skating on the same ice each time? If the ice is very hard it can be a little more difficult using 5/8.

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Goalies typically do 5/8, which isn't as sharp as 1/2. So your moving in the right direction if you're looking for something less "grippy".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
9/16ths would be in between 1/2 and 5/8ths.

That's what I'm currently at.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Are you checking the blades for even edges etc etc? There is more to the grind than just what ROH. I always suggest a person find a grinder they like and make every effort to have the same person repeating your grinds.

Checked my edges yesterday. They seemed ok. Also, I don't really have an choice of who I have grind. The place I go to is almost an hour away and about the only option I have. The other place where I used to get it done gave me no edge on either side the last time:biglaugh: Should have seen me go out the first time... I can laugh now,but was I pissed.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
A lot of players also use 5/8. Paul Coffey used an even shallower hollow and he did pretty well.

I found that when I was using 5/8 i needed to dig in more. Also, they felt like they lost their edges quicker (luckily I worked in the shop and was able to sharpen them whenever I needed).

Were you skating on the same ice each time? If the ice is very hard it can be a little more difficult using 5/8.
Playing at about 3 or 4 different rinks. One place is pretty soft and the other goes to the hard extreme which I played yesterday morning. I have noticed that the edge seems to go a little quicker.. Thanks

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Playing at about 3 or 4 different rinks. One place is pretty soft and the other goes to the hard extreme which I played yesterday morning. I have noticed that the edge seems to go a little quicker.. Thanks

The harder the ice is, the less you will dig in. Keep trying, you'll find a happy medium.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
A lot of todays goalies are using a combination grind. A 7/16th at the heal and toe with a 1/2" ROH along the flat. I still use the old fashioned 1" ROH. When searching for your "happy" grind it is better to start with a larger ROH and move down in 1/8" increments. WHen you hit a grind you DONT like move back up to the previous grind you did. Going up in size instead of down costs you lots of extra blade loss for each regrind.

A decent site for a skate sharpening 101 : http://noicingsports.com/skate_sharpening_radius.html

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
There's some place where you can send in your blades and have them sharpened and sent back to you if the only good place is an hour away. I know of a few people on these boards that do that...the place eludes my memory right now though. They do it cause they hate T-Blades.

VisionQuest*

Modern goaltenders use 1/2. Butterfly pushes etc require it. I always run 1/2" now. Probably the most beneficial change Ive made to my game is changing to 1/2"

I run my player skates at 3/4" and love it.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
There's some place where you can send in your blades and have them sharpened and sent back to you if the only good place is an hour away. I know of a few people on these boards that do that...the place eludes my memory right now though. They do it cause they hate T-Blades.
Man, not sure how good that would work considering I skate about 3 - 4 times a week.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Man, not sure how good that would work considering I skate about 3 - 4 times a week.

Best way to do it is to get another pair of blades for your skates. If you have Tuuks, kinda screw since you need a Tuuk wrench to get them off and it's a pain.

Kinda odd no good sharpenings in Clevland...where all the good OH hockey players come from too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad