Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign G Alexei Melnichuk ELS 2x$925k

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So how would you rank our top goalie prospects by potential?

1. Sawchenko
2. Melnichuk
3. Korenar
Think I would flip 1 and 2. That said, think something has to give on the goalie front if Melnichuk is not ready for backup duties (would venture he is not to start the season) as having all 3 of Melnichuk, Sawchenko, and Korenar with the Cuda creates quite a logjam.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Think I would flip 1 and 2. That said, think something has to give on the goalie front if Melnichuk is not ready for backup duties (would venture he is not to start the season) as having all 3 of Melnichuk, Sawchenko, and Korenar with the Cuda creates quite a logjam.

Be interesting to see the 2 of these 3 that are with the cuda next season for sure. And,
if any of them get NHL time which i'm sure would depend on the sharks season success
next year.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
So how would you rank our top goalie prospects by potential?

1. Sawchenko
2. Melnichuk
3. Korenar

Korenar has a lot to prove because this season was pretty uninspiring. He looked great in a couple small stretches but the overall body of work was lackluster. Yeah, the Barracuda suck, but there weren't a lot of times Korenar helped to keep them in the game. He just sunk along with the rest of the team.

Still, I'd really like to see Sawchenko get more work before I give him an edge. It's a promising start he had, but it's still so few games. Coaches made him the #1 over Korenar after his first few games and then he fell back down to earth a bit and we went back to them splitting time. I'm curious whether we sign him to an NHL deal now after this Melnichuk contract. Emond is coming up too, isn't he?

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
In interview for russian media Alexei said that he had few options in NHL and he chose SJ because of many factors. And he is sure that he made correct choice.
He said that he waits very much the day when he will go to SJ to start training, to continue developing.
By the way, he liked Sharks in childhood, he saw NHL daily highlights on TV and especially he remembers pregame performances in SJ when players came on the ice from shark’s jaw in smoke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad