GDT: Sharks vs. Capitals 7:00 EST Verizon Center

Burakovsky95*

At the moment why mess with anything other than maybe moving Green up? Laich has been fine and I expect that line to lose possession battles because they're constantly deployed against the Crosby's and Tavares' of the NHL.

Johansson has done nothing to warrant a demotion and that 2nd line has been very good 5v5. It's not Kuznetsov's fault that really the entire team has yet to have a bad game other than Carlson. He'll get his minutes in due time.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
At the same time, its obvious Trotz didn't like what Laich brought to the 3rd line as a center.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm generally neutral on Laich, but the 3rd line isn't doing anything in the O zone right now and he's the only variable that I'm aware of.

Also, NBTW is on crack if he thinks Kuzya wouldn't thrive in that spot. He's an excellent playmaker whose game is tailor made to mesh with shooting puck retrievers. Plus, as has been thoroughly discussed, everyone other than 21 has done well between Ward and Chimmer.

I'm joining the "you're insane" camp. ;)

He would get eaten alive in a 3rd line checking role.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
At the same time, its obvious Trotz didn't like what Laich brought to the 3rd line as a center.

I don't think it's obvious that's the case at all. Could be said that it's obvious he wants more on the 1st line and Fehr aside from physicality wasn't cutting it as the 1RW. Lots of assumptions to be made, maybe none accurate.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Preseason? Really? You're basing your assessment of his defensive play on a few preseason games, when I don't think he's been on the ice for a goal against in the real games, and is +1?

Under some pretty heavy sheltering if you ask me. Put him out against the opposition top line every shift and it would be pretty ugly IMO.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Well, he kept his "pairs" together. 8-19, 90-65, 25-42.

Speaking of 90, how is it that I'm always completely opposite the majority on this board regarding his play? Last year you all thought he was gawful and I supported him, and this year I see a lot of people think he's been good but I don't like what I've seen so far. Zany.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't think it's obvious that's the case at all. Could be said that it's obvious he wants more on the 1st line and Fehr aside from physicality wasn't cutting it as the 1RW. Lots of assumptions to be made, maybe none accurate.

They have been outright dominant. Creating a buttload of scoring chances. They have scored in 2 out of 3 games. I mean, what more would Tortz want out of that 1st line? I don't think its far fetched to assume the changes were made because he didn't feel comfortable with Laich centering that 3rd line.

Speaking of 90, how is it that I'm always completely opposite the majority on this board regarding his play? Last year you all thought he was gawful and I supported him, and this year I see a lot of people think he's been good but I don't like what I've seen so far. Zany.

I thought he was subpar last year. And he isn't anything more than average this year.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
In practice today:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Johansson - Burakovsky - Laich
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
O'Brien - Kuznetsov - Latta

To me, this an attempt to find a place for Brouwer and Laich where they can be more useful, and to try to get more out of 2nd and especially 3rd lines. I doubt that Trotz was dissatisfied with Fehr, given how the 1st line looked.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
I'm pretty sure in a trotz presser or conversation he mentioned that teams are moving away from having a checking line. I think that's the same place he mentioned teams having 4 coaches on the bench.

Anyway, ward-XXX-chimera isn't a checking line. They might be an "energy" line in the sense that their possession/board work tires out the opponent, but they aren't a checking line...and never have been.

So putting kuz there won't be about his ability as a defensive focused center...it would be if Trotz thought he could help the other two drive the play.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If they're getting matched against the opposition's top line (and they are), it doesn't matter what we call them; they need to be effective against the opposition's top players.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
If they're getting matched against the opposition's top line (and they are), it doesn't matter what we call them; they need to be effective against the opposition's top players.

Is that the case though?

(haven't been able to watch the games, but it would surprise me if that's the case given what trotz was saying this summer)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is that the case though?

(haven't been able to watch the games, but it would surprise me if that's the case given what trotz was saying this summer)

largely it has been the case, yes. most teams match. further, currently trotz first choice for defensive zone draws is chimera and ward. put Kuz in there and he would be change that. it would really handcuff him on the road.

two rookie centers would mean only Backstrom and Beagle/Latta could be sent out for dzone face offs on the road. with the last change opposing teams are going to send their #1 line out against kuz.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I like that Trotz is not afraid to start shuffling lines that are working to fix other lines.

I hate the claim "we can't break up ______ and ______" Its bunk. There are 13000 combos a coach can try and only has 80 games to solve that puzzle.

If moving Fehr down fails, he can move him right back in the 2nd period. "Danger" averted.

I think he should move Ward up top.

With this lineup, the options are endless now what we have a 2C :yo:

Bura has looked awesome in the limited times I have seen him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am not sure what oprik had to do with that goal and holtby should have easily had it. stuff happens. I am not losing sleep over that.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
largely it has been the case, yes. most teams match. further, currently trotz first choice for defensive zone draws is chimera and ward. put Kuz in there and he would be change that. it would really handcuff him on the road.

two rookie centers would mean only Backstrom and Beagle/Latta could be sent out for dzone face offs on the road. with the last change opposing teams are going to send their #1 line out against kuz.

Not true...

The top line has more defensive zone draws. Its a ****** line, Laich sucks stop defending him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Jeez if Laich ever reclaims his scoring touch so many posters here will be looking for something to kick instead of rejoicing. The guy was once a do it all heart and soul guy who picked up some injuries. Always what have you done for me lately with some people I guess.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
Jeez if Laich ever reclaims his scoring touch so many posters here will be looking for something to kick instead of rejoicing. The guy was once a do it all heart and soul guy who picked up some injuries. Always what have you done for me lately with some people I guess.

Just because at one point in time he was a solid player doesn't make him not suck now. He's great on the PK, worthless everywhere else.

You cant really say its "what have you done for me lately", he hasn't been a effective player for years now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
years? definition? he has 16g and 41pts playing hunter hockey and then 7pts in 14 playoff games. that's worthless?

Halpysback*

Jeez if Laich ever reclaims his scoring touch so many posters here will be looking for something to kick instead of rejoicing.

You'll be looking for something kick as well since Laich regaining his scoring touch would mean we traded for Semin ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad