Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Defenseman Tony Sund to ELC

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Is there anyone who posts here that can give us a scouting report? Finbros, I'm looking at you.

fin.jpg

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I created a thread on the Finland board asking for some input.

Tony Sund (Sport Vaasa) signs with the San Jose Sharks

So far, one person has replied.

Bit of a late bloomer, still played in beer league in 2015 and has developed a ton in the past two seasons. Big guy with good shot from the point, more of an offensive defenseman, defensive game is a work in a progress. He is still really raw, but the long term potential is there, probably going to spend the whole year in the AHL.

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
Looks like I can be a little bit of use here!

I live about 10 minutes away from where Tony comes from. He is a couple of years younger than me but I have a couple of friends who has played with him in the junior years. He is, like someone said, very late bloomer.
Just little over 4 years ago he played at a quite low level (about 3 series down from the FEL), 3 years ago (when he was around 20) he still hadn't gotten really a chance much higher. Still played in the league for Juniors (Sport U20).

The last couple of years it looked liked he could become a decent SM Liiga player, but it was really last year he had his breakthrough year and was gonna join TPS and take big strides this year. Even though he has played very well with the Finnish NT these last couple of games I feel he really needed another full season in the SM Liiga and see if he can improve. Good vision and game sense. Couple more pounds and little more strenght is needed. Decent upside and barely any downside.

Great news for Tony and good luck!

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Trying to understand this contract. Has never played in North America but CapFriendly lists him as a RFA. I thought that he was loaned to TPS so the Sharks could still retain him.

I know he's playing in Riga now but I thought that was just until the season starts.

Looks like I can be a little bit of use here!

I live about 10 minutes away from where Tony comes from. He is a couple of years younger than me but I have a couple of friends who has played with him in the junior years. He is, like someone said, very late bloomer.
Just little over 4 years ago he played at a quite low level (about 3 series down from the FEL), 3 years ago (when he was around 20) he still hadn't gotten really a chance much higher. Still played in the league for Juniors (Sport U20).

The last couple of years it looked liked he could become a decent SM Liiga player, but it was really last year he had his breakthrough year and was gonna join TPS and take big strides this year. Even though he has played very well with the Finnish NT these last couple of games I feel he really needed another full season in the SM Liiga and see if he can improve. Good vision and game sense. Couple more pounds and little more strenght is needed. Decent upside and barely any downside.

Great news for Tony and good luck!

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Trying to understand this contract. Has never played in North America but CapFriendly lists him as a RFA. I thought that he was loaned to TPS so the Sharks could still retain him.

I know he's playing in Riga now but I thought that was just until the season starts.
We signed him to a one year deal last year, but he was pretty awful at camp and they loaned him to the fin league. Now his RFA deal is up, but he has signed a KHL deal with a KHL team. However we qualified him, so we still hold his NHL rights, but he cant legally join us while he has a russian contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad