Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The 3 pillars on D?

You mean

Old
Older
Oldest

???

EK is 29, so still effective. Vlasic doesn't have to put up numbers or be mobile, just has to use his head. Burns might go downhill but we'll see.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
EK is 29, so still effective. Vlasic doesn't have to put up numbers or be mobile, just has to use his head. Burns might go downhill but we'll see.
Burns HAS gone downhill. If you think Karlsson is effective, man you'da loved him 3 years ago

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Burns HAS gone downhill. If you think Karlsson is effective, man you'da loved him 3 years ago

2017–18Ottawa SenatorsNHL 7195362
2018–19San Jose SharksNHL 5334245
2019–20San Jose SharksNHL 5663440
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
These are fine numbers for EK. Similar numbers for Burns. I don't watch SJ regularly but they have a decent roster on the backend. They can turn it around next season.

Not ready to "stick a fork" in them

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
That team desperately needs to move on from Thornton and get a fresh start via a few re-tooling trades.

Couture, Hertl, Meier, Labanc is a respectable forward core to build around but they'll need to draft well. That Karlsson trade really backfired and it will set them back.

Only Couts is a first line forward out of that group, and probably not even that on a contending team.

SJ lacks several high end forwards, probably bottom-5 in the NHL.

I mean, no disrespect, but which teams have a worse top-9.

Hell, who has a worse top-12...

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Only Couts is a first line forward out of that group, and probably not even that on a contending team.

SJ lacks several high end forwards, probably bottom-5 in the NHL.

I mean, no disrespect, but which teams have a worse top-9.

Hell, who has a worse top-12...
Bro. Hertl is the best player on the Sharks bar none so the fact that you glazed over that and called him a 2nd liner is laughable.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I don’t like seeing injuries for players but I am enjoying the misery of the Sharks. I’m bummed they won’t be making the playoffs though.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Bro. Hertl is the best player on the Sharks bar none so the fact that you glazed over that and called him a 2nd liner is laughable.

God willin' he'll be the same type of player when he comes back because he was a very fun player to watch and he was always up there as one of the best Sharks. His injury scares me though. Very few people can come back from a torn acl and mcl much less someone who wrecked his knee earlier in his career.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Your post adds nothing nothing of value to this thread, if there was a delete button I'd tell you to use it

Karlsson is not a top 3 defenseman overall, and he is certainly far from top 10 defensively.

Pietrangelo
Josi
Doughty
Hedman
Carlson
Hamilton
Jones
Slavin
Werenski
Provorov
Makar
Hughes
Heiskanen

Have all surpassed him

I sure as hell would not trade DeAngelo straight up for him either.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Feel bad for the way EK's career is going in regards to injuries but man is it great to see that fan base suffer more and more.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Your post adds nothing nothing of value to this thread, if there was a delete button I'd tell you to use it

I'm not spreading absolute non-sense like you though. Maybe you need to stay up late and catch some west coast games there bud.

Karlsson is not a top 3 defenseman overall, and he is certainly far from top 10 defensively.

Pietrangelo
Josi
Doughty
Hedman
Carlson
Hamilton
Jones
Slavin
Werenski
Provorov
Makar
Hughes
Heiskanen

Have all surpassed him

I sure as hell would not trade DeAngelo straight up for him either.

The list is a lot bigger. Purely on defense just off the top of my head I'd add people like Chabot, Braun, Suter, Weber, Lindell, Ekholm, Hjalmarsson, Chychrun, Giordano, Pesce etc.

Even on his own team, Vlasic is better defensively. And Vlasic is not the same Vlasic of old who was one of, if not the best shutdown dman in his time. If you're just talking about defense, I don't think he's even in the top 60. He single handedly creates goals with his style of play; unfortunately as he has slowed down a bit, he creates more against than for. It's no wonder the Sharks are playing a decent defensive game today with Karlsson out. They actually have 6 guys making an effort.

I don't even like DeAngelo as a player, I think he's super overrated, but I wouldn't trade him for Karlsson either, pretty much on the basis of cap space per what they provide to a winning team.

Reactions: DrewNaughty

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Quite a fitting thread title. 17m cap space with Hertl & EK on LTIR, if there's one GM able to pull off a ridiculous win in such a situation, it's Doug Wilson. Not saying the Sharks will be able to turn things around in their favour but they could very well make some interesting moves.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Just me or there are more long-term injuries to star players than usual this year?
Eh, kind of normal. Besides, there's only about 7 weeks left in the season so at this point semi-serious injuries are likely to be season-ending only because there's so little time left.

I think the bye weeks are doing more harm than good, especially tying the Bye weeks to the All Star Game so you have a week and a half to two weeks off. I would do away with bye weeks let teams have more time off as the season goes, somehow.
There's really an argument for smarter scheduling here. While you're correct that the bye weeks are causing an issue [5 mandatory days off just compresses the rest of the schedule, especially post-ASG], a chunk of this could be avoided by limiting 3-in-4 scheduling, allowing 4-in-6 only in exceptional circumstances, and prohibiting 5-in-7 completely. If you're playing on back-to-back nights you should be getting 2 days off after the 2nd night.

Will the NHLPA think about that? Probably not, they'll ask for meaningless shit yet again and try to come up with new "solutions" that only cause more problems.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad