Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Kurtis Gabriel 1 year 700k

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's big, not very good at hockey, and not that good of a fighter. Nice guy, apparently.

Reactions: Groo

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
My first thought- man, I used to be so much more in touch with bottom 6 forwards around the league. New job has drastically reduced my knowledge of league depth.

Second thought- okay, never would have known this guy.

Whatever, we need AHL depth too. Too bad Wilson isn't focused on the holes on the NHL roster. That said, I'd buy continued patience is a virtue- quality NHL players are already desperate, and we could grab several. However, with the 'they need to earn help' I'm not convinced Wilson isn't done.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My first thought- man, I used to be so much more in touch with bottom 6 forwards around the league. New job has drastically reduced my knowledge of league depth.

Second thought- okay, never would have known this guy.

Whatever, we need AHL depth too. Too bad Wilson isn't focused on the holes on the NHL roster. That said, I'd buy continued patience is a virtue- quality NHL players are already desperate, and we could grab several. However, with the 'they need to earn help' I'm not convinced Wilson isn't done.
Thinking back on the season, they talked about how the AHL squad was one of the youngest AHL teams in the league quite a bit. And obviously, John McCarthy the player had to retire as well so they lost their veteran mentor in the room as well. It really makes me think that they want some teachers and mentors in the locker room for the AHL kids.

Reactions: themelkman

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
So confusing

I literally said "who" assuming it was a euro signing.

Nope

Just some rando

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
In other News from Hockey Central that there is grumbling from Front Offices around the League about a shortage of 15th-16th emergency call up forwards..... Details to follow. :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Seems like really good dude. No idea how he fits into the bottomless pit that is the Sharks' bottom 6 and Barracuda forwards, but good dude.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
That said, I'd buy continued patience is a virtue- quality NHL players are already desperate, and we could grab several. However, with the 'they need to earn help' I'm not convinced Wilson isn't done.

I think you are right. Fans are peeved at what this team looks like currently, but today isn't opening night or even the start of training camp.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Also apparently "nice guy off the ice" does not include the tunnel to the dressing room: Kurtis Gabriel: One-punched into Wild lore
Yeah he also hit Nolan Patrick in the back pretty hard.

The more I see about this guy the more I think most of what he has to offer is his rainbow flag in his twitter bio. Not a fan of bringing dirty guys on the team no matter what kind of stuff they preach

Reactions: Sandisfan

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Ah the final piece

tenor.gif

Reactions: Groo

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
The twitter fans are lapping it up, so successful in that regard.

The cuda kinda suck, so there’s not a lot of harm in having this guy on the fourth line

Cuda suck, but there are a lot of guys that need spots up front...knowing Sommer, he's going to be in the lineup every night instead of one of the prospects.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Yeah he also hit Nolan Patrick in the back pretty hard.

The more I see about this guy the more I think most of what he has to offer is his rainbow flag in his twitter bio. Not a fan of bringing dirty guys on the team no matter what kind of stuff they preach

The article sjsharky linked did end with "It’s time for a new shtick if Gabriel wants to be more than just “Hired hitman.” ;)

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Thinking back on the season, they talked about how the AHL squad was one of the youngest AHL teams in the league quite a bit. And obviously, John McCarthy the player had to retire as well so they lost their veteran mentor in the room as well. It really makes me think that they want some teachers and mentors in the locker room for the AHL kids.

Yeah, it seems like the AHL part of the contract is to be a veteran presence. He appears to be a professional, good teammate, and a goon, just not NHL caliber.

And I suspect the NHL part of the contract is on the off chance that he can become the next Barclay Goodrow. Maybe one of the old school types in the front office sees him as a pet project. #TopSixForward

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
For a few moments when I saw he started out with the Wild I thought he was the guy that got his leg broke by Torrey Mitchell.

Then I realized that was Kurtis Foster.

Then I went and looked up some info and found that the Wild have employed precisely 50% of the NHL's historical number of "Kurtis with a K" players

I look forward to them acquiring Kurtis MacDermid from the Kings and Bill Guerin hiring the retired Kurtis MacLean to be an assistant coach.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
We honestly need more dirty players, dirty play is rewarded by NHL officiating, especially in the playoffs

See: Every Stanley Cup winning team this past decade

We had the #1 PK in the league last year, we might as well put our best weapon to use, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad