Sharks warn San Jose downtown development may force them out

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Agreed but there are places that can give them a free facility in five years or so which is a time that the Sharks would certainly be available to move if the right deal comes along. I don't foresee that occurring. I think San Jose will get a deal done with the Sharks to keep them here but their lease is arranged to get out if it becomes necessary.

By the time 2025 comes for the locked in lease to end the arena will have been in service for 32 years. Nearly time for a new one by that time any ways.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
By the time 2025 comes for the locked in lease to end the arena will have been in service for 32 years. Nearly time for a new one by that time any ways.

Yeah but it always comes down to what the politicians are willing to do for the team. It's typically not worth the money for the city to shell out the costs of a new arena. Cities still do it obviously but I think it's becoming more difficult to pull off. Hasso is certainly rich enough to buy the land and build the arena on his own so at least they have that option but that also means he can choose wherever the hell he wants to go and other places will offer them opportunities that San Jose may not potentially. Honestly, if the city doesn't have some arrangement made for the Sharks by 2025, it's longer odds that they'll stay but I think they're still good odds. While 2025's economic climate will almost certainly be better than what it is now, it's hard to see anyone taking more risks than they have to.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah but it always comes down to what the politicians are willing to do for the team. It's typically not worth the money for the city to shell out the costs of a new arena. Cities still do it obviously but I think it's becoming more difficult to pull off. Hasso is certainly rich enough to buy the land and build the arena on his own so at least they have that option but that also means he can choose wherever the hell he wants to go and other places will offer them opportunities that San Jose may not potentially. Honestly, if the city doesn't have some arrangement made for the Sharks by 2025, it's longer odds that they'll stay but I think they're still good odds. While 2025's economic climate will almost certainly be better than what it is now, it's hard to see anyone taking more risks than they have to.

Hasso was majority owner in 2015 right? Because his deal with the city on the lease is a major win for the sharks. 10 year extension with a yearly renewal after 2025 until 2040 is a massively good deal.

Now if only the tv deal could be up already so he can negotiate that one also.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hasso was majority owner in 2015 right? Because his deal with the city on the lease is a major win for the sharks. 10 year extension with a yearly renewal after 2025 until 2040 is a massively good deal.

Now if only the tv deal could be up already so he can negotiate that one also.

Yeah, he was majority owner in 2015 and it is a good deal for the Sharks until such time as a new arena deal is made. Given that those deals potentially reach the billion dollar territory, it's a harder deal to get done. It's easy to extend in a place that is already there. It's a tougher sell to say we need a brand new place. While it's going to be 32 years for the arena by then, it's not exactly headed into disrepair anytime soon. The TV deal though still has a ways to go on that. I think that runs until 2028 and there is absolutely no incentive for NBC/Comcast to renegotiate that deal. They will see a substantial increase to that deal when it comes time but it's not happening until it expires in 8 years. They could see an increase in it in 5 years if they did move out of the region but I don't think that will be a factor in negotiations with the city. A free or heavily subsidized arena far outweighs the particulars of a TV deal.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah, he was majority owner in 2015 and it is a good deal for the Sharks until such time as a new arena deal is made. Given that those deals potentially reach the billion dollar territory, it's a harder deal to get done. It's easy to extend in a place that is already there. It's a tougher sell to say we need a brand new place. While it's going to be 32 years for the arena by then, it's not exactly headed into disrepair anytime soon. The TV deal though still has a ways to go on that. I think that runs until 2028 and there is absolutely no incentive for NBC/Comcast to renegotiate that deal. They will see a substantial increase to that deal when it comes time but it's not happening until it expires in 8 years. They could see an increase in it in 5 years if they did move out of the region but I don't think that will be a factor in negotiations with the city. A free or heavily subsidized arena far outweighs the particulars of a TV deal.

Yeah i know its still a long way to go for the tv deal, i just hope whoever is in charge of it at that time turns it from high school hockey level tv rights to nhl level tv rights.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah i know its still a long way to go for the tv deal, i just hope whoever is in charge of it at that time turns it from high school hockey level tv rights to nhl level tv rights.

I would suspect that even if Hasso delegates that negotiation on to Becher that he'd still be pretty heavily involved with it. They should be able to triple the revenue at that point but we'll see.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't actually think they need a new arena but hey that's just me ....

New arenas are not just for buildings that are falling apart. It is just a way to bring new excitement to the fans to show up at the arena.

Unless you are lucky and can get history on your side like madison square garden, then arenas become boring if there isn't something new about it. Yes this can be done via renovations like san jose did with the fish tanks recently. But that stuff adds up after a while.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
SAP is a dump compared to other arenas built around the same time. Both levels sharing the same concourse makes everything take forever and you miss tons of game time. People forget that the Tank was already designed before the Sharks existed so they had to hurry up and add things like press boxes and other things to make it fit for a NHL team. If you don't count MSG or Nassau Coliseum, SAP is tied with Honda Center as the 2nd oldest arenas in the league. Having been to both Honda and SAP, I cant believe they opened at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->