Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Defenseman Tony Sund to ELC

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If nothing else, the sharks org is giving a lot of Europeans an entry point into America at a better rate than any other team in the league. In the past, these guys would have zero chance at the NHL. Not many teams willing to use a roster spot for a gamble on marginal European talent.
Also have to look at how many guys have gotten second contracts from the org. Melker, Donskoi, Sorensen, and Radil have all signed second contracts with the org with 3 of the 4 all eclipsing an AAV over a million dollars on that second contract. Shows we aren’t just bringing these guys in and cutting bait after 1-2 years generally.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
A lot of people have speculated that the Sharks’ recent treatment of players like Suomela, Radil, and Donskoi will make future EuroFAs reluctant to sign with us but that doesn’t really seem to be the case.

I’d say that is based on absolutely nothing and is completely false. We continue to sign Euros so not sure where that’s coming from. First Yurtaikin and now Sund. Plus we signed Kellman. The Sharks have pretty much given every Euro they signed a chance to earn NHL minutes. Donskoi has stretches where he is absolutely garbage while playing top 6 minutes. Radil was given top 6 minutes. Suomela made the team in his first season in North America. Simek and Heed have all received minutes as well. I know some people here overrate these players but every one of them except Simek played themselves out of the lineup at one point or another.

Can everyone get over the Haley hate already too, it’s quite sad. Yes I’d rather have Donskoi in but the guy hadn’t scored since January until the other night. Haley obviously is limited in what he can do but none of these players are stars. They all had their moments looking solid and being bad. Simek is the only guy that long term I think has a place in this lineup and even that is based off of a fairly small sample size.

I like this constant pattern of signing Euros though. It brings in young guys who want to play pro, generally get some NHL minutes and gives us free depth. Worst case scenario they help out the Barracuda.

Edit: completely forgot about Sorenson and Melker. The Sharks have to be the most appealing franchise for Euro’s who are unsigned based on the experiences of the players who’ve come here. If you perform, you will get playing time in the NHL, plain and simple.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
If nothing else, the sharks org is giving a lot of Europeans an entry point into America at a better rate than any other team in the league. In the past, these guys would have zero chance at the NHL. Not many teams willing to use a roster spot for a gamble on marginal European talent.

Yeah you nail it here. And it's not the Sabres or Senators getting desperate. The Sharks are perennial contenders and have retained their Euro talents. Better to sign with them out of reputation alone.

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

TimAllen

Feb 1, 2010
Bay Area
This is literally a free shot at a decent NHL player. I love that the Sharks sign so many of these guys. They've essentially been the Sharks depth over the last couple of years.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
You mean that treatment where they got to play in the NHL, make a ton more than they would have in a Euro league, and be on national/worldwide broadcasts for their friends and family to watch back home?

I know that it’s hard to consider, but guys like Goodrow, Melker, Haley, all know exactly what this is. If you listen to them, there really isn’t much in the way of ego here. They know they aren’t future Hall of Fame players. Do you want to play 20 games a season in the NHL or 60 games a season in Liiga for 70-100k a year. Tim Heed has probably made close to a million dollars in his time with us. People think he is pissed about his lack of playing time. Not even.
I dont disagree with you but the money is off. If we talk about the money top Liiga players make abou 300-400k a year in dollars. Tim Heed would've made that and alot more in KHL.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
It is my favorite aspect of this organization, while most teams get caught up in where they are or where they aren't and what happened this and that. Here the Sharks are still adding noticeable players in the thick of things.

Reactions: Alaskanice

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
SJ is a great destination for Free Agents and the reason Dougie is so good at getting them is because he patterns himself after Holland's tenure in Detroit. Year after year, Holland's would stack his scouting staff in europe and find gems either by FA or late rounders. Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk... list is loooooong.

Dougie has invested in Euro scouting a ton. Then, he brings them in, and gives them a real chance. Melker, Donkey, Sorensen, Heed, Simek, Radil, Suomela all got NHL time, and others got a totally fair opportunity, which is all you can ask.

Also, dougie has done the same with college and junior FAs. Goodrow, Middleton, Carpenter, Dell, Tennyson, McCarthy, and others all got NHL looks too.

All FA's know that the sharks are a meritocracy. If you play well, you will get a chance. It's unlikely that dougie will pass you up for some established FA if you can outplay that guy. You have to prove yourself capable of being a good NHL player of course, nothing is free, but if you do, you will get to play and you will get to stick. And, I would add, that every year there is good camp competition.

As a free agent from Europe, especially not a #1 Free agent, All you want is a legit shot to make the NHL. The sharks have consistently provided that. No question.

Lastly, the sharks development team with Sommer has done pretty well grooming NHL players, and the culture of the sharks is a great one. Its a winning culture with good leadership at the NHL and AHL levels. It's a culture that rewards work and talent, not last name or reputation. The fact that the sharks will bench you if you dont play well enough is a good thing.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
A lot of people have speculated that the Sharks’ recent treatment of players like Suomela, Radil, and Donskoi will make future EuroFAs reluctant to sign with us but that doesn’t really seem to be the case.

Yeah, I think "Suomela got demoted to the AHL, fire Wilson" crowd are simps. Each one of those guys got a chance at the NHL with the Sharks, and Donskoi, Sorenson, Karlsson, and to a lesser degree Simek and Heed have parlayed their opportunities into NHL careers. As a player, that opportunity is all you can ask for.

Wilson also has a long track record of doing right by players who are not happy with their roles via trade and waivers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Also, similar to Toronto, Ottawa, and Winnipeg, the AHL franchise is located in the "same" city(/region), so you don't have to change housing to go up/down.

The weather doesn't hurt either.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I cannot really find much about this guy. Maybe some of our Finnish guys can dig in .. :D

Yeah, I think "Suomela got demoted to the AHL, fire Wilson" crowd are simps. Each one of those guys got a chance at the NHL with the Sharks, and Donskoi, Sorenson, Karlsson, and to a lesser degree Simek and Heed have parlayed their opportunities into NHL careers. As a player, that opportunity is all you can ask for.

Wilson also has a long track record of doing right by players who are not happy with their roles via trade and waivers.

I think the biggest reasons players are send back to the Cuda is lack of physical play. PDB has shown that he favors those type of players. If a player is not producing points the next thing PDB looks at is physicality. After that it is defensive play.

Also, I think one reason Euro players will sign here is because we have shown that we will give them a real chance at earning a spot. If they don't earn one in training camp, then it could be simply producing on the Cuda. I think for players looking to make a leap to the NHL, that is the one chance the really want.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

DenOnde

Dec 5, 2016
Finland
His nickname is Tony "the killer" Sund so I am guessing he's not a soft guy.
He isn't super soft. But very far from being tough...If he puts on a few pounds and learns to use his frame i could see him getting a shot at the big league.
Defensivly not very strong but has good vision and is a smooth skater. He is the kind of player you use when you need to score a goal in the last minute, not if you want to protect a lead.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I'm sure the team subsidizes housing costs. AHLers don't make a whole lot, less than engineers in some cases. No way the Cuda could sign guys if they didnt.

That makes the most sense since there are quite a few neighborhoods where guys like Dillon would be considered on the poorer side in the bay :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AIUI, AHLers essentially live in Cuda-paid for rentals. (One reason why the Cuda have had an apartment complex as a sponsor in past seasons.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad