Sharks warn San Jose downtown development may force them out

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I understand your point, but if I'm the Sharks trying to force a new arena, why would I just dump hundreds of thousands of dollars in building upgrades this past summer?
That's a fair point. I suppose I didn't mean to directly compare the two situations, more that the A's have been talking about moving out of Oakland since I can remember, so I'm a little more skeptical of vague threats of relocation.

Reactions: TealTown22

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
From the maps I recall seeing, Diridon station parking will go, being replaced with buildings. That's perhaps HALF of the parking immediately adjacent to the arena. (Now perhaps they will have underground parking accessible "after hours" for SAP Center events, but still, they won't be available during construction.)

Autumn/Montgomery/Cahill/Santa Clara are the main access points to SAP Center from the south, east and west. So it those roads are CLOSED (during construction) or reduced in size that will impact traffic into and out of SAP Center.

Unless it's changed, there is no good access for ride share pick ups after events. (The one "block" so allocated is often filled with limos)

Folks from 30+ miles away are "forced" to drive to events as there are no public transportation alternatives AFTER events/games to return home.

Amtrak gets you to work in the morning, but not for evening travel to events. Amtrak (commute) heading home last train leaves almost before the event starts. (Coast Starlight NB leaves 8:30pm - only operates MWF. Coast Starlight SB leaves 10am only operating TThSa.)

CalTrain does not run south of Diridon after commute hours. So those folks are forced to drive to games/events.

As of today - no BART connection in SJ. Light rail helps with some population centers, but not all in Santa Clara county. (And nothing beyond)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
From the maps I recall seeing, Diridon station parking will go, being replaced with buildings. That's perhaps HALF of the parking immediately adjacent to the arena. (Now perhaps they will have underground parking accessible "after hours" for SAP Center events, but still, they won't be available during construction.)

Autumn/Montgomery/Cahill/Santa Clara are the main access points to SAP Center from the south, east and west. So it those roads are CLOSED (during construction) or reduced in size that will impact traffic into and out of SAP Center.

Unless it's changed, there is no good access for ride share pick ups after events. (The one "block" so allocated is often filled with limos)

Folks from 30+ miles away are "forced" to drive to events as there are no public transportation alternatives AFTER events/games to return home.

Amtrak gets you to work in the morning, but not for evening travel to events. Amtrak (commute) heading home last train leaves almost before the event starts. (Coast Starlight NB leaves 8:30pm - only operates MWF. Coast Starlight SB leaves 10am only operating TThSa.)

CalTrain does not run south of Diridon after commute hours. So those folks are forced to drive to games/events.

As of today - no BART connection in SJ. Light rail helps with some population centers, but not all in Santa Clara county. (And nothing beyond)

As someone who doesn't drive, the fact that San Jose is built around owning a car, and continues to do shit like this, is so f***ing frustrating.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
As someone who doesn't drive, the fact that San Jose is built around owning a car, and continues to do shit like this, is so f***ing frustrating.
That's why I'm hoping the Google commercial thing works out in the long run. Even though we have *some* public transit, there's not really any destinations. Whenever I've gone to Asia, every subway and train station was also in or was a huge commercial area that gave people some reason to be there other than just being a leg of the trip.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
That's why I'm hoping the Google commercial thing works out in the long run. Even though we have *some* public transit, there's not really any destinations. Whenever I've gone to Asia, every subway and train station was also in or was a huge commercial area that gave people some reason to be there other than just being a leg of the trip.
The Shinjuku Sharks would be cool

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Really would suck to build a new arena. SAP is one of the best I have been to and building a new one is a mess( coming from a guy in calgary)
I totally forgot about that. Where are they building the new arena? I drive by the Saddledome on a nearly daily basis.

OT: I'm wondering if this'll actually be a problem. Personally, it doesn't really affect me, and I've never been to San Jose.

Its only a mess because the city of calgary major and political party's are stupid. Yes the owner is rich and could afford it on his own. But that is not how new arenas work. The city will always pay something. But the city got greedy and wants way to much of the profit from the arena for what they were willing to pay.

Yep, the city is ridiculous, but I also think the owner got greedy. Both suck.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
Keep them local!

The Pleasanton Pandemics

It has an oxymoronic ring to it.
Plus they’ll be right off the BART so you’re sure to get Covid-19.
The penalty box can be quarantine.
Face off -> Mask On
5 for violating social distancing.
1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period becomes 1st wave, 2nd wave, 3rd wave.
Overtime - Ventilation
Sudden death can stay the same.
And a home team shutout is “the new normal.”

Look it writes itself people.
:sarcasm::(

Reactions: Lebanezer

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I totally forgot about that. Where are they building the new arena? I drive by the Saddledome on a nearly daily basis.

OT: I'm wondering if this'll actually be a problem. Personally, it doesn't really affect me, and I've never been to San Jose.

Yep, the city is ridiculous, but I also think the owner got greedy. Both suck.

The one deal i seen was that the flames owner would pay about 70% of the arena costs, but the city wanted like over 50% of the revenues from all non flame games.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It makes me happy knowing that so many here could've been Flames fans due to their proximity to the Saddledome, but instead choose to be Sharks fans.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Hey, I wouldn't have been a Flames fan. Alternate Universe Nem would've been a Canucks fan. *shudder*.
BRc.gif

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I wouldn't mind them moving slightly further south but that's just because I want a shorter commute

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It seems like this is kind of posturing no? I don't think the Sharks would actually leave...

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Keep them local!

The Pleasanton Pandemics

It has an oxymoronic ring to it.
Plus they’ll be right off the BART so you’re sure to get Covid-19.
The penalty box can be quarantine.
Face off -> Mask On
5 for violating social distancing.
1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period becomes 1st wave, 2nd wave, 3rd wave.
Overtime - Ventilation
Sudden death can stay the same.
And a home team shutout is “the new normal.”

Look it writes itself people.
:sarcasm::(
Would make a great replacement for the mall. Bart at your front door and the 580/680 interchange a block over

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
They're locked into the TV deal for anything bay area right? Oakland, SF, Santa Clara, SJ- does it matter?

If they can get out of that deal by moving somewhere still in the Bay, I'd understand that, but from a contract perspective, it's all the same, right?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
let’s be reality, this is just setting expectations for a move to Baltimore in 5 years

on the bright side it would solve their brutal travel disadvantage

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It will be a damn crime if this team seriously leaves San Jose.

No team is going to move from the San Francisco Bay Area, one of the wealthiest and most populous regions in the world, to some smaller, poorer market that likely wouldn't give them a free facility anyway (because they won't be able to afford it).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No team is going to move from the San Francisco Bay Area, one of the wealthiest and most populous regions in the world, to some smaller, poorer market that likely wouldn't give them a free facility anyway (because they won't be able to afford it).

Agreed but there are places that can give them a free facility in five years or so which is a time that the Sharks would certainly be available to move if the right deal comes along. I don't foresee that occurring. I think San Jose will get a deal done with the Sharks to keep them here but their lease is arranged to get out if it becomes necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad