Sharks Re-Brand: Old Meets New

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm a designer by trade and have had this sitting around for a while. This was just a personal project I did for fun and wasn't planning on sharing it but in recent light of the original jerseys being voted best NHL jerseys in Hockey News, I thought I'd share my re-brand I did on the Sharks that was based on the original jerseys and colors.

This started because I really love the original colors and logo, but was never really a fan of the original shark illustration. I liked the new logo, but was strongly against the over-use of orange and felt there were way too many edges being used (I guess to get a somewhat 3d look). So, I removed the orange from the brand and took my favorite elements of old and new and came up with this:

sharks-logo-redesign.png

And then of course placing this logo on the original jersey design with the fin shoulder patch:

jersey-set.png

jersey.png

Love it/Hate it?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Very nice. I slightly prefer the original version. It's one of my favourites of all time, but if the Sharks moved to this, it'd inspire me to finally buy a jersey.

Felys

Sep 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The problem with the new shark when you flatten it out that much is that it creates a LOT of negative space, the additional teal accents give the logo some pop. Could it do without the orange? sure it could, but to make it a flat black gives it a very dull appearance. There's a reason why the original logo had a white & black stroke to give the logo more definition.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
i like it, but i don't get why there is a teal inner stripe on the triangle on the right side of the logo but not the left

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
as a fellow designer, I appreciate your design. I've also done this similar concept in the past.

Good job.

Critiques: I'm not a fan of the elongated triangle shape. It feels weird with the shape of the shark. And the white stroke in the upper left is distracting. You already reduced the strokes of the shark (from the new logo), so I don't think you need to keep the white stroke there from the old one.

Thanks fort sharing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad