GDT: Sharks @ Rangers 4pm

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You know what it actually reminds me of? Burns when he first got here. For the first 2-3 months of Burns as a Shark, I remember thinking that he was much better defensively than advertised but wasn’t as much of an offensive gamebreaker as I expected. We all know how that ended up. Hopefully Karlsson will play up to his potential once he’s completely settled in.

To weigh in on the Burns/Karlsson debate, I agree with whoever it was that said that their bests are similar, but Karlsson’s worst is much better than Burns’ worst.

I don't think you will find many shark fans that would disagree with the take of best vs best and worst vs worst.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This is still one of the best teams the sharks have ever iced and potentially could be the best team iced period since the 1st lockout.

It is just early season hiccups and even with them i don't think there has been many points in the games so far where they haven't been the better team.

Even last night when they were sitting back a little they were still pushing the play for the better part of that 3rd period.

I think they are one of the best iced, but this team also has one of the worst starts that I recall.

They weren't pushing it in my view. Took too long to get off the shot on a pass which allowed the goalie and coverage to adjust.

Sharks are 3rd worse in the league on shots per goal, and 4th worse in the league on shots per goal against.

For this team, that's bad but it's early. However, I think we'll see this as a reoccurring chronic problem like Sharks of season past. Particularly with weaker teams.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think they are one of the best iced, but this team also has one of the worst starts that I recall.

They weren't pushing it in my view. Took too long to get off the shot on a pass which allowed the goalie and coverage to adjust.

Sharks are 3rd worse in the league on shots per goal, and 4th worse in the league on shots per goal against.

For this team, that's bad but it's early. However, I think we'll see this as a reoccurring chronic problem like Sharks of season past. Particularly with weaker teams.

I think you're making something out of nothing when it comes to shots per goal. That stat doesn't mean really anything four or five games in.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Glad to see Burns getting some support, although he still certainly has his detractors. For me it's obvious who has been the better player so far this year between Burns and Karlsson, and thats Burns. That being said, were 5 games in and EK65 is still getting acclimated. I'm not saying EK has been bad, but certainly not great, while Burns has shown his flashes.

I do think EK65 will continue to improve throughout the season and end the year as our best overall player. And like previously noted I agree with the idea that Karlsson and Burns have similar highs, but Burns lows are quite a bit lower. But with that being said, EK65 has made plays this year that get looked over, that half this board would absolutely eviscerate Burns for. I think EK65 is an elite player and I'd be happy to give him a Doughty deal to stay, but most this board acts like he walks on water and is immune to mistakes while acting like Burns is just two day old garbage now.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You know what it actually reminds me of? Burns when he first got here. For the first 2-3 months of Burns as a Shark, I remember thinking that he was much better defensively than advertised but wasn’t as much of an offensive gamebreaker as I expected. We all know how that ended up. Hopefully Karlsson will play up to his potential once he’s completely settled in.

To weigh in on the Burns/Karlsson debate, I agree with whoever it was that said that their bests are similar, but Karlsson’s worst is much better than Burns’ worst.

I totally agree with Karlsson playing the way Burns did when he joined us. I am seeing similarities on the way the team not being used to the player as well. I remember when Burns started making his quick passes, they were way too hard for the other guys as they were not used to such heat on the passes. They needed to learn to adapt to that as well. Another thing is learning the tendencies of Karlsson as well. There have been quite a few times where I can see Karlsson waiting for someone to give him the puck because he has found an open space but the players are not even looking that way (especially on the PP). I think the players will need to build that trust (and quickly I hope).

We all know that Karlsson is a premier/elite D-man. But the is moved to a completely new team with a different system and players. They both need to learn from each other.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I totally agree with Karlsson playing the way Burns did when he joined us. I am seeing similarities on the way the team not being used to the player as well. I remember when Burns started making his quick passes, they were way too hard for the other guys as they were not used to such heat on the passes. They needed to learn to adapt to that as well. Another thing is learning the tendencies of Karlsson as well. There have been quite a few times where I can see Karlsson waiting for someone to give him the puck because he has found an open space but the players are not even looking that way (especially on the PP). I think the players will need to build that trust (and quickly I hope).

We all know that Karlsson is a premier/elite D-man. But the is moved to a completely new team with a different system and players. They both need to learn from each other.

Not to be too homerish, but it makes me think of Ryan Merkley too. He has that Karlsson-esque ability to see passes so creatively that it seems like they’re watching the game from above, but none of his teammates are anticipating them.

I think the issue right now is this: in Ottawa, his teammates’ strategy was essentially “get open and get ready to receive a pass from Karlsson”. The Sharks have much more structure than that and aren’t used to the play revolving around a single player. When Burns takes over games, he really doesn’t need his teammates to do anything. He’s a one-man wrecking crew. On the other hand, When Karlsson takes over games, he makes his teammates better by setting them up in good situations. But it’s on his teammates to put themselves in good situations in the first place and be ready to receive the pass, and that’s not something Karlsson can control personally. More than Erik Karlsson adjusting to the Sharks, I think the Sharks need to adjust to Erik Karlsson.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
They do, and they will with PDB. That guy isn't going let his talents go to waste. If they're willing to change system mid season I think they'd be willing to not let EK's passes go to waste.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not to be too homerish, but it makes me think of Ryan Merkley too. He has that Karlsson-esque ability to see passes so creatively that it seems like they’re watching the game from above, but none of his teammates are anticipating them.

I think the issue right now is this: in Ottawa, his teammates’ strategy was essentially “get open and get ready to receive a pass from Karlsson”. The Sharks have much more structure than that and aren’t used to the play revolving around a single player. When Burns takes over games, he really doesn’t need his teammates to do anything. He’s a one-man wrecking crew. On the other hand, When Karlsson takes over games, he makes his teammates better by setting them up in good situations. But it’s on his teammates to put themselves in good situations in the first place and be ready to receive the pass, and that’s not something Karlsson can control personally. More than Erik Karlsson adjusting to the Sharks, I think the Sharks need to adjust to Erik Karlsson.

Yep. that is kind of what I am getting at. The Sharks need to learn about Karlsson's tendencies. I think shooters like Kane, Meier, Hertl etc. could end up having amazing year(s) if they work to learn Karlsson's playmaking tendencies. Like you pointed out Burns overwhelms other teams by his physical play and becoming a one man wrecking crew. He is a an amazing wrister which aids in that.

At their best they are both game breakers. Just different types.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I liked that moment after Burns misfired on two Karlsson feeds between those guys, where they kinda smiled and chatted after. I think THOSE two are going to start clicking on the PP and it’s going to be a sight to behold.

But you can tell there are moments where Karlsson clicks and it’s magic (he’s had that a couple of times with Labanc, feels like).

But also... I continue to think our team has outplayed every team they’ve played so far for the majority of the games. They’re working out kinks but at moments they look wildly superior. We haven’t played an AMAZING team yet but that’s still a good sign because I think there’s room for us to get MUCH better.

I predict Karlsson is going to put together a great game soon and it’ll all sorta click.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
This loss was so stupid. It would have guaranteed a winning record on the road trip. Now they somehow have to win an early game against the Devils. Hopefully their bodies have adjusted to the time zone after being there almost a week and they don't play as shitty as they usually do in early games.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Karlsson looks a little uncomfortable playing with Burns. Maybe putting him with one of the younger guys or even Braun wouldn't be a bad idea. What's up with Couture? He is so lacklustre to start the season. Special teams on both ends need to pick it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->