GDT: Sharks vs Avalanche 7:30pm Trying to lose out

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If anybody wants to feel more sad about Jones, here are some highlights of 2016 jones. he's just a completely different goalie compared to his prime

Reactions: Alwalys

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Honestly, if he’s back next year I’m simply not tuning in. He’s a bad coach, no one has flourished under him, no vets have responded under him, I can’t think of a single thing he’s done well. For him to say he’s not surprised they missed the playoffs is one of the most baffling things I’ve head a coach say. The team will never thrive with him behind the bench.
But at the same time, he might be a bad coach but he's not an idiot. He was hired to be the head coach of a team with 3 proven top-6 forwards, two reclamation projects in goal and two proven top-4 defensemen with one promising sophomore and one guy trying to play himself into a job at a doggy daycare. He lost the heart and soul of the team before the season started and got back the ultimate "coworker who shows up because he's on the schedule" (no offense @Pinkfloyd ). If he thought they were a playoff team heading into the season, I want his number for my Nigerian prince friend. He was brought back because DW wanted to rebuild and take stock of the young prospects. It worked for both sides because it builds Boughner's HC resume with plausible deniability for losing, and DW trusted him based on past history to be an honest judge of talent in the system. Nobody loses (except for the Sharks of this year and next), and he gets to command the tank while also doing Sommer's job of finding out who's NHL-ready. The bonus is that they're actually better than last year, so he can say he improved the team. And now when he gets fired in a year or two, both sides can say they're better off.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
But at the same time, he might be a bad coach but he's not an idiot. He was hired to be the head coach of a team with 3 proven top-6 forwards, two reclamation projects in goal and two proven top-4 defensemen with one promising sophomore and one guy trying to play himself into a job at a doggy daycare. He lost the heart and soul of the team before the season started and got back the ultimate "coworker who shows up because he's on the schedule" (no offense @Pinkfloyd ). If he thought they were a playoff team heading into the season, I want his number for my Nigerian prince friend. He was brought back because DW wanted to rebuild and take stock of the young prospects. It worked for both sides because it builds Boughner's HC resume with plausible deniability for losing, and DW trusted him based on past history to be an honest judge of talent in the system. Nobody loses (except for the Sharks of this year and next), and he gets to command the tank while also doing Sommer's job of finding out who's NHL-ready. The bonus is that they're actually better than last year, so he can say he improved the team. And now when he gets fired in a year or two, both sides can say they're better off.
Except he was coaching halfway through last season. How much evaluation could possibly be done when he’s shuffling guys in and out, up and down on a game by game basis? If the plan was to tank then ducking tank and go full-on evaluation, don’t play burns and EK 52 minutes a game and every second of every special teams opportunity. Don’t sign Dubnyk and instead throw Korenar in sporadically through the season to get him adjusted. Don’t bring up Blichfeld or Kellman for a game and then leave them on the taxi squad. Don’t half ass one way or another. If you want to evaluate the younger players then give them an opportunity to be evaluated. The only answers we got are on the guys that can’t be moved anyways and if anything he only hurt their value and the possibility of them being sent elsewhere. It was a lame duck attempt at hoping and praying the team would thrive and there was absolutely no adjustment made in the long term vision once it became clear that the team was going to stink. Oh sure, every now and then he’d come out and “keep it real with the media” by calling out players and complain that the performance wasn’t acceptable, but I don’t remember one single game where the team responded from a lashing. It’s clear the players have no interest in playing for him.

Last edited:

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Except he was coaching halfway through last season.
He wasn't hired as permanent HC until the off-season. If he didn't have a conversation with Doug about expectations before taking the full-time job, I fully agree with you that he should be bagging groceries at the Trader Joe's in Sunnyvale by the end of the month.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If anybody wants to feel more sad about Jones, here are some highlights of 2016 jones. he's just a completely different goalie compared to his prime

First thing i notice is his size. looks much bigger there, which fits with the narrative that the shrinking goalie pads threw off his positioning / affected his ability to make saves.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

The irony of the video is it’s him making high danger saves. He still sort of does that, he can’t stop the low danger ones to save his life.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
First thing i notice is his size. looks much bigger there, which fits with the narrative that the shrinking goalie pads threw off his positioning / affected his ability to make saves.
the gear was an after thought for me. the lateral movement is insanely good compared to what it is right now.

Reactions: Alwalys

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jones lost the locker room after the Blues series. They knew we had a stacked team but it didn't matter because he sucked.

Quoted for emphasis. Let's not forget that Jones is the #1 reason the Sharks didn't advance in 2018 and 2019.

It's easy to see what you want to see, but I've always thought that even at his best, Jones was a middling play-reader. Combine that with his mobility and size, and you got a goaltender who could be above-average. Enter an injury, which vitiated his mobility, and a pad reduction, which effectively made him smaller, and he didn't have the brains to adapt.

Reactions: Bizz

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

No SNOG.

SNOGLossFail.JPG

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Jan. 14 at CoyotesCasSharks 4-3 SO
2Jan. 16 at CoyotesnoneCoyotes 5-3
3Jan. 18 at BluesnoneBlues 5-4
4Jan. 20 at BluesnoneSharks 2-1 SO
5Jan. 22 at WildnoneWild 4-1
6Jan. 24 at WildMunnyroSharks 5-3
7Jan. 26 at AvalanchenoneAvs 7-3
8Jan. 28 at AvalanchenoneAvs 3-0
9Feb. 5 at DucksnoneSharks 5-4 SO
10Feb. 6 at DucksnoneDucks 2-1 SO
11Feb. 9 at KingsnoneSharks 4-3 SO
12Feb. 11 at KingsnoneKings 6-2
13Feb. 13 vs Golden KnightsnoneVGK 3-1
14Feb. 15 vs DucksDoctor SoraluceSharks 3-2
15Feb. 18 at BluesPinkfloydBlues 3-2 OT
16Feb. 20 at BluesnoneSharks 5-4
17Feb. 22 vs WildnoneWild 6-2
18Feb. 27 vs BluesnoneBlues 7-6
19Mar. 1 vs AvalanchenoneSharks 6-2
20Mar. 3 vs AvalanchenoneAvs 4-0
21Mar. 5 vs Golden KnightsnoneVGK 5-4 OT
22Mar. 6 vs Golden KnightsnoneVGK 4-0
23Mar. 8 vs BluesnoneSharks 3-2 OT
24Mar. 12 at DucksnoneSharks 6-0
25Mar. 13 at DucksCas, Kcoyote3Sharks 3-1
26Mar. 15 at Golden KnightsnoneVGK 2-1
27Mar. 17 at Golden KnightsnoneVGK 5-4
28Mar. 19 vs BluesnoneBlues 2-1 SO
29Mar. 20 vs BluesnoneBlues 5-2
30Mar. 22 vs KingsnoneSharks 2-1
31Mar. 24 vs KingsPainful Quandary, statorSharks 4-2
32Mar. 26 at CoyotesnoneCoyotes 5-2
33Mar. 27 at CoyotesnoneCoyotes 4-0
34Mar. 29 vs WildnoneSharks 4-3 SO
35Mar. 31 vs WildbluefunnelSharks 4-2
36Apr. 2 at KingsnoneSharks 3-0
37Apr. 3 at KingsKarl PrimeSharks 3-2
38Apr. 6 vs DucksnoneDucks 5-1
39Apr. 9 vs Kingsshorkie88Sharks 3-2
40Apr. 10 vs KingsnoneKings 4-2
41Apr. 12 vs DucksnoneDucks 4-0
42Apr. 14 vs DucksnoneDucks 4-1
43Apr. 16 at WildnoneWild 3-2
44Apr. 17 at WildnoneWild 5-2
45Apr. 19 at Golden KnightsnoneVGK 3-2 SO
46Apr. 21 at Golden KnightsPinkfloydVGK 5-2
47Apr. 24 vs WildnoneWild 6-3
48Apr. 26 vs CoyotesnoneSharks 6-4
49Apr. 28 vs CoyotesbluefunnelSharks 4-2
50Apr. 30 at AvalanchenoneAvs 3-0
51May 1 at AvalanchenoneAvs 4-3
52May 3 vs AvalanchenoneAvs 5-4 OT
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2021 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
T-1.bluefunnel, Cas, Pinkfloyd2
T-4.Doctor Soraluce, Karl Prime, Kcoyote3, Munnyro, Painful Quandary, shorkie88, stator1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Pretty sure we lost in 2019 because we were completely decimated by injury.
2019 was an illusion. we barely made it into the playoffs and got pass vegas through sheer luck. it was incredible but that was a one in a million game.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
2019 was an illusion. we barely made it into the playoffs and got pass vegas through sheer luck. it was incredible but that was a one in a million game.
That was one of the highest scoring Sharks teams in their entire history. Top to bottom they were probably the deepest roster the Sharks have ever had.

Remember, if the GI call in game 2 goes the other way, Game 7 maybe doesn't even happen.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The play may have been sheer luck but the team still had to make it happen. Love him or hate him, that game 6 performance by Jones was probably the greatest goaltending performance in club history.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The play may have been sheer luck but the team still had to make it happen. Love him or hate him, that game 6 performance by Jones was probably the greatest goaltending performance in club history.

Jones was like the arsonist returning with a fire extinguisher.

Reactions: magic school bus

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Jeez that mobility, control and attack of the puck. And reaction times for that matter. He's resetting so fast in these clips. What the hell happened?

I also had him tracked for giving up more lower danger goals than an average NHL goalie, especially from out far. I don't know why it is but the heat charts showed it before his first game in teal.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's easy to see what you want to see, but I've always thought that even at his best, Jones was a middling play-reader. Combine that with his mobility and size, and you got a goaltender who could be above-average. Enter an injury, which vitiated his mobility, and a pad reduction, which effectively made him smaller, and he didn't have the brains to adapt.

His play reading is good in these highlights, he's not just barely making saves, he's fronting them, or he's getting plenty of pad in front of them. His mobility maybe allowed him to track pucks better, maybe the loss of lateral mobility makes it harder for him to navigate screens. Not sure what happened to his glove hand though, it didn't seem like such a weakness before. Was he just scouted?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Other than equating Marleau to the coworker, I agree with a lot of this. Boughner is nothing special as a coach and the team isn't really poised to do anything next year so I'm okay with keeping him another season or getting someone else. But changing the coaches is window dressing without significant turnover to the roster starting with Jones. The team needs to move all players that don't want to be here through whatever it is they think they're doing in the short term. I'm alright with taking a hit to get players to move on. I know others are probably not for that because they want to do the best asset management deal but moving players on is often times better than the best asset management deal when waiting for that deal can cause internal strife. But when it comes to Jones specifically, if they can't find a trade, they need to waive him and assign him to an AHL team that isn't the Barracuda or overseas. I don't believe that another goalie is going to improve much over the long haul the way we're built and playing but you have to start somewhere and showing the team including the coaches and managers that it isn't just the goalies not doing their jobs properly is something.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Waive Jones, staple him to the taxi squad for the rest of the season. No one will touch him.

Start Korenar and let Melnichuk or Sawchenko act as backup (probably both), start whichever of them looks most impressive over the weekend. Doesn't matter if we lose and one shelling isn't going to ruin them permanently anyway.

Expose Jones at the draft and then buy him out. Ideally he never wears a Sharks uniform again.

Pick up a veteran goalie in the offseason and go with Vet/Korenar to start the season, with Melnichuk/Sawchenko on the Barracuda (I have no idea what to do with Emond but I'm sure they'll figure out something).

Korenar might not be any better than Jones, but at least he's cheaper and at least he has the potential to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad