Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2019-20: 3/7 Knyzhov and DeSimone recalled

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I still don't understand how this board can be so sure that deboer will not bench ferraro for prout when ferraro gets back from his injury.

Every single lineup decision he has ever made when it comes to decent players for so called gritty face punchers has been the opposite of what every one expects to happen.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The rage over Prout vs Heed when both suck is quite comical. Heed isn't good, Prout isn't any worse. Do you want an uncrustable or a poorly made PB&J? They both taste the same
they just wont 4 in a row, played 2 games in a row where they looked like an actual hockey team.

Decent Coach leaves things in place
Pete swaps players out just because hes scared or something, also note that the players being swapped out actually played well.

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Basically: yeah he played well but he was bad before

PDB - he played some good games in a row but you know you have to string a few good games in a row but I wont actually let you do that so ride pine even though he did exactly what i asked him to do and play a few good games in a row

:confused::huh:

I dont even care its his reasoning that is completely suspect at best.

"Im not sitting Heed because of his play I just want Prout to get back in there to see where he is, its also nice to have some size against a team like the ducks"

That would be a normal statement

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

So litterally his response is you need to put more then 2 good games in a row to stay in the lineup but i won't give you that chance so i am going to bench you to lose that process that you found and that works.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Heed played with so much confidence the last 2 games. Now Deboer will destroy it. He played well and still gets benched so what can he do? Deboer's favoritism is annoying. I know people are saying not to worry about Ferraro but we were sure that Haley was only gonna play 5-6 games and not be a regular in the lineup and we were wrong.

That's the job of a #7 NHL defenseman. Heed has had PLENTY of opportunities to seize a more permanent role, but he hasn't done so. He was beaten out by a 20-year-old rookie. So yes, he has to able to handle sitting out a game, and when called upon, he better respond. For sure, Heed has had a decent string of games (against some weak teams, I might add), but he had some horrible games before that. Prout has more of a clean slate.

The really questionable lineup decision is benching Gregor, who has looked good and is trending upwards), for Radil. Radil is at least competent defensively and should sub in for Melker Karlsson.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That's the job of a #7 NHL defenseman. Heed has had PLENTY of opportunities to seize a more permanent role, but he hasn't done so. He was beaten out by a 20-year-old rookie. So yes, he has to able to handle sitting out a game, and when called upon, he better respond. For sure, Heed has had a decent string of games (against some weak teams, I might add), but he had some horrible games before that. Prout has more of a clean slate.

The really questionable lineup decision is benching Gregor, who has looked good and is trending upwards), for Radil. Radil is at least competent defensively and should sub in for Melker Karlsson.

His last 2 games were against nashville top 10 in the league and oilers top 5 in the league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

So now Nashville is a weak team and the team at the top of the division are weak teams? If Prout has a clean slate then PDB is not doing a good job as a coach. Prout has a pretty lengthy NHL career to glean information from. How many opportunities has he had to establish a permanent spot in the lineup that he has at this point failed at? Hint: it's more than Heed.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

"You need to string together more than a couple of quality games to solidify your spot in the lineup, so I'm going to insert a player who has yet to prove he is an NHL caliber defenseman in 263 games played over a 9 year period."

- Peter Deboer, probably

Reactions: BigDmitriy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The rage over Prout vs Heed when both suck is quite comical. Heed isn't good, Prout isn't any worse. Do you want an uncrustable or a poorly made PB&J? They both taste the same

By your logic, the Sharks could sign a beer leaguer straight out of the Sharks Ice Hockey league, and if DeBoer played that beer leaguer over Heed, any criticism of his decision would be “comical rage” because neither are good. Surely you see a flaw in that logic, no?

jarr92

May 7, 2013
By your logic, the Sharks could sign a beer leaguer straight out of the Sharks Ice Hockey league, and if DeBoer played that beer leaguer over Heed, any criticism of his decision would be “comical rage” because neither are good. Surely you see a flaw in that logic, no?

He is saying the difference between Prout and Heed is negligible. The difference between Heed and an average beer leaguer is extremely large. This is a ridiculous and obvious exaggeration.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He is saying the difference between Prout and Heed is negligible. The difference between Heed and an average beer leaguer is extremely large. This is an embarrassingly obvious exaggeration.

No, he's not saying the difference between them is negligible. He never went into the degree which either player sucks. He just classified them by a binary variable of either "suck" or "don't suck", and decided that since both of them "suck", any complaining about playing one over the other is "rage" which is "comical".

That same logic could be applied to Dalton Prout and a beer leaguer, since both of them also both "suck".

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I feel like what will happen is Ferraro is going to come back into the lineup, Heed is going to be the #7/8, and everyone will bemoan how Heed has terrible luck. Like, that's my issue with Heed...he's had plenty of chances. Forget in previous years, but just this season when there was a golden opportunity to seize a spot, he wasn't able to do it. From an organizational standpoint, Heed has had enough turns and other players should get a chance. I am not at all sanguine about Prout's ability to contribute, but when it comes to the Sharks and Heed, the results are mostly in.

Just looking at the AHL numbers, why hasn't DeSimone gotten a shot?

jarr92

May 7, 2013
No, he's not saying the difference between them is negligible. He never went into the degree which either player sucks. He just classified them by a binary variable of either "suck" or "don't suck", and decided that since both of them "suck", any complaining about playing one over the other is "rage" which is "comical".

That same logic could be applied to Dalton Prout and a beer leaguer, since both of them also both "suck".

Are we really going to be so pedantic that we are analyzing the value behind the word use of "suck"? Is it the offseason yet? So just to clarify.. By your logic one must say "Dalton Prout and Tim Heed suck in a comparable amount for a #7 NHL defenseman" for it to make sense to you?

I feel like you're being purposely obtuse to make a point. He even says "Heed isn't good, Prout isn't any worse." If things only make sense to you in terms of binary value, one could argue Heed = "Isn't good", Prout = "Isn't any worse" then "isn't good." So by that logic, "Isn't good" is a #7 NHL defenseman (Heed). Which means Prout is greater than or equal to "Isn't good", which means he is saying the value of Prout is greater than or equal to a #7 NHL defenseman.

Obviously feel free to continue feigning ignorance though.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Are we really going to be so pedantic that we are analyzing the value behind the word use of "suck"? Is it the offseason yet? So just to clarify.. By your logic one must say "Dalton Prout and Tim Heed suck in a comparable amount for a #7 NHL defenseman" for it to make sense to you?

I feel like you're being purposely obtuse to make a point. He even says "Heed isn't good, Prout isn't any worse." If things only make sense to you in terms of binary value, one could argue Heed = "Isn't good", Prout = "Isn't any worse" then "isn't good." So by that logic, "Isn't good" is a #7 NHL defenseman (Heed). Which means Prout is greater than or equal to "Isn't good", which means he is saying the value of Prout is greater than or equal to a #7 NHL defenseman.

Obviously feel free to continue feigning ignorance though.

Saying that Prout isn’t any worse than Heed is also an utterly terrible assessment.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
"You need to string together more than a couple of quality games to solidify your spot in the lineup, so I'm going to insert a player who has yet to prove he is an NHL caliber defenseman in 263 games played over a 9 year period."

- Peter Deboer, probably

So basically Heed has to play like a superstar in order to stay in the lineup. A consistant superstar at that. How many Sharks this season has been able to string together more than a couple of quality games? Prout was horrible last game and will probally be back in there Saturday night. And this was the guy who played Demelo game in and game out despite him being horrible in 90% of the games he played.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Saying that Prout isn’t any worse than Heed is also an utterly terrible assessment.

While I definitely agree with you, and can absolutely see PDB overusing Prout after the Haley/Donskoi situation continued into the playoffs last year, Heed is particularly "not good" against heavy teams like Anaheim, St. Louis, Vegas. The problem is he is never going to get better being scratched or playing 5-10 minutes a night against those teams.

I'm guessing PDB doesn't think Heed will be getting much better, which is why he is fine with not developing him well. He should definitely go to a team lacking offensive RD's if he ever wants to reach his potential, IMO it will never happen on the Sharks.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

Lol I mean they both suck and are more or less equal in what they bring to the table as far as overall impact to the game. Come on...Heed plays all of 5 minutes a game because PDB doesn't trust him because he f***s up constantly. 2 "good" games means jack

Inb4 "well here is why Heeds carwashes per minute is actually .5 better than Prout and his expected carwash % is top 5 on the team". No Demelo means Heed has to fill some big shoes on Pete's car

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lol I mean they both suck and are more or less equal in what they bring to the table as far as overall impact to the game. Come on...Heed plays all of 5 minutes a game because PDB doesn't trust him because he ****s up constantly. 2 "good" games means jack

Inb4 "well here is why Heeds carwashes per minute is actually .5 better than Prout and his expected carwash % is top 5 on the team"

Heed hasn’t been very good this season. Prout is awful. You don’t really need any kind of stats - advanced or rudimentary - to see that.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Heed hasn’t been very good this season. Prout is awful. You don’t really need any kind of stats - advanced or rudimentary - to see that.
Therefore both bring little to the table so whether PDB ices one or the other has relatively no impact on the outcome of the game. Meaning one is an uncrustable and one is a poorly made pb&j. Sure, one may be a little cleaner to eat but in the end, it doesn't really matter because neither will play when Ferraro is back

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Therefore both bring little to the table so whether PDB ices one or the other has relatively no impact on the outcome of the game. Meaning one is an uncrustable and one is a poorly made pb&j. Sure, one may be a little cleaner to eat but in the end, it doesn't really matter because neither will play when Ferraro is back

I really hate this kind of logic.

I mean, first of all, I think you might be wrong that this decision has relatively no impact on the game. Icing Prout over Heed could very possibly have a significant impact on the game and if it will, that impact will almost certainly be negative.

Second of all, why do you care if people complain about it? If you yourself can acknowledge that the decision actively harms the team, then what’s the big deal? It’s a hockey discussion forum, and people are discussing their views on a decision that is being made by their coach. It’s not as if people are over reacting and making this out to be the end of the world. I mean, are we all not allowed to talk about something if you decide that it has relatively no impact? Can we not celebrate one win or lament one loss if you decide have “relatively no impact”? Can we only celebrate if the team wins the Stanley Cup, and can we only be sad if Hertl is out with a career ending injury? Please, let us all know exactly how we’re supposed to feel.

Lastly, I’d strongly caution you not to speak with such confidence about who will or won’t play when Ferraro gets back. That’s exactly what we heard about Micheal Haley and the playoffs, and low and behold, he played in favor of Joonas Donskoi. The gap between Donskoi and Haley is definitely bigger than the gap between Ferraro and Prout, so it’s not as if this kind of terrible decision made in the name of toughness would be unprecedented for this coach.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
This is a stupid argument you guys are having.

God tier: Burns>=Karlsson

Vlasic(when actually trying again playoff top lines)

Mid tier: Vlasic(when playing well)>=Ferraro

Dillon>=Vlasic(when playing awful)
Heed(when playing well)

Low tier: Heed

Suck tier: Carrick>=Prout

Fight me!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad