Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2019-20: 3/7 Knyzhov and DeSimone recalled

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Radil>>>Brodzinski

I mean our PK is one of the few things that seems to be working for us last year and this year so while I don't care for Karlsson or Goodrow, they at least bring some sense of value to the team. The hate they get is over blown

The hate that Goodrow gets is definitely overblown, while the hate that Melker gets is pretty spot on.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Radil>>>Brodzinski

The hate that Goodrow gets is definitely overblown, while the hate that Melker gets is pretty spot on.

How is Goodrow's hate overblown? The only difference between Melker and Goodrow is that Goodrow wins faceoffs and his contract is at least reflective of his worth. But the team wouldn't miss a beat if he wasn't there. Same with Karlsson.

Reactions: Hailand and WSS11

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
How is Goodrow's hate overblown? The only difference between Melker and Goodrow is that Goodrow wins faceoffs and his contract is at least reflective of his worth. But the team wouldn't miss a beat if he wasn't there. Same with Karlsson.

Goodie is a solid 4th line player. Big body, wins face offs like you said, scores some goals. Honestly, I don’t know how you could hate him. He’s a replacement level NHLer with some upside. Scored that big goal in game 7.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Goodie is a solid 4th line player. Big body, wins face offs like you said, scores some goals. Honestly, I don’t know how you could hate him. He’s a replacement level NHLer with some upside. Scored that big goal in game 7.
He scored that big goal after missing his assignment on the tying Vegas goal following that amazing PP. he had been benched most of that game because he was terrible. Erik also made an amazing play to set up Goodrow’s goal.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
He scored that big goal after missing his assignment on the tying Vegas goal following that amazing PP. he had been benched most of that game because he was terrible. Erik also made an amazing play to set up Goodrow’s goal.

I never said he was perfect, or even a top-6 player. Who would you rather have on a non-ELC at 925k a year? He’s better than Radil.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I guess Gambrell has become the new DeMelo or Semenov (My first year on this board this forum was ripping Alexi Semenov to shreds every game). Can't say I disagree with that feeling. If the team sucks this year, I would much rather see the young guys play and give everyone a fair shake.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I guess Gambrell has become the new DeMelo or Semenov (My first year on this board this forum was ripping Alexi Semenov to shreds every game). Can't say I disagree with that feeling. If the team sucks this year, I would much rather see the young guys play and give everyone a fair shake.
Fun fact: Alexi Semenov is still playing in the K

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Wilson better have something cooking that improves this team or he's praying nobody takes Brodzinski who looked good in his short stint. I'm at a loss for words with how things are being handled.

Reactions: Coily

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Goodrow is a much better player than Melker Karlsson, and as you mentioned, he makes less than half as much as Melker.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Because he still gives up more on the other end due to being terrible defensively as a center. His offense doesn't make up for that. And no, he has no upside. This is what he is. He's a utility player at replacement level that wins draws, hits some people, and kills some penalties at an average clip but he's not good defensively at evens which is where it counts the most. That big goal in game 7 was preceded by a -3 and being benched for pretty much all of it.

Goodrow is a much better player than Melker Karlsson, and as you mentioned, he makes less than half as much as Melker.

Define 'much better'. In my opinion, they're both crap overall that could be replaced by any of the kids and the team would be in the same spot at worst.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Because he still gives up more on the other end due to being terrible defensively as a center. His offense doesn't make up for that. And no, he has no upside. This is what he is. He's a utility player at replacement level that wins draws, hits some people, and kills some penalties at an average clip but he's not good defensively at evens which is where it counts the most. That big goal in game 7 was preceded by a -3 and being benched for pretty much all of it.

Define 'much better'. In my opinion, they're both crap overall that could be replaced by any of the kids and the team would be in the same spot at worst.

Last season with Goodrow on the ice the Sharks allowed 1.82 expected goals against per hour and 2.34 actual goals against per hour. With him off the ice they allowed 2.25 expected goals and 2.88 actual goals against per hour. Tough to say how much of that it is his doing but the regression models that do exist and attempt to isolate players from their competition all say that it is largely due to Goodrow’s impact and that he’s an excellent defensive player. He has his gaffes but he gets more hate than he deserves but he has a solid defensive impact on the whole. I don’t think he’s as good as the numbers show but I do think he’s a solid defensive player at worst and a good one at best which is more than I can say for Melker. And offensively, Goodrow again is at least decent for his role where as Melker is just horrible.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Team is losing to an average of 4 goals a game

Waive a replacement level forward so we can activate a 40 year old replacement level forward

Problem solved

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Last season with Goodrow on the ice the Sharks allowed 1.82 expected goals against per hour and 2.34 actual goals against per hour. With him off the ice they allowed 2.25 expected goals and 2.88 actual goals against per hour. Tough to say how much of that it is his doing but the regression models that do exist and attempt to isolate players from their competition all say that it is largely due to Goodrow’s impact and that he’s an excellent defensive player. He has his gaffes but he gets more hate than he deserves but he has a solid defensive impact on the whole. I don’t think he’s as good as the numbers show but I do think he’s a solid defensive player at worst and a good one at best which is more than I can say for Melker. And offensively, Goodrow again is at least decent for his role where as Melker is just horrible.

I don't value that sort of assessment of a player when they're a 4th liner especially in a system that is hyper-aggressive with its puck play and defensive pinching and giving up so many transition opportunities. He constantly loses his man when he's the center. Even if he gives up less than his teammates in a firewagon sort of system, he's not outscoring what he's giving up which is the entire point of the game. I agree that he doesn't deserve Melker-level hate but I don't believe he gets Melker-level hate. However, he is replaceable and easily so.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Am I the only one not mad about this move? Brodzinski was only ever going to be the 12-14th forward with this team, and even if he's a slight improvement over one of Radil, Melker, Bergmann, Gambrell or Yurtaikin, that doesn't change. If he clears waivers, we keep him around and give him a chance to play more games than he watches down in the AHL. If he doesn't, he gets what'll hopefully be a better chance to stay up in the NHL. It's a player-friendly move that doesn't cost us hardly anything. Brodz was never gonna be the difference between making and missing the playoffs or winning or losing the Cup finals. If giving him a chance elsewhere makes it more likely for UFAs to trust the org to do right by them, great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad