GDT: Sharks vs Coyotes 7:30pm Melnichuk starts

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Melnichuk was terrible. Terrible.

it’s almost like he came into our lives to show us that a goalie not named Martin Jones could actually provide the team’s worst goaltended game of the season.

Every goal other than the fourth one was stoppable at best and downright pathetic at worst.

Reactions: Alwalys

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

it’s almost like he came into our lives to show us that a goalie not named Martin Jones could actually provide the team’s worst goaltended game of the season.

Every goal other than the fourth one was stoppable at best and downright pathetic at worst.
Let's give the rook a small break in his first game during the tank portion of the season. But yeah it wasn't pretty.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

I think you're being a bit harsh. He wasn't great, but Jones is still the worst goalie in the organisation.

The first Dvorak goal was bar down from the slot. Not much he could do. The Jenik goal he was in solid position, even tried to move his head to stop it (unlike Jones who has routinely ducked his head out of the way).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think you're being a bit harsh. He wasn't great, but Jones is still the worst goalie in the organisation.

The first Dvorak goal was bar down from the slot. Not much he could do. The Jenik goal he was in solid position, even tried to move his head to stop it (unlike Jones who has routinely ducked his head out of the way).
Eh

I think it’s still too early to say that Jones is the worst goalie in the organization. And not due to Jones as much as it’s due to not having a large enough sample size on the other goalies. Especially not at the NHL level yet. Melnichuk’s 17 games in the AHL this year have been horrible. .868% save percentage is pretty amazingly bad. He has a solid KHL resume to his credit and his North American career is still just 19 games in, but he’s far from proving that he’s better than Jones.

This is Korenar’s third year in North America and his 75 AHL games have been mediocre at best.

We KNOW Martin Jones is no longer an NHL caliber goalie. Three straight years of horrifying goaltending, which spans over 150 games at this point, is more than enough proof and sample size of that. His save percentage over that span, including the 2019 playoffs isn’t even .900%. He’s been .896% for three straight regular seasons now.

We know Jones is astronomically bad, but what we don’t know is if Korenar and Melnichuk are NHL caliber or not.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Eh

I think it’s still too early to say that Jones is the worst goalie in the organization. And not due to Jones as much as it’s due to not having a large enough sample size on the other goalies. Especially not at the NHL level yet. Melnichuk’s 17 games in the AHL this year have been horrible. .868% save percentage is pretty amazingly bad. He has a solid KHL resume to his credit and his North American career is still just 19 games in, but he’s far from proving that he’s better than Jones.

This is Korenar’s third year in North America and his 75 AHL games have been mediocre at best.

We KNOW Martin Jones is no longer an NHL caliber goalie. Three straight years of horrifying goaltending, which spans over 150 games at this point, is more than enough proof and sample size of that. His save percentage over that span, including the 2019 playoffs isn’t even .900%. He’s been .896% for three straight regular seasons now.

We know Jones is astronomically bad, but what we don’t know is if Korenar and Melnichuk are NHL caliber or not.
Think they should just roll six skaters full time against Vegas on Wednesday? I mean, it is usually fan appreciation night on the last home game of the year. If they want to show the fans a good time they'd not start any of the goalies they've used all year. Must see TV right there.

:sarcasm:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Eh

Korenar and Melnichuk both need another year in the AHL, at the very least. DW is going to be tasked with picking up 2 goalies this offseason if he wants to get back to respectability and keep his job beyond next season. I would expect a Jones buyout and 2 new goalies brought in this offseason if I were betting on it. Neither Korenar nor Melnichuk are ready to start 25 games next season in the NHL as a backup.

Reactions: Bleedred

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Think they should just roll six skaters full time against Vegas on Wednesday? I mean, it is usually fan appreciation night on the last home game of the year. If they want to show the fans a good time they'd not start any of the goalies they've used all year. Must see TV right there.

:sarcasm:

Kurtis Gabriel is the only player who can save the final game. But, the adrenaline boost his antics bring might endanger the loss. ;)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Korenar and Melnichuk both need another year in the AHL, at the very least. DW is going to be tasked with picking up 2 goalies this offseason if he wants to get back to respectability and keep his job beyond next season. I would expect a Jones buyout and 2 new goalies brought in this offseason if I were betting on it. Neither Korenar nor Melnichuk are ready to start 25 games next season in the NHL as a backup.

If they’re competing then a buyout seems likely. If they’re rebuilding or refreshing, they’d be better off just burying him. They have enough cap space to bring in a goalie and shouldn’t worry much if Korenar or Melnichuk are ready and just give them the starts anyway.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Eh

The only difference is Korenar and Melnichuk still have the chance to develop and become NHL caliber. Jones is not getting any better.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Korenar showed enough to be in the NHL. He needs to be a little bit more consistent over the course of a game though.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I think Korenar showed enough to be in the NHL. He needs to be a little bit more consistent over the course of a game though.
Same. I like that he battles, and he's seemed to improve in the starts he's been given. Hopefully with a little more seasoning he can develop a slightly calmer presence in the net and not go swimming as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->