Prospect Info: Sharks Select William Eklund at 7th Overall *Update* returned to Djurgarden

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
There were stretches of games where things were clicking and the forwards could actually catch passes and the transition attack actually did look pretty good. The problem that would pop up after a while seemed to be the actual in-zone play on both ends. Either they would get the puck into the offensive zone and then immediately turn the puck over or they couldn't recover the puck in the defensive zone. I suspect it's more related to the lack of execution from the forwards than from the defense personally.

Yeah, I agree. I know we love to hate on our D but there were countless times when guys either couldn’t catch Karlsson’s pass or just had no clue where to go to get open. I’ve mentioned this before but it’s one thing I noticed with Barabanov - he’s a smart player and he got a lot of EK passes for it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don’t remember when there was this much hype around a Sharks player. I’m really psyched to watch him play. Intellectually, I know it’s probably best for him to wait a year and get more practice in the SHL, but I selfishly want him to make the team out of camp just to see him play. Curious if he at least gets a 9 game taste. Gives him a feel for the NHL and he’s already played with enough adults to handle it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don’t remember when there was this much hype around a Sharks player. I’m really psyched to watch him play. Intellectually, I know it’s probably best for him to wait a year and get more practice in the SHL, but I selfishly want him to make the team out of camp just to see him play. Curious if he at least gets a 9 game taste. Gives him a feel for the NHL and he’s already played with enough adults to handle it.

Probably Michalek and Bernier.

There was a decent bit of excitement around Merkley and Meier, but with the former, there were concerns about his attitude and with the latter, there were concerns about losing out on Barzal/Rantanen.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Stutzle had a similar pre-draft year playing against men in Germany, so perhaps there is a chance that Eklund starts in San Jose if he has a great summer. Maybe it will depend on what happens with Kane.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

There was a decent bit of excitement around Merkley and Meier, but with the former, there were concerns about his attitude and with the latter, there were concerns about losing out on Barzal/Rantanen.

And then Michalek broke his knees. Yeah, I remember more irritation with the Meier pick (which in retrospect… yeah..). Eklund seems to excite everyone equally.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I think I read that he’s def going back to SEL after camp, regardless of how well he does. We don’t need to rush him. We’re better off being crap this season and I’d rather not have him be a part of it :)

(I actually don’t think we’re crap - but we have some work to do on and off the ice)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
And then Michalek broke his knees. Yeah, I remember more irritation with the Meier pick (which in retrospect… yeah..). Eklund seems to excite everyone equally.

While the knee injury didn't help, that's not why Michalek didn't really live up to expectations. Despite his high-level physical tools, he had limited hockey sense.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think I read that he’s def going back to SEL after camp, regardless of how well he does. We don’t need to rush him. We’re better off being crap this season and I’d rather not have him be a part of it :)

(I actually don’t think we’re crap - but we have some work to do on and off the ice)

I might be mistaken but I think that was firmly his plan before he was drafted and I think even right after DW Jr. was like yeaaah probably, but now they’re kinda towing the line.

I think 90% chance he goes back but if he goes into camp and outplays a bunch of guys and looks amazing, I think they’d be hard pressed to send him down. An Eklund that makes the team is an Eklund that performs at a top 6 level which suddenly changes the team dynamic.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

I was excited for Merks

pissed bout Meier

I had Barzal then rat. In that order. But I would’ve been happy with either

Reactions: BigDmitriy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think 90% chance he goes back but if he goes into camp and outplays a bunch of guys and looks amazing, I think they’d be hard pressed to send him down.

This is doubly true because it looks like there's going to be fierce competition for roster spots. You have players like Gregor and Gambrell who have solidified themselves as 4th-liners, and then there will be dark horses like Dahlin, Barabanov, Balcers, Leonard, and Chekhovich angling for a top-9 spot. Not to mention players like Pederson, Kellman, Merkley, and Truchon-Viel.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Yea Eklund is the most excited I've been for a pick immediately after being drafted, probably since Marleau. I think the most excited I was for a Sharks pick leading up to his first game was Tomas Hertl though. There was some legit hype coming into that season when he and Nieto debuted and we all remember what happened in those first few games.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If he doesn't miss time with COVID and played in the WJC I think he would've challenged Power and Beniers for a spot in the top-2. And like those 2, they're probably the only 3 in the draft class that should be even thought of as being NHL ready.

On a cool note too, a lot of Swedish fans think he's going to play top line center at this years WJC, and the same with Bordeleau for team USA. Nice to see there is atleast a chance either one of them translates to C.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If he doesn't miss time with COVID and played in the WJC I think he would've challenged Power and Beniers for a spot in the top-2. And like those 2, they're probably the only 3 in the draft class that should be even thought of as being NHL ready.

On a cool note too, a lot of Swedish fans think he's going to play top line center at this years WJC, and the same with Bordeleau for team USA. Nice to see there is atleast a chance either one of them translates to C.
I’d imagine Sweden tries to ice a Holtz-Eklund-Raymond line which is disgusting and should just dominate everyone

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
If this kid can pull a Marleau or Vlasic at 18, I am good with that but I it was my understanding that he would stay in Sweden for another year. Money talks...

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If this kid can pull a Marleau or Vlasic at 18, I am good with that but I it was my understanding that he would stay in Sweden for another year. Money talks...
You also gotta consider he was almost eligible for the 2020 draft, so with that in mind it's not totally unrealistic for someone of his talent level and age to be able to make a team with San Jose's offense.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I read a thing about a year ago about how some teams are shying away from that with Euros.

Camps in Russia are already open. Finland and Sweden open soon. All have their seasons start before the NHL. Guys come to camp, stick around to November for their 9 games, then get sent back to teams that already have a bunch of games played and relying on their veterans that the returning teens have a hard time fitting in. I think the Habs specifically said it's something that they don't do any more after having it be a bump for a couple of prospects.

I honestly don't think any of the 2021 draftees should play in the NHL this year. Could a couple of them? Yeah, but far better to dominate in another league before skipping to the NHL... especially after a pandemic year.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Vlasic actually played a year in junior after being drafted before making the NHL as a 19 year old. Michalek is the last 1st round pick to come straight to the NHL after being drafted, of course he tore his ACL after 2 games.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Vlasic actually played a year in junior after being drafted before making the NHL as a 19 year old. Michalek is the last 1st round pick to come straight to the NHL after being drafted, of course he tore his ACL after 2 games.

I’ve always wondered if Vlasic was stunted by sticking with the Sharks so early. I don’t really have a grasps at how player development works, but I’ve long hypothesized that another year in junior to focus on expanding his offensive game might have resulted in a more complete player - vs allowing him to stick so early on a team that sorely needed his defensive abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad