GDT: Sharks Vs. Predators 7:30PM PST

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Since most people (in the media and hopefully GM's) don't know that he's terrible now, I'm hoping he can be unloaded for the final year of his deal. Since his salary isn't bad and he's still living off a reputation and has only a year left, I think he can be traded. The question is whether Doug wants to trade him or not and I think he should, if not just to dump cap.

Sounds like a call needs to be made to Dorion after the season. He loves BAD Sharks players over there. He's already got DeMelo and Boedker. See if he can take out one last piece of trash for us.
Doug was supposedly shopping Braun at the deadline.

Reactions: Bleedred

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Vlasic, Couture, and Jones sure have been great all season. It’s a good thing we’ve got them next season at $20.75M to help us with our impending cap crunch, and it’s a great thing we’ve also made sure to extend Peter DeBoer!
Vlasic and Jones will obviously be given a chance to bounce back because they’re basically immovable and have “earned” that right. As for Couture, I still cannot understand his thinking when he thought he needed to bulk up for this season. He has to work exclusively on maintaining his quickness and speed. Brute strength is not a part of his game.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Whoops, shouldn't have written Preds there...my bad.

It’s okay, I just feel the need to pump the tires of those guys and what they did in those playoffs. The 2016 Predators aren’t very similar to the 2019 Predators anyhow. Sven in a down year, Subban showed tonight that he is so much better than Weber was at that point. There are other areas where their team has improved as well.

I agree with the gist of your post. This team has spurts of forcing point shots for an entire game and getting most of them blocked. The Burns point shot system is not dangerous anymore and I worry that a strong tactician behind an enemy bench could easily neuter our offense for 4 out of 7 games if the offense isn’t able to adapt.

At 5-on-5, Burns and Karlsson are 1st and 2nd among defensemen in individual shot attempts per 60. Yet they’re 89th and 162nd in goals per 60. This season, their shooting is not working; they are just not dangerous shooters from the point.

Karlsson is shooting way more than he ever has; he’s taking over 19 shot attempts per 60 and he previously hovered around 13-15 in every full season. Burns has cut his rate down to 19.5 when it was above 21.5 in the past two seasons but it’s still too high. Burns is 4th in league assists and Karlsson has finished 1st in the past. Burns showed exactly what his playmaking abilities are tonight on Thornton’s goal. The coaching staff needs to emphasize Burns pushing the play down low and creating offense through playmaking. When Karlsson gets back, the same must be done with him. That will prevent games like tonight from happening frequently.

Hertl and Meier have consistently shown up in these kinds of games and created a lot of offense, even when the team has struggled. That is very encouraging and makes me more optimistic about them as our guys up front going forward.

Speaking of Meier; not only does he have 60 points, but he has 50 even strength points in only 69 games. That even strength production is already 11th in franchise history. Thornton has scored over 50 ESP 8 times and holds the franchise record with 60 in 2006-2007. Marleau and Heatley with 54 and 51 in 2009-2010 are the only other Sharks to score over 50 even strength points. Hertl also has 49 in 67 games; both of them could potentially break a franchise record this season or next season if they play together.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It’s okay, I just feel the need to pump the tires of those guys and what they did in those playoffs. The 2016 Predators aren’t very similar to the 2019 Predators anyhow. Sven in a down year, Subban showed tonight that he is so much better than Weber was at that point. There are other areas where their team has improved as well.

I agree with the gist of your post. This team has spurts of forcing point shots for an entire game and getting most of them blocked. The Burns point shot system is not dangerous anymore and I worry that a strong tactician behind an enemy bench could easily neuter our offense for 4 out of 7 games if the offense isn’t able to adapt.

At 5-on-5, Burns and Karlsson are 1st and 2nd among defensemen in individual shot attempts per 60. Yet they’re 89th and 162nd in goals per 60. This season, their shooting is not working; they are just not dangerous shooters from the point.

Karlsson is shooting way more than he ever has; he’s taking over 19 shot attempts per 60 and he previously hovered around 13-15 in every full season. Burns has cut his rate down to 19.5 when it was above 21.5 in the past two seasons but it’s still too high. Burns is 4th in league assists and Karlsson has finished 1st in the past. Burns showed exactly what his playmaking abilities are tonight on Thornton’s goal. The coaching staff needs to emphasize Burns pushing the play down low and creating offense through playmaking. When Karlsson gets back, the same must be done with him. That will prevent games like tonight from happening frequently.

Hertl and Meier have consistently shown up in these kinds of games and created a lot of offense, even when the team has struggled. That is very encouraging and makes me more optimistic about them as our guys up front going forward.

Speaking of Meier; not only does he have 60 points, but he has 50 even strength points in only 69 games. That even strength production is already 11th in franchise history. Thornton has scored over 50 ESP 8 times and holds the franchise record with 60 in 2006-2007. Marleau and Heatley with 54 and 51 in 2009-2010 are the only other Sharks to score over 50 even strength points. Hertl also has 49 in 67 games; both of them could potentially break a franchise record this season or next season if they play together.

Pretty much agree w/ all this. And wow, those EV #s are wild. They looked very good today as did Kane and Nyquist. That's a very good top line.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pretty much agree w/ all this. And wow, those EV #s are wild. They looked very good today as did Kane and Nyquist. That's a very good top line.

The thing about the even strength numbers is this is a way higher scoring league at even strength. Meier is 26th in the league and Hertl is 28th in even strength points. Thornton was 9th, Marleau was 15th, and Heatley was 19th.

Kind of like last year’s Sharks setting a franchise record for even strength goals when they were 15th in the league lol.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Was flying during the game, can I request an objective summary?

giphy.gif

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Was flying during the game, can I request an objective summary?

Sharks controlled the play to a certain degree but most of their offense was cycling into point shots that mostly got blocked or missed the net. Nashville was opportunistic and created opportunities off of turnovers and kept the Sharks to the outside Martin Jones looked very bad on the 3rd goal but it’s fair to ask how much the goal was truly his fault and whether or not he could stop it. That goal is worth watching if nothing else because it’s probably the biggest point of contention and debate. Hertl and Meier looked good and it was a mixed bag from everybody else.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
There better be some method to this madness, is all I'm saying. The 4th line being a potential mismatch but at least a match is super important to this team that lacks a super studly scoring 1st line.

We need to maximize our scoring depth and not apologize one bit for it.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

What is Burns and EK65's assist rate? Doesn't matter as much what their goal rate is when the forward are scoring the way they are. I think that has to have something to do with those point shots creating tip and rebound opportunities right?

Unrelated but I wanted to say that after rewatching Meiers "diving" penalty I'm convinced he has a reputation. He gets that call more than any other Shark I can remember for a long time. There is no way that was a dive. He got forced off balance by the D-mans leg which caused him to fall. Total BS.

Sharks controlled the play to a certain degree but most of their offense was cycling into point shots that mostly got blocked or missed the net. Nashville was opportunistic and created opportunities off of turnovers and kept the Sharks to the outside Martin Jones looked very bad on the 3rd goal but it’s fair to ask how much the goal was truly his fault and whether or not he could stop it. That goal is worth watching if nothing else because it’s probably the biggest point of contention and debate. Hertl and Meier looked good and it was a mixed bag from everybody else.
I thought Kane looked really good especially considering the layoff. That line with him, Hertl and Nyquist is going to be dangerous if they get in sync. Best Nyqvist looked so far IMO the way he battled on the boards and was flying thru the neutral zone.

Vlasic and Jones will obviously be given a chance to bounce back because they’re basically immovable and have “earned” that right. As for Couture, I still cannot understand his thinking when he thought he needed to bulk up for this season. He has to work exclusively on maintaining his quickness and speed. Brute strength is not a part of his game.

They don't bulk up because they're trying to be brutes. They lose a ton of weight, typically muscle thru the season due to the playing schedule and the fact they can't work out and lift the same way they do in the offseason. Having bulk helps their body survive the physicality of a hitting game. Harder to separate your shoulder if those muscles are bigger than typical. They also work on their traps to minimize whiplash and concussions from hits. With Couture I'm not sure if he's slower because he's bulkier or if it's simply because the team in general is faster than it has been and he appears to be slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Just watched the Thornton goal. Man those are some special players. The hands on those guys! And Thornton is like the only guy that can actually catch and tame down a Burns bullet pass.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Burns point shot system is not dangerous anymore and I worry that a strong tactician behind an enemy bench could easily neuter our offense for 4 out of 7 games if the offense isn’t able to adapt.

It's not so much the guy(s) behind the bench. This year's team has a ton of versatility. I have more confidence than ever that they can adapt. I do think that the return to the point-shot system in this game was due to it being available and Nashville dominating down low.

Reinforces the idea that Meier is a better player now than Marleau ever was.

Regarding Meier's reputation as a diver, the ref had no choice. A Swiss-on-Swiss penalty had to result in a neutral effect.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Sharks better be careful or Vegas might catch them. If Vegas beats the Oilers on Sunday and us on Monday(in regulation) they will only be 5 points back with the same amount of games and still one head to head game remaining.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Thanks man. I'll catch the condensed game. I watched the first goal and was disappointed Meier stopped skating, was hoping that was not indicative of the game as a whole

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
i wish i got to see the evolution of brent burns into an elite defenceman.

cuz damn what an incredible player holy

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

Slept after I got home, watched it this morning.

No SNOG.

SNOGLossFail.JPG

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 3 vs DucksnoneDucks 5-2
2Oct. 5 at KingsPackShark, HOOCH2173, Herschel, Ol Dirty PirateSharks 3-2 OT
3Oct. 8 at IslandersnoneIslanders 4-0
4Oct. 9 at FlyersnoneSharks 8-2
5Oct. 11 at RangersnoneRangers 3-2 OT
6Oct. 14 at DevilsnoneDevils 3-2
7Oct. 18 vs SabresfasterthanlightSharks 5-1
8Oct. 20 vs IslandersBaileyMacTavish, Kcoyote3Sharks 4-1
9Oct. 23 at PredatorsnoneSharks 5-4
10Oct. 26 at HurricanesnoneHurricanes 4-3 SO
11Oct. 28 at DucksnoneSharks 4-3 OT
12Oct. 30 vs RangersnoneRangers 4-3 SO
13Nov. 1 vs Blue JacketsnoneBlue Jackets 4-1
14Nov. 3 vs Flyersrangerssharks414Sharks 4-3 OT
15Nov. 6 vs WildFeedingFrenzySharks 4-3
16Nov. 8 at StarsnoneStars 4-3
17Nov. 9 at BluesnoneBlues 4-0
18Nov. 11 vs FlamesnoneSharks 3-1
19Nov. 13 vs PredatorsnoneSharks 5-4
20Nov. 15 vs Maple LeafsnoneMaple Leafs 5-3
21Nov. 17 vs BluesnoneSharks 4-0
22Nov. 20 vs OilersnoneOilers 4-3 OT
23Nov. 23 vs CanucksnoneSharks 4-0
24Nov. 24 at Golden KnightsnoneVegas 6-0
25Nov. 27 at SabresSFtoBostonSabres 3-2 OT
26Nov. 28 at Maple LeafsnoneMaple Leafs 5-3
27Dec. 1 at SenatorsnoneSenators 6-2
28Dec. 2 at CanadiensnoneSharks 3-1
29Dec. 5 vs HurricanesnoneSharks 5-1
30Dec. 7 at StarsSJSharksfan39Stars 3-2
31Dec. 8 at CoyotesSJSharksfan39Sharks 5-3
32Dec. 10 vs DevilsBizz, Tkachuk4MVPSharks 5-2
33Dec. 13 vs StarsHOOCH2173, InsigniaSharks 3-2
34Dec. 16 at BlackhawksnoneSharks 7-3
35Dec. 18 at WildnoneSharks 4-0
36Dec. 20 vs JetsnoneJets 5-3
37Dec. 22 vs KingsnoneKings 3-2 OT
38Dec. 23 vs CoyotesnoneCoyotes 4-3 SO
39Dec. 27 vs Duckssocalsharksfan, Nolan11Sharks 4-2
40Dec. 29 at OilersnoneSharks 7-4
41Dec. 31 at FlamesnoneFlames 8-5
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Second Half SNOG Results:

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
42Jan. 2 at AvalanchenoneSharks 5-4
43Jan. 5 vs LightningnoneSharks 5-2
44Jan. 7 vs Kingssocalsharksfan, seroesSharks 3-1
45Jan. 8 vs OilersnoneSharks 7-2
46Jan. 10 at Golden KnightsHOOCH2173Sharks 3-2
47Jan. 12 vs SenatorsInsigniaSharks 4-1
48Jan. 15 vs Penguinsgaucholoco3Sharks 5-2
49Jan. 16 at CoyotesnoneCoyotes 6-3
50Jan. 19 at LightningnoneLightning 6-3
51Jan. 21 at PanthersnonePanthers 6-2
52Jan. 22 at CapitalsnoneSharks 7-6 OT
53Feb. 2 vs CoyotesLA SharkSharks 3-2 OT
54Feb. 5 at JetsHOOCH2173, socalsharksfanSharks 3-2 OT
55Feb. 7 at FlamesTheUndertow40Six2Sharks 5-2
56Feb. 9 at OilersundercovernerdSharks 5-2
57Feb. 11 at CanucksnoneSharks 7-2
58Feb. 14 vs CapitalsnoneCapitals 5-1
59Feb. 16 vs CanucksnoneSharks 3-2
60Feb. 18 vs BruinsnoneBruins 6-5 OT
61Feb. 21 at PenguinsBizzSharks 4-0
62Feb. 23 at Blue JacketsnoneBlue Jackets 4-0
63Feb. 24 at Red WingsLA SharkSharks 5-3
64Feb. 26 at BruinsnoneBruins 4-1
65Mar. 1 vs AvalancheLA SharkSharks 4-3
66Mar. 3 vs BlackhawksSharksFan17, nerdybeardSharks 5-2
67Mar. 7 vs CanadiensRonnie Residue, undercovernerdSharks 5-2
68Mar. 9 vs BluesSFtoBostonSharks 3-2 OT
69Mar. 11 at WildnoneSharks 3-0
70Mar. 12 at JetsInsigniaSharks 5-4
71Mar. 14 vs PanthersnonePanthers 4-2
72Mar. 16 vs PredatorsnonePredators 4-2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2018-19 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.HOOCH21734
T-2.Insignia, LA Shark, socalsharksfan3
T-5.Bizz, SFtoBoston, SJSharksfan39, undercovernerd2
T-9.BaileyMacTavish, fasterthanlight, FeedingFrenzy, gaucholoco3, Herschel, Kcoyote3, nerdybeard, Nolan11, Ol Dirty Pirate, PackShark, rangerssharks414, Ronnie Residue, seroes, SFtoBoston, SharksFan17, TheUndertow40Six2, Tkachuk4MVP1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad