GDT: Sharks vs. Capitals 7:00 EST Verizon Center

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The only variable? Based on last year?

How about a completely different style of play and philosophy?

Notice how good the 1st line is possession wise?

Remember it was Kuznetsov who missed a pass right on his tape by Orpik that led to Scott's goal. He's still raw and by no means a good match for a checking role vs tough competition which is exactly what Laich faced.

Exactly. There is a reason that Ward and Chimera were very good for the last couple of seasons. The offense was taylor-made for their games. What do Chimera and Ward do best? They cycle. Under Oates, that is what they were asked to do, cycle in the corners, wait for a breakdown and exploit.

Trotz seems to have a bit of a more complex, and yet simple offensive zone strategy. He is fine with cycling, but prefers two guys and higher up the side wall with the third guy sitting and waiting for a pass in the center. Look at both of Ovechkin's even strength goals. On Saturday, he was sitting up high while Fehr and Backstrom worked in the corner off of a dump. When the puck worked to the other side, Ovechkin was not the first guy on it, like he would have been under Oates. Alzner pinched down and Ovechkin covered for him. Alzner chipped it down to Backstrom and vacated back to his position while Ovechkin moved into a position to shoot. On his goal yesterday Backstrom was the high guy. Ovechkin chipped it down to Fehr, who quickly found Backstrom sitting there at the top of the circle. He made a very nifty play to OV who was coming off of the side boards instead of the corners and was in a great position to shoot.

Back to the 3rd line: Chimera, Ward, and Laich are muckers right now. They are great at controlling possession in the corners, but none of them are great playmakers or shooters. They will never be adept at turning that possession into shot attempts. They need to use their points more, like Trotz seems to encourage to generate those shots. It seems to me that they are stuck in cycle mode a bit here. They keep possession just fine, but turning that possession into shots are their weakness. That may also be by design for all I know. When they are matched up against top competition, Trotz could want them to cycle more and hold possession instead of take risks and possibly turn the puck over.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Fehr looks like a lock for 1RW. Not sure how Kuz would mesh. Bura is probably also better served not being put against opponent's top line every night..

I am not surprised that Fehr is a good fit on the top line, but I am surprised by how gritty and awesome he's been. He's the perfect compliment for Ovie and Backstrom right now.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yes absolutely. Burakovsky is a threat everytime he is out there and MJ has looked miles better. Brouwer is Brouwer and has been the same. He'll botch possession sometimes, he'll turn it over sometimes, he'll score a nice goal here and there and he finishes his checks.

Laich and Brouwer are our best PK forwards and its hard to move MJ off the PP.

MJ has been pretty darn strong and aggressive on the boards this year and has carried the puck with authority. Shooting alot more too.

Yup. Mojo's shots look great, although the only one he buried was gift wrapped from Ovechkin on the PP.

I admit I was a hater, but now I think I was wrong and Oates was just Oatesing Mojo's career to death.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Exactly. There is a reason that Ward and Chimera were very good for the last couple of seasons. The offense was taylor-made for their games. What do Chimera and Ward do best? They cycle. Under Oates, that is what they were asked to do, cycle in the corners, wait for a breakdown and exploit.

Trotz seems to have a bit of a more complex, and yet simple offensive zone strategy. He is fine with cycling, but prefers two guys and higher up the side wall with the third guy sitting and waiting for a pass in the center. Look at both of Ovechkin's even strength goals. On Saturday, he was sitting up high while Fehr and Backstrom worked in the corner off of a dump. When the puck worked to the other side, Ovechkin was not the first guy on it, like he would have been under Oates. Alzner pinched down and Ovechkin covered for him. Alzner chipped it down to Backstrom and vacated back to his position while Ovechkin moved into a position to shoot. On his goal yesterday Backstrom was the high guy. Ovechkin chipped it down to Fehr, who quickly found Backstrom sitting there at the top of the circle. He made a very nifty play to OV who was coming off of the side boards instead of the corners and was in a great position to shoot.

Back to the 3rd line: Chimera, Ward, and Laich are muckers right now. They are great at controlling possession in the corners, but none of them are great playmakers or shooters. They will never be adept at turning that possession into shot attempts. They need to use their points more, like Trotz seems to encourage to generate those shots. It seems to me that they are stuck in cycle mode a bit here. They keep possession just fine, but turning that possession into shots are their weakness. That may also be by design for all I know. When they are matched up against top competition, Trotz could want them to cycle more and hold possession instead of take risks and possibly turn the puck over.

Good breakdown and observations Hunter.

I totally agree. Also good point about Trotz may want them not taking risky offensive plays in the offensive zone and is content with them just playing keep away and tiring out the top line of other teams. I mean it wouldn't be a bad strategy.

Was listening to Espo on XM radio a some years ago and he said something that hit a cord.

His partner asked him how much attention he was given in his days with the Bs since he was a top scorer. Espo was indignant! He basically said..."man some of those ******** (in reference to opposition checking lines)...they didn't even TRY TO SCORE!"

He was frustrated about that a bit.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Has the 2nd line looked convincing? I didn't see the 3rd period yesterday, but it looked like Brouwer's goal was an individual effort, as was Bura's first goal. MJ has looked more alive, but still I haven't gotten the sense that this line has any real chemistry -- although perhaps it's worth to wait and see a bit longer.

Bura had a rough start last night I thought. But as the game went on, he improved. By the 3rd, dude was down right dominant. There is still a bit of lack of chemistry on that line, which IMO will improve as they keep playing together.

Right now 1st line looks beastly, but thats because Ovi and Nicky have always had good chemistry. Once they reaaaallly start involving Fehr, watch the f out.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I am not surprised that Fehr is a good fit on the top line, but I am surprised by how gritty and awesome he's been. He's the perfect compliment for Ovie and Backstrom right now.

I am a lot more surprised by how much better Ovi and Backstrom have looked at ES -- I've thought for a long time (and I think others have, too) that Fehr is the best fit there, but even with Fehr I had HUGE doubts about Ovi & Backstrom producing at ES, since we haven't seen it since the Boudreau heydays.

But suddenly Ovi is really moving his feet, Backstrom's movement I think looked a bit better, too, and bingo -- that's exactly what they were missing -- workrate. Fehr fits in nicely, but before this year even with Fehr the Ovi-Backstrom line lacked overall hustle/movement.

I can't get my head around it -- does it really take ~15 years of coaching experience to tell stars players to move their damn feet?!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I can't get my head around it -- does it really take ~15 years of coaching experience to tell stars players to move their damn feet?!

No. It just takes NOT having an idiot of a head coach who micromanaged every aspect of every players game to try to get them to play like he did!

Its not just the cycling and possession. Notice how Ovie is hitting a ton more again?? He's averaging like 5 hits a game so far.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I think a lot of it has to do with the locations they were being told to move their feet to get to and the overall offensive philosophy. Oates didn't seem to grasp how to create offense other than "create sick passing play, score". Well how do we do that?

Trotz seems like a guy who puts guys in a position to be involved in the game, asks them to work hard for it, and lets their natural talent dictate how effective they are to a large degree.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
No. It just takes NOT having an idiot of a head coach who micromanaged every aspect of every players game to try to get them to play like he did!

Trotz was pissed off about the fact that they refused to shoot in the first period, this is evident from his presser.

Now compare that to Adam "I never shot the puck much myself so I can't ask them to shoot" Oates. :laugh:

Seriously, dude might have been the worst Caps coach I've seen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Trotz was pissed off about the fact that they refused to shoot in the first period, this is evident from his presser.

Now compare that to Adam "I never shot the puck much myself so I can't ask them to shoot" Oates. :laugh:

Seriously, dude might have been the worst Caps coach I've seen.

Right. And the "play a zone" on defense and sit back.

Last year how many times did we hold an opponent under 30 shots all year??

This year we have allowed 24, 29 and 23 shots to some of the best teams in the league...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am a lot more surprised by how much better Ovi and Backstrom have looked at ES -- I've thought for a long time (and I think others have, too) that Fehr is the best fit there, but even with Fehr I had HUGE doubts about Ovi & Backstrom producing at ES, since we haven't seen it since the Boudreau heydays.

But suddenly Ovi is really moving his feet, Backstrom's movement I think looked a bit better, too, and bingo -- that's exactly what they were missing -- workrate. Fehr fits in nicely, but before this year even with Fehr the Ovi-Backstrom line lacked overall hustle/movement.

Fehr has Wilson coming and knows that Ward and Brouwer have an advantage on him. Its hard to underestimate the insentive that Fehr has to make these first 10 games big.

Halpysback*

Switch Laich and Kuz. Laich kills possession and throws pucks to the middle of nowhere. Kuz has the skill to take advantage of the space Chimera and Ward create.

Laich has put forth the effort and been good on the PK but he brings that line down at even strength. Right now he's playing like more of a very good 4th liner.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
So, last season, when Laich was acknowledged to have not been as healthy or effective as he looks (so far) this season. He had 8-7-15 in 51 games. That projects to 12-12-24 over an 82 game season. Wanna guess where that would have ranked him among forwards in the league? Somewhere from 232-242, which would have made his production like that of, wait for it.....a 7th-8th forward, i.e., a 3rd liner.

So in a a season where he was unhealthy, playing in a terrible system under a buffoon of a coach, he still produced like a third liner, yet somehow people say he's a 4th liner. If that's not a product of personal bias, I don't know what is.

Not arguing against you, but for those stats to be correct you have to adjust everybody's stats to an 82-game estimation. All 300+ forwards.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Right. And the "play a zone" on defense and sit back.

Last year how many times did we hold an opponent under 30 shots all year??

This year we have allowed 24, 29 and 23 shots to some of the best teams in the league...

Told Ov not to hit.
Told Green not to skate with the puck.
Told Holtby not to challenge the shooter.

Told Guy LaFluer not to shoot off the wing
Told Bobby Orr not to rush the puck
Told Ron Hextall not to play the puck.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Thrive in what way? Thornton or the like would eat him alive. Do you really want to match Kuznetsov against Crosby or Stamkos or Tavares or....you know.

Sure, why not? That line has historically been effective in all three zones, regardless of the C. Remember those magical days when Majo looked like a world beater in that spot?

Besides, since when has Kuzya been considered a major defensive liability? The 4th is holding its own in the D zone with him at C, and he has not been repeatedly burned in his own zone this year or last.

There's no evidence that Thornton or anyone else would "eat him alive", especially between two very competent defensive wingers.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Sure, why not? That line has historically been effective in all three zones, regardless of the C. Remember those magical days when Majo looked like a world beater in that spot?

Besides, since when has Kuzya been considered a major defensive liability? The 4th is holding its own in the D zone with him at C, and he has not been repeatedly burned in his own zone this year or last.

There's no evidence that Thornton or anyone else would "eat him alive", especially between two very competent defensive wingers.

Did you not watch ANY preseason games??

There is a reason why he lost out the 2C and 3C spots. He needs to learn the position and often times was caught overthinking and missed several assignments that led to goals against.

He's not ready to be moved up on the C depth chart altho he could easily fill in as a W in the top 6.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
The pass Burakovsky made in the Sharks zone in the 3rd period (to Carlson) was a thing of beauty. There aren't many guys in the NHL who have that type of vision. He saw Carlson had a step on his man, put the puck in an open space to where Carlson was going, but unfortunately Niemi blocked the deflection. My jaw hit the floor. Fellas, we have a good one here in #65.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Preseason? Really? You're basing your assessment of his defensive play on a few preseason games, when I don't think he's been on the ice for a goal against in the real games, and is +1?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Preseason? Really? You're basing your assessment of his defensive play on a few preseason games, when I don't think he's been on the ice for a goal against in the real games, and is +1?

why do you think they play those preseason games? To break in new sticks? It's all about position battles.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Wait...isn't that what preseason was for??? Wasn't there a battle for 2C and 3C?

Did I miss something?

He's played sheltered minutes for the most part at 4C and needs time to learn the position at this level. I don't think I'm alone in my observation here.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm generally neutral on Laich, but the 3rd line isn't doing anything in the O zone right now and he's the only variable that I'm aware of.

Also, NBTW is on crack if he thinks Kuzya wouldn't thrive in that spot. He's an excellent playmaker whose game is tailor made to mesh with shooting puck retrievers. Plus, as has been thoroughly discussed, everyone other than 21 has done well between Ward and Chimmer.

You're on crack if you think Kuzya would thrive in a checking line role matched up against other team's top lines.

The game ain't all about offense.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The pass Burakovsky made in the Sharks zone in the 3rd period (to Carlson) was a thing of beauty. There aren't many guys in the NHL who have that type of vision. He saw Carlson had a step on his man, put the puck in an open space to where Carlson was going, but unfortunately Niemi blocked the deflection. My jaw hit the floor. Fellas, we have a good one here in #65.

That was an awesome play. How many weeks have these guys been playing together? How many chances do you think Carlson and Bura ever got in practice to work on that? I'm guessing not a whole helluva lot and Bura just has awesome instincts.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
This is such a very encouraging start to the season.

I'm so impressed with the coaching staff. The players are skating with conviction and once they have a half-season working on trouble spots and building chemistry they could actually make some noise.

To me, Burakovsky looks like a star. That's probably me just being a homer, but that kid has so much talent. His game has a sublime quality. From what I can tell in a small sample size he see's the ice like an elite player, he skates like an elite player, and he shoots like an elite player.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
That was an awesome play. How many weeks have these guys been playing together? How many chances do you think Carlson and Bura ever got in practice to work on that? I'm guessing not a whole helluva lot and Bura just has awesome instincts.

I completely agree. Also, not a chance in hell Burakovsky is sent back after game 9/10. He's just too good. I don't expect him to keep up his ppg pace, but if he can play in at least 75, there is no reason why he can't put up 55 points.

Two other things:

1. Niskanen breaking up that odd-man rush was textbook. On top of it all, he started the rush going back to the Sharks end. He's been better than advertised so far.

2. Carlson....anyone a little bit surprised at how shoddy he looks? I thought for sure that he would be a good partner for Orpik...those two looked completely lost when paired.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
To me, Burakovsky looks like a star. That's probably me just being a homer, but that kid has so much talent. His game has a sublime quality. From what I can tell in a small sample size is that he see's the ice like an elite player, he skates like an elite player, and he shoots like an elite player.

I don't think there is homerism at work here at all. He is going to be a star in this league very soon. Need to see if he can keep it up but if this is his normal level of play then he certainly is elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->