Prospect Info: Sharks Select William Eklund at 7th Overall *Update* returned to Djurgarden

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I don't think it's so much that Eklund fell as much as it was that the other teams zeroed in on particular prospects offering the thing they wanted.

The Ducks went with McTavish because they valued the more rugged offensive dimension. The Devils went with Hughes because bloodlines, The Blue Jackets took Johnson because they're willing to gamble on his higher upside even with the greater risk, the Red Wings wanted Edvinsson because he's a defender, and that, by process of elimination, allowed Eklund to get to the Sharks.

I don't think it has anything to necessarily do with Eklund's own failings.
Pretty much that, it was said by Murray there was the #1 guy and then 8 great prospects in the top9. Each team had their favorite of that 8. Beniers goes 2 because top center and safest pick(Seattle can't afford to see its debut pick bust).
Everyone in the top9 came out winners, even Arizona.

Still I think Eklund will produce the most points at the NHL level of this class. Johnson and Eklund are like Zegras types, such brilliant playmakers. Beniers gives off Bergeron vibes.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
So, I'm going to assume Eklund played wing cause he wasnt ready to play C in the SHL and he will be our #1 C of the future

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I mean, Doug Wilson literally said this, yes.

Well if Doug Wilson said it, it has to happen! Makes you think he should have said every pick he has ever made will be a #1 C or #1 D. Perhaps he could simply say we will win the cup

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well if Doug Wilson said it, it has to happen! Makes you think he should have said every pick he has ever made will be a #1 C or #1 D. Perhaps he could simply say we will win the cup
There’s a lot of interview coverage that talks about the sharks projecting him as a center, not just as a wing. Things can always change, however, it is what was said by both DW senior and junior.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Almost everyone I see said this guy wouldn’t go past 4th, why did everyone pass on him?

IMO just the top 6 teams looking for their best fit.

As for why Eklund wasn't the clear cut #1, he will likely need to adapt to the NA game. He plays a grinding style, has quick actions and good agility. But, isn't that big or explosive and the ice will get smaller, the defenders faster/quicker and stronger.

He certainly has the IQ and tools to thrive. And the Shark's system fits well with his strengths. But there's work to do.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
There’s a lot of interview coverage that talks about the sharks projecting him as a center, not just as a wing. Things can always change, however, it is what was said by both DW senior and junior.
A few of the pre draft scouting articles said he projects as a center in the NHL due to play style as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is that his Sharks number or just draft year? If it's his number... Peter Forsberg!!

I think it's just the draft year. He's been wearing 72 with Djurgarden and on the national team.

I hope he keeps 72 as his #, very unique.

How dare you, sir. By omission and fake claim of uniqueness you have besmirched the names of two iconic Sharks.

I believe you owe an apology to both Brandon Mashinter and the illustrious, immortal Tim Heed.

:sarcasm:

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
The one thing that concerns me is actually his readiness to play in the league and the chance we rush him. He’s probably the only one in the top 10, I read, that is close to NHL ready. Meier was too, which was one of the key reasons DW pointed out when we got him. I dunno what’s up with Meier lately, but I hope it wasn’t that we rushed him. That all said, Eklund is projected/is much better than Meier though without his build.

Reactions: themelkman

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
The one thing that concerns me is actually his readiness to play in the league and the chance we rush him. He’s probably the only one in the top 10, I read, that is close to NHL ready. Meier was too, which was one of the key reasons DW pointed out when we got him. I dunno what’s up with Meier lately, but I hope it wasn’t that we rushed him. That all said, Eklund is projected/is much better than Meier though without his build.
DW made it sound like he thinks he has a chance next year to crack the roster. I think he could, but he’d be better off staying in the SHL or AHL, but I do believe he’d be similar to or a bit better than Leonard was last year. It would also be nothing like rushing Timo because Timo was playing against teenagers and went to playing against men, but Eklund is already established playing against men in the 3rd best league in the world.

Think it’s smartest to bring him over in the 22-23 season, but being used to playing against men and his skill level, it probably wouldn’t hinder him too much coming over next year.

Reactions: themelkman and Cas

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Another pure HF thing is how his prospect thread stopped getting bumped as soon as he got selected by SJ when it was a constantly updated thread until he went to SJ. If any other team with a bigger fan base would have drafted him, he’d be hyped up as the second coming of Jesus.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Another pure HF thing is how his prospect thread stopped getting bumped as soon as he got selected by SJ when it was a constantly updated thread until he went to SJ. If any other team with a bigger fan base would have drafted him, he’d be hyped up as the second coming of Jesus.
Thats normal. He will not be high up on any top 50 prospect lists because hes in SJ. That always happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad