Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2019-20: 3/7 Knyzhov and DeSimone recalled

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
So, assuming Wiederer and Simek go to IR, we have our opening day roster, but still to be revealed who the healthy scratches are.

Based on practice today, Radil and Gambrell were on Suomela's line, so they will almost certainly be the scratches for tomorrow's game.

I kinda figured Radil would be one of the everyday RWs, but it probably depends on how Brodzinski plays with Hertl and Kane tomorrow.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Wiederer played, so sounds like he's healthy now.

This is the crew heading to Vegas tomorrow. Final cuts on Monday (final roster due Tuesday noon ET).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So, assuming Wiederer and Simek go to IR, we have our opening day roster, but still to be revealed who the healthy scratches are.

Based on practice today, Radil and Gambrell were on Suomela's line, so they will almost certainly be the scratches for tomorrow's game.

I kinda figured Radil would be one of the everyday RWs, but it probably depends on how Brodzinski plays with Hertl and Kane tomorrow.

Nope still need to cut 1 forward (minimum if they want 13 forwards) and 1 defensemen (if they want 7 defensemen).

But it will most likely be 2 forwards and 1 defensemen cut tomorrow or monday.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Nope still need to cut 1 forward (minimum if they want 13 forwards) and 1 defensemen (if they want 7 defensemen).

Hopefully that one Dman is Prout. Then Heed and Ferraro will get a couple of regular season games to prove who can stay up with the team once Simek returns.

I am guessing this will be the lineup on Wednesday.

Meier Couture Labanc
Kane Hertl Radi
Sorensen Jumbo Gambrell
Brodzinski(Bergmann) Goodrow Melker

Vlasic Burns
Dillon EK65
Ferraro Heed

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

The defense is set. Kniazev is going back to juniors and Simek goes on IR or Ferraro goes down. I have no idea who they cut up front but the easy call would be one of Bergmann or Yurtaikin. I'd like to keep them up if they can hack it and send Gambrell down. He's been mediocre to put it nicely.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This isn’t a comment on Suomela, because he clearly didn’t make enough of an impression to earn a roster spot, but watching Gambrell get force fed top 6 line mates all preseason and doing nothing in those opportunities while other players got 1 or zero opportunities in the same situation was stupid. It just seems like the spot was Gambrell’s to lose, and if he couldn’t hack it then Brodzinski or Radil would move up. Not exactly an open audition for a top 6 role. Bergmann and Yurtaykin haven’t been considered for the spot and they’ve both shown far more than Gambrell under more difficult circumstances.

HeiHouHauki

Jul 22, 2018
I wouldn’t be shocked if they trade Suomela out of courtesy to the player at this point.

This makes sense. Suomela had bigger pay check coming from HIFK when he signed to Sharks than what he gets paid at Barracuda. He isnt gonna play his best career years at AHL.

Maybe eastern conference works him better.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Sometimes, I wonder if the same faults Gambrell has (effort, girt, defensive responsibilities, etc) are the same as Suomela's, but Gambrell isn't as shiny and new. He also doesn't come with the "but what about future euro free-agents!?!?!" spiel.

Neither was wowing me, so I'm apparently ignorantly not outraged. He seems like another Goldobin experiment, which some people are still seemingly miffed about the org trading his bust ass.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Suomela did not play like he wanted an NHL spot. He needs to own the AHL and get lucky in terms of the Sharks getting a mid season injury in the center spot, or he’s back to Finland.

Reactions: slocal

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Sometimes, I wonder if the same faults Gambrell has (effort, girt, defensive responsibilities, etc) are the same as Suomela's, but Gambrell isn't as shiny and new. He also doesn't come with the "but what about future euro free-agents!?!?!" spiel.

Neither was wowing me, so I'm apparently ignorantly not outraged. He seems like another Goldobin experiment, which some people are still seemingly miffed about the org trading his bust ass.

You ARE apparently ignorant. Stop.

Reactions: slocal

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sarcasm, there are more than a few people who thought the org didn't give him a chance.
No not sarcasm at all. He was okay in the NHL nothing great and then started slowing down and then same in the AHL. In preseason he did nothing. Why did he deserve a chance?

Ah okay you meant your post was sarcasm. I understand now.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
This isn’t a comment on Suomela, because he clearly didn’t make enough of an impression to earn a roster spot, but watching Gambrell get force fed top 6 line mates all preseason and doing nothing in those opportunities while other players got 1 or zero opportunities in the same situation was stupid. It just seems like the spot was Gambrell’s to lose, and if he couldn’t hack it then Brodzinski or Radil would move up. Not exactly an open audition for a top 6 role. Bergmann and Yurtaykin haven’t been considered for the spot and they’ve both shown far more than Gambrell under more difficult circumstances.

Huge shocker given that PDB is the coach...he often plays favorites, and this is another example of it.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I don't think he likes Gambrell very much based on his comments.
Yeah, constantly demoting him after exactly 2 periods smells of DW intervention.

The kind of thing where he promises to demo him for at least 2 periods in a top 6 role to scouts on other teams kind of thing...

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Also true, but I meant more regarding Suomela.
I mean, the only player on the roster who was not a lock, and didn't play better than Suomela, and is still there is Gambrell. Based on how he played, I think it was pretty clear the team was giving him the benefit of the doubt and a free pass to get a second shot after the first wave of cuts. Based on how he did he could have easily been one of the first cuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->