GDT: Sharks @ Red Wings - "Street Fighter 2 Edition" -10/21 - 4:30 PM - CSN-CA, FS-D, KFOX

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Well, I agree with the point that it's much easier to point out a mistake by a defensemen when he pinches and gives up a 2-1 the other way than to point out that they can't get the puck out of their end. A 2-1 typically leads to a good scoring chance while the other team cycling the puck may not lead to anything at all.

To be fair.
2on1's are about a 15% chance which is very high. A pure breakaway is about 33%. But if the defense is not getting the puck out of the zone, it wears down the forwards having to play defense. It's worse if the other team forces a shift change when Niemi finally freezes the puck because the faceoff play is another high percentage chance. It is a question of balancing the very high percentage chance or two against a bunch of lower percentage but still quality chances plus the wear and tear on the forwards.

The best formula for judging a defenseman is the net of his play. Goals for versus goals against and tempering it with quality of competition within the hierarchy of the team's blueline. Basically team relative +/- tempered by qualcomp.

A small note on the Wings game. TM paired Hannan/Stuart at points as a second shutdown pairing. They don't get beat on position but they were absolutely woeful about getting the puck out. Part of it is not being able to chase down loose pucks as effectively as the quicker guys as well. I almost want Stuart/Irwin to place the fastest of the leftovers with Irwin while Demers covers Hannan's lack of footspeed.

My take is that DW would be better off getting a vet like Oduya who can skate rather than a vet like Stuart. Both are defensive dmen but they are on two different planets for skating. IMO, the league is heading towards a place where the ideal is one positional dman who is less than fleet of foot, is physical and a shotblocker. Maybe a second one as the 7th dman. The rest need to have some footspeed whether they are defensive or offensive dmen. It is better if they are two-way (TWDs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->