GDT: Sharks vs Kings not at 8pm (7:30pm) Vlasic out, Simek GTD, Melker Milestone

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Let's be fair; there were a couple of defensive breakdowns and slip-ups in this game. Jones was really up to the task and made some nice saves (even if no real "big" saves) that he hasn't been making as much this season.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Solid win. A shame Vegas and Calgary refuse to lose.

So the Sharks are the playing the McDavids tomorrow without Vlasic and Braun. Deboer must be devastated he doesn't have his trusty "shutdown pairing" tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see who he trusts against McDavid.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Uh.. yes dude. Kane doesn't require Hertl to carry the mail the way Couture does and Donkey has been looking great weaving thru the neutral zone since being put with Hertl. They open up space for each other is a very appropriate response from PDB. Man you guys and your hate of Kane... it's really gone off the deep end.
You take things way too far in your responses. It was a sarcastic post.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Disagree.

Braun is being undervalued. He is an experienced middle-pairing defenseman who is solid defensively and can chip in some points. He is the kind of players teams love to have. His contract is very reasonable.

Vlasic is having a very rough season but was fine before that. His issues do not appear to be physical; it is all mental and/or has to do with his deployment. Any team trading for him has a chance at getting a steal; in fact, I'd argue that if the Sharks traded Vlasic it could look like the Kiprusoff trade down the road.

So they’d make a trade because it was in their best interest to trade said player and get max value in return while turning that value into a player that has put in a dozen years with the club? I’m down for another Kiprusoff trade because it was a good deal.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
So they’d make a trade because it was in their best interest to trade said player and get max value in return while turning that value into a player that has put in a dozen years with the club? I’m down for another Kiprusoff trade because it was a good deal.

The fact is we don't need 3 #1 d-men (at least not 3 guys paid like #1 d-men) and Vlasic is significantly less valuable than Burns or Karlsson. Since Vlasic can't pair well with either of them, it makes him the odd man out. Plus with his attitude issues, it kind of just feals like the guy needs a change of scenery.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think now that he's jiving with the team, he'll probably re-sign. Will hate him like Campbell if he signs somewhere else for cheap.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The fact is we don't need 3 #1 d-men (at least not 3 guys paid like #1 d-men) and Vlasic is significantly less valuable than Burns or Karlsson. Since Vlasic can't pair well with either of them, it makes him the odd man out. Plus with his attitude issues, it kind of just feals like the guy needs a change of scenery.

I can't say one way or the other on his attitude and how it relates to the rest of the team. I would understand the desire to deal him due to how poorly he has played the past few seasons but I just don't see it happening with his contract having a full no-move clause for the first five seasons.

Reactions: mooncalf

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
hes just not going anywhere unless hes asked to be moved. Maybe he has and thats why he seems so pissy.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
That's ironic to call a potential Vlasic trade a Kiprusoff part 2, wouldn't you say?

Anyhow, I;d even be willing to retain $1.5M if we had to trade Vlasic to fit in EK, Pavs and possibly another top 6? Heck, I may even be fine trading Vlasic (w that amount retained) just to free up cap. We don't need a $7M dman playing on our 3rd pairing who's lost his effectiveness at being a shutdown dman.

Seeing the young kids retrieve and move the puck so quickly out of the zone is eye opening.

Reactions: Bleedred

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's ironic to call a potential Vlasic trade a Kiprusoff part 2, wouldn't you say?

Anyhow, I;d even be willing to retain $1.5M if we had to trade Vlasic to fit in EK, Pavs and possibly another top 6? Heck, I may even be fine trading Vlasic (w that amount retained) just to free up cap. We don't need a $7M dman playing on our 3rd pairing who's lost his effectiveness at being a shutdown dman.

Seeing the young kids retrieve and move the puck so quickly out of the zone is eye opening.

If he wants to go to Montreal after this season, I'm not opposed to acquiescing to his desires. It's probably in both side's best interests. Sharks get out from under a contract he's likely not going to fulfill adequately relative to the expectations here (sometimes players just reach that point) and Vlasic gets to go back home and reinvigorate his professional wants on a team that is getting more competitive. I don't know what a trade would look like given the parameters as I think it would restrict the Sharks from getting good value but if they can get a couple draft picks and possibly dump Melker with him while not taking back someone like Alzner or Shaw then I'd be happy with it.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
If he wants to go to Montreal after this season, I'm not opposed to acquiescing to his desires. It's probably in both side's best interests. Sharks get out from under a contract he's likely not going to fulfill adequately relative to the expectations here (sometimes players just reach that point) and Vlasic gets to go back home and reinvigorate his professional wants on a team that is getting more competitive. I don't know what a trade would look like given the parameters as I think it would restrict the Sharks from getting good value but if they can get a couple draft picks and possibly dump Melker with him while not taking back someone like Alzner or Shaw then I'd be happy with it.
This is the only realistic trade I see happening short of Vlasic somehow getting pissed and wanting to leave to anywhere. I don't think Wilson would ever ask him to waive and I don't see why Vlasic would ask to be moved unless they relegate him to a 3rd line role and take away all his minutes which PDB will never do.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You take things way too far in your responses. It was a sarcastic post.
Dude... ever seen these things...? :sarcasm: :naughty::D:popcorn: They're called emoji's... people use them to convey tone or emotion when posting online. With out them whatever you write appears to be serious in nature. Guess what this one, :sarcasm:, means... One guess. :naughty::laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Disagree.

Braun is being undervalued. He is an experienced middle-pairing defenseman who is solid defensively and can chip in some points. He is the kind of players teams love to have. His contract is very reasonable.

Vlasic is having a very rough season but was fine before that. His issues do not appear to be physical; it is all mental and/or has to do with his deployment. Any team trading for him has a chance at getting a steal; in fact, I'd argue that if the Sharks traded Vlasic it could look like the Kiprusoff trade down the road.
I would say at this point, Braun should probably be a bottom pairing defenseman. He'd probably be competent or at least not terrible if he were. I can think of worse bottom pairing guys around the league than Braun. Top 4 minutes for Braun is something that he's really not capable of anymore. But because his contract only has a year left and his salary isn't that bad, I figure he's not immovable. I think they look to move him in the offseason if he's gonna be moved at all.

As far as the Vlasic/Kiprusoff comparison, Vlasic is a very high mileage 31 year old (turning 32 before the end of the regular season) that's played his best hockey. I don't think it's really a stretch to say that any 31 year old has likely played his best hockey, though you can probably point to a few exceptions. I think Vlasic looked not very good the last two years, but he's been on a whole other level of bad this year. There's a good chance he's not THAT bad like he's been this year, but even the Vlasic of the last two years is a very poor contract for the term and dollars he's paid.

Kiprusoff was a 27 year old goalie that was still very unknown, but didn't look like anything special over his 47 games as a Shark. At the end of the day though, I don't think it was a mistake to trade Kiprusoff and keep Nabokov. Nabokov was only about a year older and already had a couple really good seasons as a starter by that point. I don't really see much of a difference between these two goalies as far as who was better. If Kiprusoff was better, it wasn't by much. Kiprusoff's better seasons were better than Nabokov's, but he had more mediocre years than Nabokov, at least while Nabokov was still on the Sharks and Kipper was still on the Flames. Kiprusoff was actually wildly inconsistent from year to year. His play fluctuated very drastically some years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately, I expect the NHL to lock out again, at least for a half season in 2020-2021. Especially after they pushed Seattle's start to 2021-2022, when it initially looked like it was gonna be in 2020-2021. Between that and the Key Arena not being on track to be ready until November 2020, a month after the season begins, I think we'll probably be seeing another half season lockout.

The good news is that if the cap is lowered, I think we'll see each team handed at least one amnesty buyout and I think it would be wise to use one on Vlasic at that point. Even if he plays competently over the next 1.5 years or 2 combined years, say the amnesty buyouts aren't used until Summer of 2021. Vlasic will be 34 years old at that point and still signed for 5 more years. Notice I say if he plays ''Competently'' and not if he plays like the Vlasic of old. If he somehow on the off-chance plays like the Vlasic of old, maybe I'd consider keeping him, but he'd need to play like that for consecutive seasons before I wouldn't think it was just an anomaly or an ''Up year''.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
So the Sharks are the playing the McDavids tomorrow without Vlasic and Braun. Deboer must be devastated he doesn't have his trusty "shutdown pairing" tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see who he trusts against McDavid.

Did Pete face roughly the same with Kucherov? I thought he used EK65 against him.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The good news is that if the cap is lowered, I think we'll see each team handed at least one amnesty buyout and I think it would be wise to use one on Vlasic at that point.

Does the rules allow to buyout a player with a NMC? I don't remember, but I vaguely seem to think so.

I tend to agree about a potential lockout. The players definitely signaled they willing to fight in hiring Fehr.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Nice win last night.
It goes to show the depth our team has. This way, Pickles and Brawny don’t NEED to be back before they’re ready.
I know it’s nearly every posters want that Vlasic be traded but it’s not beyond any reasoning that he can turn it around. He was doing just that over the last half dozen games.
He would be a boon come the playoffs if he’s on all cylinders by then. Why not hope for him to return to that level? Yes, I know some of you will take me to task that he’s been declining since 2016, no doubt you have all kinds of numbers to show it.
Reality is, even if he’s not at the level of 2016, he’s still one of the premier defenseman in the league, let him get back just the way Burns did last year.

Go Sharks!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Does the rules allow to buyout a player with a NMC? I don't remember, but I vaguely seem to think so.

I tend to agree about a potential lockout. The players definitely signaled they willing to fight in hiring Fehr.

Buyouts can be done to any one. With any amount of money or clause left on it.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->