Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign G Alexei Melnichuk ELS 2x$925k

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Except all of those guys had better seasons. Chekhovich has 12 points in 42 games. He doesn't even deserve to be skating with the Cuda with that stat line and should realistically be in the ECHL right now working on his game. You can maybe make a case for Chmelevski, but True, Letunov, Gregor, and others deserve that spot in the NHL lineup at center over him based on their play this season.

For whatever reasons some players games just don't translate to the ahl style of play, but once they get the call to the nhl it is lights out for them.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I also have no confidence in our ahl team actually being a good team for development unfortunately. Maybe that will change with the coaching musical chairs, but maybe it won't.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Looking at cap friendly, Leonard and the two recent signings can’t play no matter what because their contracts don’t start until next season it looks like. I think every prospect deserves a shot. Give em a game or two. They look good then give them more but if they don’t then send them back down. It’s not like either of our AHL or NHL team are any good this season.
Well the conditions on Leonard and Paschunik are that if the season resumes, a year of the ELC is burned this year, meaning yes they can play. Its just that contracts like that arent allowed to be signed during this freeze

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Since the season isn’t officially cancelled and by all accounts it sounds like the last few games will be played, I wonder if the Sharks go with a mostly prospect/earn your spot lineup. Maybe play only a few of Hertl, Couture, Timo, Kane, EK, Burns, Vlasic and give opportunities to the Ch-Twins, Merkley (if possible), Blichfield, the two guys they just signed, etc. I don’t know if this is even possible so this might be a useless post.

Or not :sarcasm:

LeBrun on the Athletic yesterday indicated that two of the three playing scenarios would NOT include the Sharks and other teams "out of the playoffs". (Kinda crazy with "no shot" at the playoffs to go through 2 week quarantine, 2-3 week TC/exhibition games, for three weeks of games, and then off for 3-4 months before coming back for 2020-21 season prep.)

NHL/NHLPA committee meets again on Wednesday.

Reactions: themelkman

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

LeBrun on the Athletic yesterday indicated that two of the three playing scenarios would NOT include the Sharks and other teams "out of the playoffs". (Kinda crazy with "no shot" at the playoffs to go through 2 week quarantine, 2-3 week TC/exhibition games, for three weeks of games, and then off for 3-4 months before coming back for 2020-21 season prep.)

Good!! It never made sense to me to try and cram in the rest of the regular season. They should focus on getting in a full playoffs.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
My guess is there won't be a summer prospect camp.

So, it'll be training camp that the organization looks at all their goalies and determine the depth chart.

Melnichuk needs to get used to the NHL rink size. So for that reason alone he may start in the AHL.

It could be that Korenar, Emond and Melnichuk rotate as the NHL backup. (I'd put Sawchenko in there as well, but as of today, he's on an AHL deal so would have to be upgraded to NHL deal before he could participate at the same.) Robinson is done with college, so he might be in the mix as well.

SKA St Petersburg's rink is NHL dimensions. The KHL uses three different rink sizes - North American, Finnish, and Olympic size.

I don't think Emond is in the AHL, and I suspect Sawchenko's deal will be upgraded to a 2-way NHL deal.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Talked to Zachary Sawchenkos dad on twitter. Hes signed for one year more in the AHL and wants to prove himself. Maybe a little disappointed in the signing of Melni, after the same thing happening last year with Shortridge being signed after him, but still wants to show he can stick.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't think Emond is in the AHL, and I suspect Sawchenko's deal will be upgraded to a 2-way NHL deal.

Sharks "traditionally" have 5 goalies playing pro. 2 in NHL, 2 in AHL and 1 in ECHL. Robinson would add 6th signed goalie.

Sawchenko outplayed Korenar and Shortridge at the end of the season.

Do you expect Emond to return to the Q for his overage season?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Sharks "traditionally" have 5 goalies playing pro. 2 in NHL, 2 in AHL and 1 in ECHL. Robinson would add 6th signed goalie.

I would think the org would like him to go back to the Q as we just dont have the space. However the team would have to have overage space and want him

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well the conditions on Leonard and Paschunik are that if the season resumes, a year of the ELC is burned this year, meaning yes they can play. Its just that contracts like that arent allowed to be signed during this freeze

Pretty sure that it’s the clubs choice to play them or have their deals start next season. They aren’t going to burn a year of elc unless it was a condition to get them here which is doubtful.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

It wouldn't shock me if we moved Korenar out in something similar to the Bibeau trade last year. Barracuda might have some holes to fill on defense again depending on how our RFAs shake out.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It wouldn't shock me if we moved Korenar out in something similar to the Bibeau trade last year. Barracuda might have some holes to fill on defense again depending on how our RFAs shake out.
I am still operating off a world with an amnesty buyout that clears the org of Jones, but I think Korenar is kept to be exposed in the expansion draft. Let's say Jones gets bought out and the org brings in Lehner to replace him.

Lehner is the starter and gets protected. Melnichuk is less than 2 years as a professional and thus auto protected. Whoever the backup is this year is likely only a 1 year deal so no protection. Emond is less than 2 years in so automatic protection. Given the org must expose 1 goalie, that guy is probably Korenar in this scenario. Just all depends what happens on the amnesty (varying reports on plausibility).

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
@STL Shark

Dream on.

Pundits are saying there will be no amnesty buyouts.
If they don't do it, then good chance we don't see hockey for awhile. Too many UFAs and too bad of cap situations for most of the contenders that people want to play with for the NHLPA to come back to work under a decreased salary cap. They're going to have to do something because we are at an impasse.

While I think the NHLPA did some of this to itself by making it virtually unheard of for young players to take bridge deals and earn their money over a larger sample size, it does not make it any more likely that they are going to accept the terms of a decreased salary cap.

Owners can't have their cake in terms of a reduced salary cap and eat it too in terms of putting a dead halt to player pay by not being willing to amnesty a contract or two. Amnesty is the best course of action for the league and owners as a whole because there is literally nothing that forces you to use them. It just gives you the option to buyout a player if you're an owner that is, you know, actually committed to putting a winning product on the ice.

So while yes, many talking heads have said the owners are against it, they have still not put forth a plan that actually works to combat it either.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If they don't do it, then good chance we don't see hockey for awhile. Too many UFAs and too bad of cap situations for most of the contenders that people want to play with for the NHLPA to come back to work under a decreased salary cap. They're going to have to do something because we are at an impasse.

While I think the NHLPA did some of this to itself by making it virtually unheard of for young players to take bridge deals and earn their money over a larger sample size, it does not make it any more likely that they are going to accept the terms of a decreased salary cap.

Owners can't have their cake in terms of a reduced salary cap and eat it too in terms of putting a dead halt to player pay by not being willing to amnesty a contract or two. Amnesty is the best course of action for the league and owners as a whole because there is literally nothing that forces you to use them. It just gives you the option to buyout a player if you're an owner that is, you know, actually committed to putting a winning product on the ice.

So while yes, many talking heads have said the owners are against it, they have still not put forth a plan that actually works to combat it either.

The amnesty buyouts hurt the players more then the owners. So they will not agree with it. And plus, lets just say the season gets cancelled. No remaining games played + no playoffs. That is to much money to make up for the cap to work with or without an amnesty buyout used by every team.

For it to potentially be enough every single team would have to use 1. And every team would have to use it on the top paid player. So erik karlsson for the sharks, mcdavid for edmonton.

I say the league keeps the cap as is for the next season, and then go from there with what they do in 21-22 season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
@STL Shark

Dream on.

Pundits are saying there will be no amnesty buyouts.
If they shrink the cap I don't know how they can't offer amnesty buyouts? After one of the lock outs didn't they shrink players salaries by like 5% or something? I wonder if it will come to that. Our state isn't allowing anything over 250 until there is a vaccine or treatment. I bet many others will have similar reopening plans so there won't be fans in the stands until next year. That's a huge revenue shortfall unless they make the NHL TV subscription $50 per game. They're going to have to do something about that math. All the sports will if they can't have fans at the games.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If they shrink the cap I don't know how they can't offer amnesty buyouts? After one of the lock outs didn't they shrink players salaries by like 5% or something? I wonder if it will come to that. Our state isn't allowing anything over 250 until there is a vaccine or treatment. I bet many others will have similar reopening plans so there won't be fans in the stands until next year. That's a huge revenue shortfall unless they make the NHL TV subscription $50 per game. They're going to have to do something about that math. All the sports will if they can't have fans at the games.
All the league has to do is nothing, and escrow will take care of it.

Will it make some players mad? Sure, but they have it in writing, and inconsistent income is the reason it was written like this.

I would really like to see contracts be converted to % of salary cap, so this isn't an issue in the future, but anything other than escrow hikes will mess with free agency and accomplish nothing other than satisfy some players, who have no leverage as the CBA takes care of this.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I would think the Sens would be screaming mad if the scenario where the Sharks have a shot (and do make it).

Me? I would be smiling like a cheshire cat.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I thought it favors the players not being bought out due to the buyout not counting against the league revenue split. Am I wrong?
I actually favors the players getting bought out the most. They still get paid, and then can go sign with another team and get paid twice! (Buyouts just increase the total money going to players without it counting as part of the revenue split. There is no reason for the owners to do it.)

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Last estimate had cap going up a few million.

My guess is worst case would be a flat cap. Any shortfall would be felt by both sides and escrow would handle it.

I'm seeing flat cap next year, 81.5m as no one wants to lower it/go below last year and revenue is
a ?? so no one wants to raise it. Lots of pontificating out there, we won't know until the current
season is done and we can see where revenue ended up.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I actually favors the players getting bought out the most. They still get paid, and then can go sign with another team and get paid twice! (Buyouts just increase the total money going to players without it counting as part of the revenue split. There is no reason for the owners to do it.)

It favors both players and GMs. Players for the reason you noted, for owners they get reduced cap from that player which can be used to replace said player or etc. I would say pretty equal on both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad