GDT: Sharks vs Wild 7:30pm, We can finally settle who is the better team (it was the Wild)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So that's Gabriel's enforcer schtick - convince everyone else that they should be the ones fighting, not him. :sarcasm:

Although, I'm not sure why Donato is practicing this unless he wants to fight lightweights. Maybe it'd be more effective for Marchment to teach open ice hitting or something.
I forget who he wanted to fight, but Donato tried to start one with someone earlier in the year. I’m all for guys wanting to be more physical, and I’m glad it appears some want to be. Now they need to train at it.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I just don't know how long I can be bothered watching games this season.

They didn't do anything to fix the goalie situation, there was no shake up with the skaters, and the team is repeating last season.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

They didn't do anything to fix the goalie situation, there was no shake up with the skaters, and the team is repeating last season.

Basically same as the off-season where our BIG signing was John Scott, and it seemed like our GM was playing chicken with Jumbo Patty..... I did not attend a game that season. Figured if team wasn't investing in its future, it did not deserve my money (or this season, much attention). Even though DW wont admit it, ever, this is a reset season. Basically, kept everything status quo and hope for good draft picks, try again next year. (Which is not a tank, more a wait and see)

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011

Ya, not sure I am going to continue slingtv as I was only using it for Sharks games... Really on the fence.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I've been watching Sharks games like I watch The Room or Battlefield Earth.

You see, I can watch the Room because its not meant to be good. It's written, directed, produced, etc. by an inexperienced whackjob.

The Sharks should be better. If it were just bad Goaltending, it would be disheartening, but I could still watch. But I'm watching experienced forwards float around, mishandle the puck, shoot it high & wide or directly at the goalie, or just pass it directly to the opposition, I'm watching Dmen get progressively worse at positioning, etc.

The way they play, it looks like a Beer League team that have only just met on the night of a game. They have no idea what each other is doing.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
You see, I can watch the Room because its not meant to be good. It's written, directed, produced, etc. by an inexperienced whackjob.

The Sharks should be better. If it were just bad Goaltending, it would be disheartening, but I could still watch. But I'm watching experienced forwards float around, mishandle the puck, shoot it high & wide or directly at the goalie, or just pass it directly to the opposition, I'm watching Dmen get progressively worse at positioning, etc.

The way they play, it looks like a Beer League team that have only just met on the night of a game. They have no idea what each other is doing.
I mean, Tommy Wiseau wanted it to be good, and that's why it works. Reminds me of this team. They're not tanking, they're just bad.

Reactions: ChompChomp

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

That wackjob intended The Room to be good. He's just crazy.

Our wackjob? Knowing we had a flat cap, bad contracts, and the expansion draft this summer, decided it was a reset year but maintains publicly it is not.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I mean, Tommy Wiseau wanted it to be good, and that's why it works. Reminds me of this team. They're not tanking, they're just bad.

That wackjob intended The Room to be good. He's just crazy.

Our wackjob? Knowing we had a flat cap, bad contracts, and the expansion draft this summer, decided it was a reset year but maintains publicly it is not.

My point it was a random with no experience, and a cast and crew with no experience.

The Sharks equivalent would be for Spielberg to direct a film, with an all-star cast, and it turn out to be an absolute dumpster fire.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm at the point where I don't think I want to watch anymore games also.

Will look into the AHL pass to watch the Barracuda though.

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
After the Wild made it 3-1 I turned it off. There are too many broken plays, missed passes, turnovers, odd man rushes against, shots from the point missed or blocked for it to be entertaining.

Makes you realize how nice it was to settle in every night from 2005 to 2019 knowing you were likely going to see some pretty damn good hockey

Reactions: BigDmitriy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Former voluble poster SJeasy had a theory that I think is worth revisiting.

Basically, he argued that Sharks were too used to winning games simply because Joe Thornton (and sometimes Evgeni Nabokov) would show up. When that player fell apart in the playoffs, the players would stand around waiting for someone else to make magic happen.

There's merit to applying that idea to the recent foibles in the regular season. The culture hasn't adjusted to not having a Thornton, Pavelski, Niemi, Burns, or Karlsson to just take over games.

Complicating any change to a more balanced, production-by-committee approached will be hindered by the salary structure.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
After the Wild made it 3-1 I turned it off. There are too many broken plays, missed passes, turnovers, odd man rushes against, shots from the point missed or blocked for it to be entertaining.

Makes you realize how nice it was to settle in every night from 2005 to 2019 knowing you were likely going to see some pretty damn good hockey

What makes it worse, is the coverage doesn't even acknowledge what's going on. Minnesota just scored lucky goals, whilst the Sharks had no luck. Or continuing with this idea it's too early to tell what kind of team the Sharks have. It'd be nice to have broadcasters actually call the reality of the situation, instead of offering platitudes or concluding a player 'just needs to shoot more' to be better.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Former voluble poster SJeasy had a theory that I think is worth revisiting.

Basically, he argued that Sharks were too used to winning games simply because Joe Thornton (and sometimes Evgeni Nabokov) would show up. When that player fell apart in the playoffs, the players would stand around waiting for someone else to make magic happen.

There's merit to applying that idea to the recent foibles in the regular season. The culture hasn't adjusted to not having a Thornton, Pavelski, Niemi, Burns, or Karlsson to just take over games.

Complicating any change to a more balanced, production-by-committee approached will be hindered by the salary structure.

They kind of need to adopt the post-bread/Bob Blue Jackets game plan of winning by committee and buying into a set philosophy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
They kind of need to adopt the post-bread/Bob Blue Jackets game plan of winning by committee and buying into a set philosophy

Agreed, but as mentioned the salary structure makes it difficult. IIRC, Colombus's highest-paid defenseman and forward are Seth Jones and Nick Foligno. Neither player has a cap hit over 6 million. They have many "middle-weight" players on their roster.

Compare that to the Sharks. A top-heavy salary team needs to distribute responsibilities in the same way.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What makes it worse, is the coverage doesn't even acknowledge what's going on. Minnesota just scored lucky goals, whilst the Sharks had no luck. Or continuing with this idea it's too early to tell what kind of team the Sharks have. It'd be nice to have broadcasters actually call the reality of the situation, instead of offering platitudes or concluding a player 'just needs to shoot more' to be better.
The advanced stat show that Minn was indeed "lucky" to have scored more goals than the Sharks in that game. Sharks had more shots, more high danger scoring chances etc... Jones sucked and the team tipped a couple by him. It's one of those games. That's the reality of it.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The advanced stat show that Minn was indeed "lucky" to have scored more goals than the Sharks in that game. Sharks had more shots, more high danger scoring chances etc... Jones sucked and the team tipped a couple by him. It's one of those games. That's the reality of it.

The fact that an NHL team started a goaltender with an .877 save % (and who had an .896 save % the last two seasons, and who the team considers its #1 goaltender) suggest that the Sharks bad luck is a product of its own doing.

Reactions: landshark and Cas

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The reality is we have alot of those games. We had alot of those games 2 years ago but we outscored all of our problems. We are 24th in goals per game and 30th in goals against per game. Without at least one of those improving significantly this team isn't going anywhere.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I miss Joe Thornton. Specifically, 2016 Joe Thornton. This sucks.

I watched that leafs-Canadiens game last week and he looked pretty damn good with Matthews and Marner. Granted those 2 can probably make anyone look good, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that he wasn't a complete boat anchor there and was actually producing. 9 points in 9 games is pretty damn good for a 41 year old who just had 2 major surgeries on both knees.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The fact that an NHL team started a goaltender with an .877 save % (and who had an .896 save % the last two seasons, and who the team considers its #1 goaltender) suggest that the Sharks bad luck is a product of its own doing.
That's fair but after his previous couple games I understand why they started him. The really weird part is that Jones record is above .500. 6-5-1. The goalie with the better actual goalie stats is 1-3-1. That is just some bizarre shit.
The reality is we have alot of those games. We had alot of those games 2 years ago but we outscored all of our problems. We are 24th in goals per game and 30th in goals against per game. Without at least one of those improving significantly this team isn't going anywhere.
I don't disagree. But that's a comment about the season not the game. I'm simply talking about the game. Better goaltending and that game maybe goes to OT or the Sharks win outright.

Last edited:

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
That's fair but after his previous couple games I understand why they started him. The really weird part is that Jones record is above .500. 6-5-1. The goalie with the better actually goalie stats is 1-3-1. That is just some bizarre shit.

I don't disagree. But that's a comment about the season not the game. I'm simply talking about the game. Better goaltending and that game maybe goes to OT or the Sharks win outright.
You ain't wrong. That game was winnable and back and forth all night. The wild just have an actual goalie on their roster and not a clown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad