Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Nikolai Knyzhov to ELC

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Sorry for the necroing - but what a great find for the Sharks.

I tried to go back in time a little to see where he was mentioned. Popped up just before the 2018 draft as
#33 of Russian prospects. (via @Caser aka https://twitter.com/RUSProspects in 2018 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects )

33. LHD Nikolai Knyzhov (6'2" 194 lbs; St. Petersburg SKA-Neva, VHL; 2 years overage)
Some good size and skating combination in Knyzhov's case and also decent defensive reliability, but you don't want to see him handling the puck. Ever.

One year ago, this was posted as verbatim from an NHL scout:
Scout #1: “He’s had some adjustment issues. Not an offensive player. But I like the way he thinks, he defends well, he’s used to playing man-to-man. I like his positioning. I like his tools.
“Nobody ever mentions him. But I’d have to see more of him in a better role. They play him in the bottom pairing, they protect him. He looks like he’s a ways away. But he’d be a guy who I’d watch for a while.”

(via @Sheng Peng in Scouts talk Blichfeld, Gambrell and other Sharks prospects )

He's beaten a bunch of prospects ahead of him and has been very solid for us so far.
He's still making mistakes but he's also already showing off flashes of skill.
Can't wait what's in store for him if he continues to progress as he does.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Sorry for the necroing - but what a great find for the Sharks.

I tried to go back in time a little to see where he was mentioned. Popped up just before the 2018 draft as
#33 of Russian prospects. (via @Caser aka https://twitter.com/RUSProspects in 2018 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects )

One year ago, this was posted as verbatim from an NHL scout:

(via @Sheng Peng in Scouts talk Blichfeld, Gambrell and other Sharks prospects )

He's beaten a bunch of prospects ahead of him and has been very solid for us so far.
He's still making mistakes but he's also already showing off flashes of skill.
Can't wait what's in store for him if he continues to progress as he does.
Interesting comment here:

but you don't want to see him handling the puck. Ever

i would argue that his poise with the puck has helped him tremendously. he's not making those rookie mistakes after being rushed to make a play. he's been buying time for himself with good puck possession

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Knyzhov feels like a guy that can be our next Justin Braun. Hopefully be a complimentary #4 for the next 5+ years and be able to PK and play good minutes. That said, he could just as easily be the next Joakim Ryan as well. Hopefully more Braun than Ryan for our sake. Left side of the defense subtly becoming a big logjam with lots of prospects coming through there as well (Ferraro, Knyzhov, Vlasic, Simek then Pasichnuk, Hattaka, Kniazev). Obviously don't want to count chickens before they hatch, but it would be really nice to see Vlasic gone to open up a bunch of cap space as well as a roster spot for a young guy in the coming years.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Two weeks ago I noticed Knyzhov doing shimmies and head fakes. Then a couple games after I saw Ferraro do some shimmies and head fakes. At this rate, I'm hopeful that some of the poise shown by the young guys can rub off onto Vlasic.

Nothing rubs off on Vlasic, they only rub him the wrong way

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad